RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 Side Mirror Paint Problem. What action to take

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 08:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Absolutely. The rear trim piece which was replaced 2 years ago is now faded again. Tells you about the supplier of the trim piece.

Just member it is not all Toyota, they have to rely on their supplier.
Old 04-20-12, 09:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Absolutely. The rear trim piece which was replaced 2 years ago is now faded again. Tells you about the supplier of the trim piece.
Can you clarify which rear trim piece you are referring to for this old man? The rear step pad on the bumper?
Old 04-21-12, 02:41 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! This is good to know. Thanks for sharing the pictures because I have the same color except mine is an '09. I will keep a look out to see if it peels.

Does anyone know if there's a way to prevent the color from peeling? Will adding another clear coat prevent the issue?

I've looked at some of the forums and from what I recall reading that 1.) it's difficult to wire the side signal covers and the puddle light 2.) that theres issues with one side of the cover that doesn't always fit properly and that it has to be sanded down?
Old 04-23-12, 01:35 PM
jrs21c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here,

So after posting here, I decided to talk to the dealer. I went to the dealership and asked what they could do.
They suggested me to contact the service manager directly and explained the situation. So I called him on following Monday.
The service manager told me he would have to see the car in person, but he was aware of the problem.
I brought the car two days later, and service manager quickly confirmed the problem.
He was even checking the door handle which according to this forum and to him, also peels.

He said, he will have to check with the paint guy, but he will probably be able to get it repainted for us. He said he'd give me a call.
About 5 days later, someone from Lexus called and told me that the service manager said 'ok'.
According to him, it was 'one time good will' repair by the service manager.

So we brought the car in, and the mirror is repainted the next day (they had a long wait for paint)

What I learned: I asked the same question to both the service manager and the guy who was assisting me on this problem.

To sum up, they see these problems on some cars, not limited to RX3350, or Bamboo colors.
They've seen it on GS, IS, black, and silver. Sometimes on chrome door handles as well.

Suggestion:
If you are having a similar problem, contact your dealer, but try to contact at the manager level.
They are the decision makers and will be willing to help, and aware of the problem.

Also, the service manager told me you could prevent or slow down the problem if you wax the car well.

thanks everyone, and good luck to you all!!
Old 04-23-12, 04:59 PM
Jmaxoz
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Peeling Paint

I am having the SAME problem! I just noticed the paint is severly peeled off my side mirrors this past weekend AND today I noticed the trunk just about the area you open it manually is also beginning to peel!
The color is also Bamboo Green. I bought it new in Sept./Oct. 2007. It's my first Lexus and I am soooo disappointed and not sure what to do!
Old 04-23-12, 06:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmaxoz
I am having the SAME problem! I just noticed the paint is severly peeled off my side mirrors this past weekend AND today I noticed the trunk just about the area you open it manually is also beginning to peel!
The color is also Bamboo Green. I bought it new in Sept./Oct. 2007. It's my first Lexus and I am soooo disappointed and not sure what to do!
Welcome to Club Lexus and sorry to hear about your paint problem. I think jrs21c has provided you with some sage advice having just gone through this himself. You are going to be looking for some dealer goodwill here.
Old 04-25-12, 06:41 AM
Gavinw35
Rookie

I have the same issue on my Rx330 Bamboo paint color as well only on the side mirrors.. very frustrating my dealer also is not "kind" to say in the nicest of ways and im in the same boat you are. 2008 RX350 Side Mirror Paint Problem. What action to take-photo-12.jpg

2008 RX350 Side Mirror Paint Problem. What action to take-photo-11.jpg

Lexus needs to do something about this problem especially if its happening to a 2007.. This is ridiculous to have a Saturn paint job on a $40,000 suv.
Old 04-25-12, 02:02 PM
mandyfig

Unfortunately after the headlamp issue, this is the other prevalent failure.
Old 04-25-12, 02:05 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by jrs21c
OP here,

So after posting here, I decided to talk to the dealer. I went to the dealership and asked what they could do.
They suggested me to contact the service manager directly and explained the situation. So I called him on following Monday.
The service manager told me he would have to see the car in person, but he was aware of the problem.
I brought the car two days later, and service manager quickly confirmed the problem.
He was even checking the door handle which according to this forum and to him, also peels.

He said, he will have to check with the paint guy, but he will probably be able to get it repainted for us. He said he'd give me a call.
About 5 days later, someone from Lexus called and told me that the service manager said 'ok'.
According to him, it was 'one time good will' repair by the service manager.

So we brought the car in, and the mirror is repainted the next day (they had a long wait for paint)

What I learned: I asked the same question to both the service manager and the guy who was assisting me on this problem.

To sum up, they see these problems on some cars, not limited to RX3350, or Bamboo colors.
They've seen it on GS, IS, black, and silver. Sometimes on chrome door handles as well.

Suggestion:
If you are having a similar problem, contact your dealer, but try to contact at the manager level.
They are the decision makers and will be willing to help, and aware of the problem.

Also, the service manager told me you could prevent or slow down the problem if you wax the car well.

thanks everyone, and good luck to you all!!
Had my 4 door handles replaced. My 2 side mirrors and the trim above the tag (which is now faded again).

Plus the trims all around the doors, they are super faded. The Bamboo Color is a tough color to maintain. But brand new, it has the "changing shade" look. It can be mistaken for green, silver...etc.
Old 04-25-12, 06:52 PM
RUBZERK
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can i get the passenger side mirror ?

i just need the glass w/ heat
Old 06-05-12, 09:05 PM
huyen66
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrs21c
Hello, everyone.
I have a question to ask this forum.
My mom purchased a new 2008 RX350 in late 07.
The car is in Green pearl bamboo color. A great car. Easy to maintain, great power, and smooth ride and all.

Anyways, to make the long story short, we've spotted a paint problem from a few years back (probably 2 years or so). The paint is peeling off on the side view mirrors. And only the side view mirrors... It's getting worse and worse every year. I tried to search how we can fix the problem, maybe a year ago, and found that warranty on the paint was 3 years. So stopped searching any deeper.

When I came to my parent's place yesterday, she brought it up again, and I went out to check the paint problem again.. and I wasn't very happy about it.

I am guessing I could contact the dealership first.. but the dealership she goes to (or I take her car to) isn't a kind place.. I was wondering what kind of actions I could take with these types of problems. Or if these were common problems on the same color or same model. Maybe contact directly the Lexus headquarters?

I've searched it before, and I saw one short description of a similar problem. But I couldn't find an appropriate guide to solve the problem.

I am including pictures I took today.
Driver's side is a lot worse, and passenger side is better, but it is only a matter of time to be like the other side.

I'll start with the passenger side.

Driver's side

Thanks for reading, and any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.
hello. my car rx350 .2007 i have same problem . and the door handle do the same . i make concern 2 week ago but they say my warranties out and they don't do not thing for this, i think we need to make the complaint the same time may be they looking back
Old 06-19-12, 06:51 AM
Jmaxoz
Driver School Candidate

Angry Peeling Paint RX350

Ok, so I took my car into a dealer for my peeling paint on the side mirrors, trunk and to replace the rubber part that covers the handle to manually open the trunk which is now like a sticky gumball.
The Service guy took photos and told me he'd call me within a few days to see what they could do. Several weeks later, I received a call. (yes, I called him twice beforehand) and he told me since my car is out of warranty, there was nothing they could do.
So, I (we all) spend $45k+ on a new Lexus and 3 yrs later I (we all) have to drive around with the paint peeling off, of which, I am not satisfied with so, I contacted Lexus Corp. yesterday and they told me they needed an estimate of replacement/repairment costs and to take it to another dealership.
There is obviously a defect in the paint. I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban and the paint on it is immaculate and it was $15k cheaper brand new and my husband has an ES350 in white and he doesn't have any paint issues on his car.
I hope and pray they fix it without any out of pocket costs to me otherwise, it's going to look bad and the trade-in or resell of the vehicle is going to hurt.
Old 02-04-14, 09:04 PM
kriace
Driver School Candidate

Default Defective paint on side mirror

The paint on both side view mirrors on my 2008 is defective also. I noticed a small spot earlier. Now it is about 50 cent size. The driver's side actually has the paint off in a spot. The passenger side is similar to the photos here.
My dealer Westside Lexus in Houston is very good. I will take it in to see what they will do.
Old 08-28-14, 03:28 AM
Silantra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Millennium Silver 2006 Millennium Silver RX400H, that I bought used. The black portion that holds the driver side mirror (and not the cover) had the paint bubble then, peel off. Where can I buy new LED, heated, memory mirrors. I suspect the PS mirror was also repainted. I have the local Toyota dealership service the car, because the Lexus dealer 1 1/2 hrs away. Help!