RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tips on buying a 04' rx330 over 80,000

Old 04-02-12, 05:28 PM
mintyice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on buying a 04' rx330 over 80,000

I am looking into buying a 2004 rx330 with over 80,000 or almost 100,000 miles. I don't know yet what it will be, but I have been reading some of the forums of the problems, just wanted to ask if anyone has some tips on what to look for, before I buy it. Dealer friend will get me a good deal on one. Any tips will help. Thanks
Old 04-04-12, 01:34 PM
rsen99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 04 has been pretty flawless except fo a 'bumpy' transmission sometimes. However, I would look for timing belt changed and any transmission work done.

The other thing to look for would be features, best one on this car is the auto-closing rear hatch... super handy
Old 04-04-12, 07:28 PM
gt1209
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mintyice
I am looking into buying a 2004 rx330 with over 80,000 or almost 100,000 miles. I don't know yet what it will be, but I have been reading some of the forums of the problems, just wanted to ask if anyone has some tips on what to look for, before I buy it. Dealer friend will get me a good deal on one. Any tips will help. Thanks
Check for headlight condensation. I just got mine replaced. I found out about it after a car wash but I think other checking methods have been mentioned in this forum. Do a test drive to see if you could hear rattles between 40 - 70 MPH and see how smooth the transmission shifts...
Old 04-04-12, 11:25 PM
phisig
Pole Position

Just snapped an '04, I think I did OK, power rear hatch, no paintwork, cali car, base. 95k on the clock. Records from dealer every 5k and timing belt. Glad to be back in the lexus game.
Old 04-06-12, 04:24 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

At a 100k miles, that's almost due for spark plugs in addition to timing belt (should be replaced by now), plus many fluid changes.

Look at the maintenance schedule in the lexus site. I've about 194K kilometers on my 2004. I've had issues though.

Last edited by lex_rx; 04-07-12 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 05:17 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Also, listen for a rumble from the rear wheel bearings above 45 mph. They are a weak point.
Old 04-14-12, 04:43 PM
mintyice
Driver School Candidate

Default Tips for buying

thank you for you suggestions. I just put a down payment on a 2004 RX 330 with 96,000 miles, Nav/DVD, Mark Levinson sound. I had seen it on a car site 240 miles away and when I called they told me it was sold. Then I found another one in NV, the man wanted $18,500, with all the same features, but then the bank told me I could only do 48 month payments and they were over my budget. So I passed. Then I kept seening that same one again, this week and I called again and they told me the person changed thier mind. So I asked him if they would lower the price from $15,758 to $15,000 and he said probably only acouple hundreds only, so I told him call me if you do. That night checking again if there were newly listed, I saw it reduced to $14,987. I have not seen one this cheap with all these goodies, and I have been looking around, and my dealer friend said to find one cheap could take months! So I called him 1st thing in the morning and he didn't even know, and said well higher office must need to sell it, because its been here for a while. So I put money to hold RX. And I was concerned not being able to see it in person, and it was AWD not FWD, and he guaranteed that he wouldnt make me go so far if it wasnt in the condition that they said it was in, and they have a 72 hour buy back guarantee, and so on. Since the dealership is also owns the lexus dealership next door, he mentioned the 90k service was done at the lexus dealership and they had the papers on it, they guarantee that everything has been checked and it had more the 50% on anything they replaced it , and the tires have about 20,000 left, filled with nitogen(I don't know it that is good?), but the car I asume it is priced below because it did have an accident, bags did not deploy, when it had 30,000 miles, this is was I think about that,(my husband has bought all his trucks at those auctions) if it would have been bad, so many airbags, none deployed, the owner had paid a whole lot of money for it and decided to keep it, instead of fighting for new one, I assume this was a very minor fender bender, and I think everyone got put off of this rx being in an accident. I see it to an advantage. Am I wrong? I had hoped for white, but the color is bamboo pearl, I can live with it, I just want tan interior. I was really bored of my gray on gray on my good and faithful 01 Lexus ES 300, with over 108,000 miles. I test drove many cars and suv's 2010 Terrain, felt like a truck and it was black on black super black tint, I felt like a man, 2010 CX-7, felt like I was going to be lifted with the wind. I could not compare anything to the lexus. I have always admired the beautiful lines of the rx, and said one day I will have one. I accept all feed back and opinions, I will not pick up the car until next weekend 4/21.
Old 04-14-12, 05:21 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations, sounds like a nice car that's been well cared for. A no bags wreck 60k ago shouldn't be too much to worry about, if it were going to cause problems it would probably have shown up by now. Best of luck and show us some pics. Gonna be a long week isn't it!
Old 04-27-12, 07:31 AM
mintyice
Driver School Candidate

Default No more RX330

Wow, so much went on, I did not get the car after all. My dealer friend talked me out of it and said it was too much for that mileage and that it had been in an accident. I asked for lexus dealer report and after the accident it said it had oil leaking from cylinder block, but it had been repaired. So I took friends advice and got my money back. The car other than that was always serviced at lexus dealer. Oh well! I read on some posts to stay away from all rx330 because of tranny problems, how true is this???? I dont think the reviews would be so great if it was that bad. I am wondering if it is like my previous 01' lexus es300 it had 108,000 and I did notice if I did not warm up the car long enough it would take a long time to get in the next gear and the rpms would go high and the car would not go, but if I would let it warm up with enough time it was fine, Is this the same thing??? Can someone please let me know. I really want and rx and I an not that type that switches cars alot I drive them for a very long time. Dealer friend trying to convince me into getting a Nissan altima 2010 or 11, I really dont want that, I rather have and older rx. My previous es was so good to me and the ride was so smooth that I test drive anything else I wish I hadnt sold it!

If tranny is an issue is it only the ones from canada or also from Japan? Is it all of them the FWD Or the AWD? Please any response is welcome!
Old 04-27-12, 09:30 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Transmissions really haven't been an issue on the 330 beyond reprogramming some early ones. The 1st gen RX did have a reputation for early transmission failures but not the 330.

The shifting delay when cold is a feature not a bug, the point is to get the engine to operating temperature as soon as possible.

Being in NM, you might concentrate on FWD rather than an AWD. There are simply exponentially more things to break with AWD.

You sound as though this is a stressful situation for you and you are fearful of making a mistake. All you can do is make sure the car in front of you has been well maintained, is in good condition right now. A car that is cosmetically maintained will probably have been mechanically cared for as well.

These are very good cars, their few weaknesses are well documented here:

Headlight condensation
Power steering rack leak
Transmission ECU flash (early cars)
Wheel bearings
Timing belt replacement

If a 330 is what you want then find the best one you can at the best price and buy it.

Here's 900 to look at!

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...e/Lexus_RX+330
Old 04-28-12, 01:05 PM
badabing1
Driver School Candidate

looking to sell our rx330 this summer hopefully. theyre good cars plus dont show their age considering the styling is still current.
Old 04-30-12, 08:23 AM
fmLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Service Records

Check the service records to see if the car has been maintained on a regular schedule. Drive the car - listen to the transmission and engine sounds, and check the ride. Then check out the body for signs of repairs and inquire whether the car has been in an accident. Even at +85K the car should be in very good shape.
Old 04-30-12, 09:07 AM
tomit
Rookie

Spend money to have a trusted mechanic look it over thoroughly.
Old 04-30-12, 04:00 PM
badabing1
Driver School Candidate

also, you can have a lexus dealer run the vin to see anything a lexus dealer did to it like maintenance, repairs, etc.
Old 05-24-12, 09:29 PM
mintyice
Driver School Candidate

Default The latest on RX330 Search

Today I went to a Dealer to see a Pearl white, 2006 RX330, 97,000miles, 1 owner, Autocheck score 93, were asking $18,900. They let me have for $15,500( as Dad does upholstery for them) they are doing the timing belt and I took it to a mechanic and he found it needed transmission serviced(fluids)and fuel filter, but no codes came out on computer, and he recommened water pump too, since they are doing the belt. So they said they would do all,except I pay for the water pump(part), they pay labor. Well mechanic said it looked really good and it was a good buy and good car, that once I fix those things it should be fine. It does have 1 light with condensation, dealer said to take out bulb and put compessed air to dry, someone mentioned a thread about that, I will look for it. I go back tomarrow and see how things go. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips on buying a 04' rx330 over 80,000