RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Great news! My pulley failed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 03:21 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great news! My pulley failed!

Yesterday a noise developed in the front end.. It was a low mechanical whine/growl similar to the sound PS makes when it's low on fluid but deeper. It made another noise that sounded for all the world like the sound a squirrel makes if there's a cat around, kind of a low rapid coughing.

I had planned to get the pulley done this month anyway so I called Sewell to reserve a loaner and headed off on back roads never getting over 1500 rpm. The noise was scary and non-stop.

I waited around Sewell to get the diagnosis (in case it was some wildly expensive Lexus thing that my independent could do cheaper) and after about an hour the SA told me the pulley had indeed failed and had compromised EVERY SINGLE BELT, PULLY, AND TENSIONER INCLUDING THE TIMING BELT!

All will be replaced under the recall!

They gave me a 2012 RX350 for a loaner and this is my first experience with one. The feel is not unfamiliar when you get in, pretty much like my 330 but seems a bit closer in. The center console is very different and it took me about a nano second to fall in love with the mouse. Within minutes, I was so spoiled I was whining to myself about actually having to move my hand 6 inches to turn up the volume on the radio instead of having a control from the mouse! Love it, want it.

There's no getting around it, the ride is rough, railroad tracks have once again become an adventure. Not sure I like that too much. The body seems looser than my 330 but I think that may be a reaction to the stiffness of the suspension. The steering, handling and power are superior to my 330 but I'm undecided on the comfort tradeoff for those things.

I'm not sure I see three times the value of my car in the new one or even twice the value for a used one.

A thankfully rare sight for me...

Hmmm...

Old 03-22-12, 04:02 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You were lucky it was drivable. How many miles did you have on odometer when it failed?
Old 03-22-12, 04:08 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You were lucky it was drivable. How many miles did you have on odometer when it failed?
76086, this is the first one I've heard of actually failing. I asked them if I should drive it or tow it but I'm only about 6 miles from the dealer and they said drive so off I went, scary though.
Old 03-22-12, 04:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Those were my feelings about the new RX. Clearly my RX330 rides much better. I also dislike the visibility out the back of the new RX. The head restraints in the rear seats just block too much view to the rear.

All that said, the 2013 model has got my attention.
Old 03-22-12, 04:20 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Those were my feelings about the new RX. Clearly my RX330 rides much better. I also dislike the visibility out the back of the new RX. The head restraints in the rear seats just block too much view to the rear.

All that said, the 2013 model has got my attention.
I never said I'd kick one out of bed for eating crackers. I think the wheels on my loaner are the 19s and maybe the 18s with taller tires and lower tire pressure would do a little better, it was just kind of shocking to feel the difference. And I agree about the visibility.
Old 03-22-12, 04:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I feel the same way about the new RX as well. I prefer my RX300 when compared to my brothers RX450h, I feel like my RX300 can take more of a beating than the 450h. lol It feels more solid. I'll be sticking with the RX300 for quite some time.

At least you got a free timing belt out of them. lol
Old 03-22-12, 11:18 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am shocked but very happy it's getting fixed. Funny my PS noises too this week more than usual but thankful I have an appointment to bring it in Friday. I always get a loaner and free tank! However the pulley is a six hour job so it's justifiable.

Praying there is nothing really bad with mine. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 03-23-12, 03:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Carver, sorry to hear about your 330 but glad Lexus is picking up the bill. Have fun in the loaner. My first thought, it's not white. How will you survive It looks like you have the 19" tires based on the number of spokes. I like the ride better than the 18's, probably more when I change the tires out next week.

Hope your 330 comes back to you good as new
Old 03-23-12, 05:02 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, but I guess you're glad you get a free timing belt job out of them...
What was the first picture about?
Old 03-23-12, 06:59 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99rx
Sorry to hear about that, but I guess you're glad you get a free timing belt job out of them...
What was the first picture about?
Just showing the car loaner dept. That was actually taken when I went back to get my house keys.

Anita, driving a black loaner is just one of the many sacrifices I'm willing to make for my baby!
Old 03-23-12, 08:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Carver, as far as the ride is concerned on the 2012. A lot of times the dealer`s will over inflate the tires so that is probably the reason for that. Also, (since I have had so many new RX`s as loaners) The Michelin tires ride better, handle better, and overall look nicer than the Bridgestone tires.
Old 03-23-12, 08:19 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

You're probably right 114, I shouldn't judge them from one ride. LOL, I would put up with a lot to get that mouse!
Old 03-23-12, 08:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I definitely like the Power and handling the new RX`s have. Also, more than likely they have regular unleaded in it. That 3.5 Liter really comes alive when you run Premium in it!
Old 03-23-12, 08:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Carver, I guess for a few days you can survive in a non-white vehicle. It's not the end of the world, LOL. I can't comment on how well the Michelins ride because I have the Dunlops. They're going south at 16K already so everything else is probably much better. The RX drives better with a few extra pounds in the tires. It'll take moving up to the 450h to be able to read the tire pressure from inside. I agree, the mouse is great. It takes a while to get used to, same with keyless start. I now enjoy a nav screen without fingerprints and the ability to get into my RX, push the start button and be on my way. Enjoy it will you have it.
Old 03-23-12, 08:47 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Anita, it's ready! Gonna go pick it up now!

Quick Reply: Great news! My pulley failed!