RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Radiator Warranty Run Around

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 09:34 PM
pamada
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Warranty Run Around

Several months ago, my local Lexus service department identified a radiator leak on my 2005 RX330 while it was still under the 7 year/90K mile extended radiator replacement warranty. The service department explained that it would cost me about $1,300 to repair, but they never mentioned anything about an extended warranty or service campaign coverage that I may be eligible for.

After recently replacing a defective crankshaft pulley, Lexus indicated that my radiator is now leaking even more, and also identified a leaking water pump, leaking transmission, leaking differential, bad rear wheel bearing and bad cv axle/joints.

When I contacted Lexus corporate about all the required repairs, they informed me about the extended warranty and agreed to replace the radiator (parts only, labor additional) only if I committed to having all the other repairs performed at my expense.

After I explained to the dealer that I could not afford all the repairs right now, the dealer decided not to honor the extended warranty because I was now 2 months past the 7 year extended deadline (but still under 90K miles). Corporate claims that it's up to the dealer if they want to honor the warranty or not, but I say the radiator should have been fixed months ago when the leak was first identified by Lexus and the vehicle was still covered under the extended warranty.
Old 03-26-12, 10:14 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All that under 90k? That's depressing. Do you have an independent tech? If not, I would look for one.
Old 03-27-12, 05:22 AM
dandg
Driver

They, Lexus replaced ours twice under 90k !I did get some sort of letter from Lexus explaining the warranty had been extended on the Radiators.
Old 03-27-12, 06:58 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I have an '04 and had my radiator replaced after a leak was found. My understanding is that Lexus got a batch of bad radiators with some bad welds, and that some of these would develop leaks prematurely (a well made radiator will last 10 or 20 years without springing a leak). The problem was not widespread, so a general recall was not needed. Rather, when a leaking radiator in a car in the designated group that received or probably received one from this bad batch, Lexus will replace it at no charge to the customer (this charge probably being born by the supplier of the part, rather than by Lexus). If your car is in this range, then your warranty or extended warranty or CPO warranty is not relevant.
I hope that this information helps (I also hope that it is accurate).
Old 03-28-12, 04:12 PM
2Binformed
Driver School Candidate

Default replaced radiator 12/2011 on 2004 RX330

so how do I find out if my vehicle is on the list of "bad batches" of radiators? My dealership was happy to suggest I put in a new one when they found a leak... (in addition to replacing the rear main engine seal, cha-ching!) I'd be happy to argue for some of that money back.
Old 06-21-12, 09:48 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might look at this forum posting. It appears that several people had the radiator on their 2004 model replaced recently at no charge.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...un-around.html
Old 06-21-12, 11:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You might look at this forum posting. It appears that several people had the radiator on their 2004 model replaced recently at no charge.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...un-around.html
Circular logic? YOUR URL IS THIS URL.
Old 06-21-12, 01:55 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Circular logic? YOUR URL IS THIS URL.
oops...
Old 06-21-12, 02:29 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's even worse, I couldn't resist clicking it!
Old 06-21-12, 02:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

In defense of Rainbird, I think he was trying to answer the person in the following thread instead of bringing up an old thread for a reply.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...lant-leak.html
Old 06-25-12, 08:19 AM
968racer
Driver

How do they charge $1300? I changed mine for $225 from Autohaus AZ & in about two hours.
Old 07-31-12, 11:53 AM
swanscn
7th Gear

I am going about the same thing right now, under 7 years under 90K (41K on a 2005 RX). Yesterday they told me incorrectly that it was 8/80 and said they would replace it, this morning they said sorry the 8/80 was for water pumps. I then pointed out the Tech Bulletin #503 issued on 1/30/2006 now they say my radiator is not one of them. When I asked how they can be sure no answer, I requested they contact Lexus and show some Good Will.
What does this mean for you maybe your water pump should have been covered also.
Old 08-05-12, 09:52 AM
swanscn
7th Gear

Just a quick update, I have worked this out with Lexus. While the outcome was not has good as I really wanted, it was one I could live with. Lexus replaced the radiator, and I had to pay a reduced labor rate (part free). I have loved everything to be free, this was a comprise that worked for me. And I did not see a better offer coming my way.
Old 08-05-12, 10:54 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by swanscn
Just a quick update, I have worked this out with Lexus. While the outcome was not has good as I really wanted, it was one I could live with. Lexus replaced the radiator, and I had to pay a reduced labor rate (part free). I have loved everything to be free, this was a comprise that worked for me. And I did not see a better offer coming my way.
and what about the water pump?
Old 12-27-12, 09:19 AM
swanscn
7th Gear

Originally Posted by StLucchese
and what about the water pump?
Sorry, have not been here for awhile, Yes they replaced the water pump also since they noticed a leak.

Quick Reply: Radiator Warranty Run Around