RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX Alternator or Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 11:42 AM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So i went to advanced auto parts to get battery looked at. They told me that the battery was fine. And they couldnt get a read on the alternator. I went to a local shop today and they told me the rx has two alternators. Which would be either 550 or 600 bucks to replace. That seemed a little high for just an alternator.
Old 03-05-12, 12:07 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there no Lexus or Toyota dealer near you?
Old 03-05-12, 12:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kofifi
So i went to advanced auto parts to get battery looked at. They told me that the battery was fine. And they couldnt get a read on the alternator. I went to a local shop today and they told me the rx has two alternators. Which would be either 550 or 600 bucks to replace. That seemed a little high for just an alternator.
If you do not have a local Lexus shop to check our your RX, try a Toyota shop.
Old 03-05-12, 01:35 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You have had this vehicle only 6 days. It seems to me that the eBay Motors seller (Texas-Direct) knowingly sold you a vehicle with a defective alternator. He also listed this vehicle as a CPO, which is deceptive. Only a Lexus dealer can provide a CPO warranty. Also, CPO warranties are not transferable. Did you receive or buy any other warranty on this vehicle?
Old 03-05-12, 01:39 PM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You have had this vehicle only 6 days. It seems to me that the eBay Motors seller (Texas-Direct) knowingly sold you a vehicle with a defective alternator. He also listed this vehicle as a CPO, which is deceptive. Only a Lexus dealer can provide a CPO warranty. Also, CPO warranties are not transferable. Did you receive or buy any other warranty on this vehicle?
I got a 3000 mile powertrain warranty. It covers engine and some other things but it didnt say anything about alternator. I will call them and see if they will replace it.
Old 03-05-12, 01:41 PM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If you do not have a local Lexus shop to check our your RX, try a Toyota shop.
Toyota quoted me a little over 700
Old 03-05-12, 01:51 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did Toyota diagnose it or just a quote for an alternator?
Old 03-05-12, 02:31 PM
kofifi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Did Toyota diagnose it or just a quote for an alternator?
It was just a quote with labor and parts
Old 01-09-15, 03:19 AM
Mexangel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 rx 350

Hey guys,

So i have an issue and need help.
I started my car this morning, I have the 2010 RX 350, and it didn't start. I thought it was the battery.
A co-worker came over to help me out, and jumped started it. Well It ddin't work.
The lights are on, even music plays.
On the dashboard, the lights for Check engine light , and battery came out. No warning at all.
You guys think it's the alternator?
The battery just got chaged, 5 months ago, and the power works.
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I'm stationed in Greece, the island of Crete.

Any ideas, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-15, 05:53 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mexangel
Hey guys,

So i have an issue and need help.
I started my car this morning, I have the 2010 RX 350, and it didn't start. I thought it was the battery.
A co-worker came over to help me out, and jumped started it. Well It ddin't work.
The lights are on, even music plays.
On the dashboard, the lights for Check engine light , and battery came out. No warning at all.
You guys think it's the alternator?
The battery just got chaged, 5 months ago, and the power works.
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I'm stationed in Greece, the island of Crete.

Any ideas, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hard to say, we need more details.
If the engine didn't rotate when you tried to start it then sounds like the starter.
If the engine rotated but didn't start could be a lot of things, the most common one is the fuel pump.
Old 01-09-15, 06:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Our vehicles use the battery quite a bit and the average life of a battery seems to be about 6 years. So as a first step, replacing the battery is not a bad move. A good preventative investment, IMHO.

As mentioned, after replacement, I'd get the charging system tested. The alternator should be pushing out 13.8 volts and the battery around 12 volts.

Once you replace the battery you will need to reinitialize a few settings. The moon-roof, the windows, the rear hatch to name a few. The tech at the Lexus dealer hooked up a small 12 volt battery to the car prior to removing my car battery and replacing it so as not to lose these settings. The folks at Walmart or an auto parts store likely will not do this.

If you need to find the instructions for re-initializing these items, search our forum or ask here after the replacement if you find something is not working as it should.

PS: Welcome to the forum guys.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-09-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 04:32 PM
Woody231
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kofifi
I recently purchased a Lexus RX have owned it for 6 days. The lexus has 69xxx miles on it currently. I know on my old vehicle it would notify me before the alternator started to go out. This morning on my way to church my rx wouldnt start so i jumped it figuring i left something on the vehicle on. When i got outta church the vehicle was dead again. I ran it down to O'reilys and had a teenager hook up a machine to the vehicle he told me that it was probably the alternator because it was pushing out 11amps and the typical vehicle pushes out 14 amps. I asked him if my battery was bad and he said that I should start with the alternator. Should i go get a second opinion? Secondly is there any thing i should look for on the dash that lets me know if the alternator is going out like my previous vehicle did.

How are yall doing and sorry for the rant
Batteries have plates in them much like stacking plates in a dishwasher . Pieces of the plates can break and fall between the plates shorting out your battery . Also check battery cables for corrosion and your alternator for a lose or stretched belt .