RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-12-14, 03:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

very angry...previous owner put power steering fluid

Old 02-28-12, 01:38 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default very angry...previous owner put power steering fluid

Right....so i went and bought Mobile 1 ATF fluid so i could do the turkey baster method to slowly change out the powerstreeing fluid.....From what i remember, ATF fluid goes from Red --> brown if it is over used.....

Now...when i open the cover of the power steering reservoir, i see a clear liquid which resembles power steering fluid NOT ATF fluid.

What do i do here? I don't think mixing the ATF and power steering fluid is a good idea...and if i take it to the dealer they will probably want to change the whole unit cause i didn't conform to blah blah blah...

Anybody have had this experience before or have any suggestions what i should do?

Oz
Old 02-28-12, 06:49 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you doing power steering fluid or transmission fluid (ATF). If you opened the power steering reservoir and the fluid looks like power steering fluid why are you looking for ATF fluid? Are you using the manufacturer specified fluid for your power steering? If not, I wouldn't put ATF fluid in the power steering reservoir and get the proper stuff and drain and fill the reservoir.
Old 02-28-12, 06:53 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Drain the system... turkey baster won't get all of it out.

Originally Posted by draco
Are you doing power steering fluid or transmission fluid (ATF). If you opened the power steering reservoir and the fluid looks like power steering fluid why are you looking for ATF fluid? Are you using the manufacturer specified fluid for your power steering? If not, I wouldn't put ATF fluid in the power steering reservoir and get the proper stuff and drain and fill the reservoir.
These cars use ATF as the fluid for PS... which is stupid since mistakes like in the OP happen all the time.
Old 02-28-12, 06:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Draco, factory spec power steering fluid for the 2nd Generation RX IS ATF Dextron II or III. Here is the Owner's Manual picture:

very angry...previous owner put power steering fluid-psf.png

If they put in power steering fluid they were wrong.
Old 02-28-12, 07:01 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

option 1, do the turkey baster method once a week for several weeks until you are satisfied most but not all the fluid has been replaced.

option 2, take your car to a non toyota/lexus service station and have them drain a fill / replace fluid. at least this way toyota lexus wont know about it in case there is an issue in the future.

lets be honest, if there is a problem, lexus will not send you fuild to a lab to test for proper type.
Old 02-28-12, 07:09 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

This URL might help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...uid-flush.html
Old 02-28-12, 01:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I took a spray bottle, and just un-screwed the nozzle part and put that part into the reservoir and squirted the ATF out into a bottle. Basically same thing as the turkey baster method, but this worked quicker, and got more fluid out.
Old 02-28-12, 08:27 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealerships use clear power steering fluid, like from the factory, to help distinguish particulates and condition more easily.

Plus it looks better to the guest.
Old 02-29-12, 06:45 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isnt to hard to remove the reservoir. Just take it out that way you empty the all the spare storage
Old 02-29-12, 08:51 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

great ideas, i will choose the full switch as a last resort as i'll have to overcome language barrier here in Hong Kong.

For the slow swap out (turkey baster / spray bottle) i still haven't seen anyone reply if mixing the ATF and power steering fluid will do any serious damage or gunk.?
Old 03-01-12, 10:40 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go to Bobistheoilguy.com and post your question. Some of them are petro engineers that might be able to tell you about compatibility and mixing. Both atf and ps teering fluid are hydraulic fluids derived from petroleum so I think if you'd be fine doing the spray bottle method several times
Old 03-06-12, 12:38 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

So it's not something I need to go to the dealer for? Is it really as easy as that link says for the 1st gen and 2nd Gen?? I need to do this asap.
Old 12-04-14, 02:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
I took a spray bottle, and just un-screwed the nozzle part and put that part into the reservoir and squirted the ATF out into a bottle. Basically same thing as the turkey baster method, but this worked quicker, and got more fluid out.
Bump.

Great tip. Thanks.
Old 12-04-14, 05:11 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

In the past I have changed the power steering fluid myself by removing the return hose from the reservoir, aiming the hose into a gallon jug.. Then I get an assistant to start the car and begin to turn the wheel back and forth until the fluid stops squirting. Then I poor in a new bottle and have the assistant turn the wheel a couple more times to clean out any residual fluid. Turn off the car, put the hose back on and fill up the reservoir with new fluid. Then start the car and turn the wheel a few times to get air out of the line and then fill the reservoir again to the FULL line. This worked for me on my F150, TL, and X3. I haven't had to do it on the RX since the hybrid has electric power steering. The only downside to this method is it can get a little messy...But if you are careful you can do it without getting covered in fluid.
Old 12-04-14, 05:13 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Or if I had just read the link that RX350inFL had posted, I could have avoided typing all of that. LOL