RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What's the best Ipod & Bluetooth adapter?

Old 02-07-12, 12:28 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's the best Ipod & Bluetooth adapter?

This isn't my area of expertise and I need to hear from those of you who really are well informed in this area. What's the best ipod & bluetooth adapter? I have ML with navigation and I'm looking for something obviously compatable with that. Would like something that shows text on screen and can be controlled from the steering wheel. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 02-07-12, 10:59 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bluetooth

Steve
If you do a search of this web page. You will find a couple hundred topix on installing all types of stereo equipment in the RX.
Old 02-08-12, 03:16 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VAIS Tech for ipod integration - http://www.vaistech.com/dev/home.php
Old 02-09-12, 01:12 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for your response. I'm not adverse to using the search function (and have many times), I was looking to get some recent feedback from those of you who have used the latest technology available and your opinions about it.
Old 02-11-12, 06:59 PM
drewcam888
Driver

I have a stock toyota unit that is for sale. I think it is great for the price versus vais. PM me if interested
Old 02-26-12, 06:07 PM
stevek1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on the new hello thread, but I just tried an isimple and I did not get playlist text. I am thinking about a $360 one from Neo Car Audio that even gives artwork on the nav screen and also cancels the Nav imput lockout when the car is moving. I imagine that would get annoying after using Garmins for years.

but I'd sure like a review of the PODLEXS:L21C-16
http://www.neocaraudio.com/cars/2007.../PODLEXSL2IC16

Last edited by stevek1; 03-01-12 at 03:21 PM. Reason: link is no longer good?
Old 09-12-14, 12:50 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Looking for a good bluetooth solution for my GS450h. I had isimple and it developed a short.
Old 09-12-14, 03:46 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a Vaistech SL3B a few weeks ago and I love it. It connects through bluetooth, you can control everything through the steering wheel, song info shows on the screen, and it even automatically presses the "Agree" button on the navigation.

Last edited by jakenbake; 09-14-14 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 09:14 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I got the dice media bridge which does aux, USB, Bluetooth audio for $100 on amazon and did the install in less than an hour. Works flawlessly
Old 09-14-14, 02:01 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I had the Dice MediaBridge before my current interface and my battery kept dying after a day or two. Took the car to Lexus and they traced the parasitic draw to the Dice interface. It was drawing about 250ma when the car was off (normal is < 50ma). Since I got rid of the Dice and went to Vaistech, I haven't had a dead battery. It could have just been that I had a faulty unit, but regardless, I will never buy another Dice (Audiovox) product again.
Old 10-17-14, 04:19 PM
dndell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to make the same decision for my 2008 RX450H (with Nav - Sat Capable but not installed, and w/o DVD). I'd trust Vaistech more, but I need both Ipod Classic connectivity as well as Bluetooth for my Iphone, and I don't believe there's a single solution for that from Vaistech. My favorite car audio installer is selling the Isimple ISTY651 but will also install the Mediabridge AMBR-1500-TOY. Probably both have bugs, but any recent experiences with either would be appreciated.

Last edited by dndell; 10-17-14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 05:12 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

You are right. If you go Vaistech you have to buy both units and it ends up being rather expensive. But I would be weary of the MediaBridge, as it killed my car battery. But like I said in an earlier post, it could have just been a faulty unit.
Old 10-18-14, 07:25 AM
Bobomo
Driver School Candidate

I tried the mediabridge and either it's terrible or I got a bad unit. Wouldn't auto connect, wouldn't display text after first pairing. Either way, they never responded to my support ticket so I sent it back. Vaistech was more expensive but so far, it is as advertised.
Old 10-18-14, 01:57 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I agree with Bobomo about the customer service aspect....When I discovered the MediaBridge was what was draining the battery, I tried to resolve the problem with Audiovox and they kept trying to blame the problem on the installation which makes no sense since it is plug and play. After several emails of them trying to deflect the blame I gave up and bought the Vaistech. When the iPhone 6 came out I was having a few bluetooth problems and contacted Vaistech and they were very quick to respond and happy to help find a solution. Turned out that the problem is with iOS 8. iOS 8.1 is supposed to come out next week and should solve the problem.
Old 10-29-14, 10:11 AM
Bobomo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bobomo
I tried the mediabridge and either it's terrible or I got a bad unit. Wouldn't auto connect, wouldn't display text after first pairing. Either way, they never responded to my support ticket so I sent it back. Vaistech was more expensive but so far, it is as advertised.
I ended up returning the Vaistech. It worked better than the Mediabridge, but the text functions did not work properly. On two modern Android phones the behaviors were different. Sony phone: text worked on first track only. Text remained until unit was shut off and restarted. LG phone: text had funny characters at the beginning of track name and disc name never updated. Support was helpful but was incapable or unwilling to dive deep into the problem. The result was they blamed the phones.

So that made it a rather expensive auxiliary input. Since I can get that functionality cheaper, that's what I'll try next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the best Ipod & Bluetooth adapter?