RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

First Car Decisions! Acura TL or RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 01:27 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoldman
Tampa area.
That means probably one of two schools (without naming them). As you are well aware, the roads in south Tampa area and Town 'n Country are prone to flooding. With the RX you get a couple of inches more of ground clearance. Does not mean you can go driving through anything but it is nice to have. When I have ventured downtown in the past there would be lakes of standing water even on major roads after some of the heavy rains. The only problem with my RX330 in such conditions was that the AC would stop working and the AC light would start blinking. If I turned the AC off and then back on again everything was fine. Was told by the dealer this was normal and was to protect the system. Didn't really buy the explanation, however, they were not going to do anything about it anyway.

The major downside will be that you will see plenty other RX's on the roads as I am sure you have noticed.

As for using it for college, keep in mind that unless you commute many schools do not let freshman have a vehicle on campus. So, you would be using it mainly to get your stuff there and back. Do you have the towing package? Down the road you might look into that so you can get a bike kit to attach to it if desired.
Old 02-05-12, 01:31 PM
bgoldman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
That means probably one of two schools (without naming them). As you are well aware, the roads in south Tampa area and Town 'n Country are prone to flooding. With the RX you get a couple of inches more of ground clearance. Does not mean you can go driving through anything but it is nice to have. When I have ventured downtown in the past there would be lakes of standing water even on major roads after some of the heavy rains. The only problem with my RX330 in such conditions was that the AC would stop working and the AC light would start blinking. If I turned the AC off and then back on again everything was fine. Was told by the dealer this was normal and was to protect the system. Didn't really buy the explanation, however, they were not going to do anything about it anyway.

The major downside will be that you will see plenty other RX's on the roads as I am sure you have noticed.

As for using it for college, keep in mind that unless you commute many schools do not let freshman have a vehicle on campus. So, you would be using it mainly to get your stuff there and back. Do you have the towing package? Down the road you might look into that so you can get a bike kit to attach to it if desired.
We don't live near T&C, but the flooding is a usual occurrence even in our area. We, too, have had the AC issue, but I have also read it to be completely normal. All colleges I would consider allow for vehicles on campus as a freshman so I'm not too worried. I'm not saying I need the cargo room daily, but it's nice to have nevertheless. I am not expecting to be unique in any vehicle (tons of TL and RX on the road) but not a single person at my school has either vehicle.
Old 02-05-12, 01:42 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

As others posters stated you can't go wrong with either, however, the RX loaded the way yours is, is a much more versatile vehicle. I think you will love it!
Old 02-05-12, 01:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The RX turns off the A/C, when the belt starts to slip because of any water that made it's way onto the belt. At that point, the light starts blinking, and the compressor shuts down.
Old 02-05-12, 07:01 PM
jtaylor3
Rookie

I've owned both (04 TL, 08 RX400h) and they are both great cars. I'd say go with whatever you enjoy driving the most. For me the TL is a lot more involving to drive and has a much better sound system (I don't have the ML system in the RX). However, I got tired of not being able to get up my steep driveway in the snow. I assume in Florida you won't have that problem.

Go with what your heart tells you. I don't think either one would be a bad choice.

Jeff
08 RX400h
Old 02-06-12, 11:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Go with the Lexus. you wont be sorry

Last edited by kitlz; 02-06-12 at 11:46 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 02-06-12, 11:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Guys, please keep the comments constructive.
Old 02-06-12, 11:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitlz
Guys, please keep the comments constructive.

I`m sorry........
Old 02-14-12, 11:53 AM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Thumbs up

Im 16 too and I got the 2004 RX330 for my first car, we have a 2005 Jaguar S-type 4.2 (53,000 miles) that I really wanted and my mom ended up taking it when she turned in her cadi. I got the lexus at 80,000 miles so it was up there but I havnt had any problems with it. The funny thing is I end up getting the Jag every time something goes wrong with it (coolant leak, bad rotors, a/c module replaced) and my mom takes the Lexus because she likes it better. I like the high driving position in the RX and get sick of being down low. It's fun to get the Jag every once in a while but theres something with the Lexus that I keep going back to. Ive been driving a 2006 Range Rover Sport the last two weeks and I cant believe im saying this but the RX blows it away when driving and of course with gas cost. The Rx is an awesome car for snowboarding hauling around buddies and maintenance costs, I have had my a little over a year and at 95,000 miles it's been a great car I will be really sad to get rid of it before 100,000 miles but the Lexus would be a great choice if you are looking long term!
Old 02-14-12, 12:21 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gavinw35
Im 16 too and I got the 2004 RX330 for my first car, we have a 2005 Jaguar S-type 4.2 (53,000 miles) that I really wanted and my mom ended up taking it when she turned in her cadi. I got the lexus at 80,000 miles so it was up there but I havnt had any problems with it. The funny thing is I end up getting the Jag every time something goes wrong with it (coolant leak, bad rotors, a/c module replaced) and my mom takes the Lexus because she likes it better. I like the high driving position in the RX and get sick of being down low. It's fun to get the Jag every once in a while but theres something with the Lexus that I keep going back to. Ive been driving a 2006 Range Rover Sport the last two weeks and I cant believe im saying this but the RX blows it away when driving and of course with gas cost. The Rx is an awesome car for snowboarding hauling around buddies and maintenance costs, I have had my a little over a year and at 95,000 miles it's been a great car I will be really sad to get rid of it before 100,000 miles but the Lexus would be a great choice if you are looking long term!

Heck dont get rid of it, keep it!
Old 02-14-12, 02:54 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to be cliche but it's like comparing apples and oranges - each has its' advantages. Go with the one that you enjoy driving the most. You really can't go wrong with either one so make your decision, commit to it and enjoy it!
Old 02-14-12, 04:43 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Originally Posted by stevies30
Hate to be cliche but it's like comparing apples and oranges - each has its' advantages. Go with the one that you enjoy driving the most. You really can't go wrong with either one so make your decision, commit to it and enjoy it!
Exactly, they both offer very different driving expierences you just have to decide what you really need in a car. Versatility or the sports sedan feel.
Old 02-14-12, 04:51 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

go with what your heart want....as you know you are gonna keep it for a long while....

good luck
Old 02-14-12, 08:11 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I still insist ,,, purpose first!

Salim
Old 02-15-12, 04:09 PM
SGLexus
Rookie

Default Both are great cars!

Hey whats up I got my first car as an 2005 Lexus ES330. Its a great car and my friend got his fathers 2006 Acura TL and he drives it and the engine is amazing. Another friend a while back got a RX330 as a first car so I have known both that people drive to school. It really depends on the person generally the TL is more of a teenager car than the rx330. But I will say don't let the miles on the rx330 make you pick the TL. Very hard choice! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: First Car Decisions! Acura TL or RX330?