RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

key chain cover broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 04:20 PM
frankt04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key chain cover broken

trying to find an after market key cover, can anyone assist??
called dealer and to replace the plastic cover that holds the electronics, they want $90. figured it can't be more then $1.75 in plastic. can anyone point me in a cheaper direction???

Thanks

Frank
Old 01-27-12, 04:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frankt04
trying to find an after market key cover, can anyone assist??
called dealer and to replace the plastic cover that holds the electronics, they want $90. figured it can't be more then $1.75 in plastic. can anyone point me in a cheaper direction???

Thanks

Frank
Welcome to Club Lexus and the wonderful world of Lexus keys...

If you use the search features of the forum you will find a number of existing threads on this topic. Take a moment to search them out.

If your key has just broken the section of the shell with the Lexus logo you could probably get that fairly inexpensively from a number of sources such as eBay. Unfortunately, many of the keys break the section holding the electronics and the key blade itself necessitating a replacement be purchased -- blade and all. You keep the electronics and move it into the new shell. Thus, the cost. Actually, $90 is not all that expensive depending on what they are providing to you.

Should you need a new set of keys, and you may just want to get extras just in case, you might want to talk to the folks at 1010keys on eBay. Not a recommendation, just that members here who have used them have had good experiences. You can ask them about cutting the keys for you.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/1010keys/m.html
Old 01-28-12, 07:51 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened to me, i ordered a key from dealextreme . com cost me 3.50 delivered. and yes it is a whole key, just not the guts. i simply robbed the back cover which broke, and i am good to go.

it does take a while to get delivered, as it comes from hong kong.
Old 01-29-12, 06:48 AM
frankt04
Driver School Candidate

Default took the cheap route

thanks for the replies, decided to try the cheap route first $3.48 shipped, can't beat it. I booked marked both sites and plan B will be the $30 one on ebay, that is still a lot cheaper then dealers.....

thanks again,

Frank
Old 01-29-12, 06:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
same thing happened to me, i ordered a key from dealextreme . com cost me 3.50 delivered. and yes it is a whole key, just not the guts. i simply robbed the back cover which broke, and i am good to go.

This was a programmed key and it is cut?
Old 01-29-12, 07:16 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by kiwi

This is a good find! Turns out the case side that's broken is always the non-key side. I ordered 3 as I have 2 to replace and 1 spare.

Thank you!
Old 01-29-12, 07:24 AM
frankt04
Driver School Candidate

Default just the key and shell

nope, only the key with the shell, i will move everything over to the new shell and throw out the uncut key.....
Old 01-29-12, 10:30 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was quoted 30 bucks from a locksmith to have the key cut.

this is the only brand i have seen with the chip able to me removed from one key to another, its far superior to the fixed type chip, as when the key breaks, you just salvage what you can.

i have used that site for a couple years now, with only one issue (cell phone case arrived broken, upon emailing them with a picture, they sent a new out out right away)

worst part is the shipping time, i have waited as long as 4 weeks. and keep in mind, most of china shuts down for the month of FEB, for there new year, so, you could be waiting til march for them to process your order.
Old 01-30-12, 06:39 AM
mandyfig

Chinese New Year ends end of JAN I think (I have Taiwanese supplier). They are back to work on 02/01.
Old 01-30-12, 01:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the key is attached to the shell....

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/2794.html

$70.11 with CL discount...you need to have the locksmith to cut the key

ebay would be the cheaper route....good luck
Old 01-31-12, 09:30 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus and the wonderful world of Lexus keys...

If you use the search features of the forum you will find a number of existing threads on this topic. Take a moment to search them out.

If your key has just broken the section of the shell with the Lexus logo you could probably get that fairly inexpensively from a number of sources such as eBay. Unfortunately, many of the keys break the section holding the electronics and the key blade itself necessitating a replacement be purchased -- blade and all. You keep the electronics and move it into the new shell. Thus, the cost. Actually, $90 is not all that expensive depending on what they are providing to you.

Should you need a new set of keys, and you may just want to get extras just in case, you might want to talk to the folks at 1010keys on eBay. Not a recommendation, just that members here who have used them have had good experiences. You can ask them about cutting the keys for you.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/1010keys/m.html
The ebay seller is the best route to go, you give them the key code they will get you 2 keys cut without guts and 3 fancy key chains. what an amazing savings. You just put in the guts in the key shell and you are in business, that makes life lot easier. you do not have to face the dealer and locksmith either.
Old 06-06-14, 02:17 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Only $27.49 for two keys. You give them your key code (on the cover of owner's manual) or take a picture and send to them. 1010keys (2585) 99.4% Positive feedback on ebay. I ordered from them about two years ago.

I just lost the screw out of one key today. For only $27.49 I'm ordering 2 new keys and buying some blue permatex thread locker! Forgetabout the stealer dealer...
Old 06-06-14, 03:29 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

These Lexus Silicon rubber FOB covers fit over the existing key and offer good protection. eBay is where I bought mine.
Attached Thumbnails key chain cover broken-lexus-silicon-cover.jpg  
Old 06-07-14, 06:52 PM
JProdun
Driver

Superglue worked like charm
Old 06-07-14, 09:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JProdun
Superglue worked like charm