RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

P0354 - How To Replace Ignition Coil. '07 Rx350

Old 01-22-12, 01:20 PM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0354 - How To Replace Ignition Coil. '07 Rx350

Hi folks,
i'm a new member and a newbie. my 07 RX350 "gifted" me a a code P0354 after VSC and Chk Eng lights came on. It said : Ignition coil D primary/Secondary circuit....
closest Dealer is 130 miles away from where i live and asked about $300 to repair. from my online research i found that the part is only $45 at Amazon... (Beck Arnley 178-8311 Direct Ignition Coil). I opened up the hood and the plastic cover. there are three circular kind of things with off-white translucent stuff on top (why OEM parts dont have it ) ...[IMG] png image hosting[/IMG]
My question is :
1. is the middle one coil D.
2. is that the right part i found on amanon LINK HERE
3. what is the other small circular connector or part right under the middle one of those big off-white gas cap kind of things (not sure if those are the front Bank / 3 cylinders and external part of the coil)
4. Can i change is by my self (is it hard/ risky)
PLEASE HELP by shading some light , i am lost and confused.
thanks in advance and your answers are much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Gfsrx350 (09-16-20)
Old 01-22-12, 08:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lexrony
is there any reason why some of the posts remain un-replyed even though more than 40 people looked at it.... is there any specific way to ask help to get helped... just curious.
thank you
I see it was only about 6.5 hours between your posts. There is not a help desk staff here working 24/7 to answer questions. Depending on the nature of your question or problem it may take days before the right person comes along to post. Sometimes, if this is a new or unique problem, no one may come along to answer. You just need to give it time. Bump as needed.

Many of us pop in and pop out infrequently. Perhaps we were all busy today watching football. This is the weekend and many of us have lives outside of the forums. Perhaps no one who visited and read your message had information to provide to you that was of any use.

Did you spend much time searching the forum(s) here? Am going to guess no since there are several threads on the topic of ignition coils and error code troubleshooting found within a few moments of easy searching. Enough to piece together some useful information. The search tool is your friend.

The ignition coils can be referred to in either numeric (1,2,3...6) or alphabetic (a,b,c...f) terms. Your "D" error, as referenced by the P0354 error code is the number 4 cylinder. That would make it center front. This is confirmed by the following thread which was found very quickly:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ode-p0352.html

Here is a thread which lists most all error codes and was found by searching for P0354:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-on-help.html

Beck Arnley makes good products, however, Denso is more than likely the OEM. Could not hurt to give it a try. Be sure to purchase from a company on Amazon with a reliable return policy in case you have any problems.
Old 01-22-12, 08:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Also, keep in mind that you can use a local Toyota dealership if you want to still use a dealership for your service needs but the Lexus dealership is too far away. The 3.5L engine in your RX is used by other Toyota products with little modification.

DIY does have its advantages and satisfaction as well.
Old 01-23-12, 06:04 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Another tip is to swap that coil with the one next to it and see if code changes to reflect that. That will help troubleshoot the bad part immediatly. Sometime the code changes fromP 0301 toP 0302 etc.... YOu are lucky it is the front coil, the rear ones are not so friendly to get to.
Old 01-23-12, 08:16 AM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

Default sorry guys, i didn't meant to be cranky!

sorry guys, i didn't mean to be cranky!
your responses are much appreciated. as i've started saying i am a novice and know nothing. and this warning signs made me nuts. thanks again..
Old 01-23-12, 01:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Again I would swap with the coil next to it and see if the code changes...if not than you might have a circuit problem. Hopefully it will change to a p0355 etc.....I would do this before ordering the new coil so as not to waste money....
Old 01-24-12, 04:38 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Undo the 10/12mm bolt that is beside the silicon looking stuff and unplug the wire and pull the coil off. The whole thing is the coil and the bolt is what holds it down on top of the spark plug. The aftermarket ones may not have the silicon and may have the electronics in as sealed box. It matters not as they both do the same thing. You can change them out easily.

Do what others have said and change with another one and see if the error code moves. If it does then it is the coil. Word to the wise is that once one goes, the others tend not to be far behind. You can normally get a deal on all 6. Change them all out and save the good ones for emergency or testing in the future.

I believe the thing you asked what it was is an oxygen sensor but I could and am likely wrong.
Old 01-24-12, 08:19 PM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Undo the 10/12mm bolt that is beside the silicon looking stuff and unplug the wire and pull the coil off. The whole thing is the coil and the bolt is what holds it down on top of the spark plug. The aftermarket ones may not have the silicon and may have the electronics in as sealed box. It matters not as they both do the same thing. You can change them out easily.

Do what others have said and change with another one and see if the error code moves. If it does then it is the coil. Word to the wise is that once one goes, the others tend not to be far behind. You can normally get a deal on all 6. Change them all out and save the good ones for emergency or testing in the future.

I believe the thing you asked what it was is an oxygen sensor but I could and am likely wrong.
thank you .. i'll follow those wise guys direction.... thanks to all of the good fellas browsing here
Old 01-24-12, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

thank you .. i'll follow those wise guys direction.... thanks to all of the good fellas browsing here
Be sure to come back and report your experience on the fix.
Old 01-24-12, 11:12 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

"D" threw me off. 4 would have made sense to me. Thomas has repeatedly given the best advice .. swap 4 and 6 and see the problem move.

Pull the plug and you can place the coil pack attached to the plug on the block and look for the spark.

Salim
Old 02-04-12, 11:51 AM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for discussing on this issue. I am sure this will help a few others like me with same type of problem.
I have changed the Coil D and replaced it with the immediate next one. Found the check engine light is still on. so Scanned for coed it remained the same. I think that means the Coil is fine and Circuit is BAD. Am I right?!
Does any of you have changed the Circuit... How much did it cost? Is by any means possible to replace or fix with minimum to no knowledge and establishment.
Responses are much appreciated.
thanks
Old 02-04-12, 01:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thank you all for discussing on this issue. I am sure this will help a few others like me with same type of problem.
I have changed the Coil D and replaced it with the immediate next one. Found the check engine light is still on. so Scanned for coed it remained the same. I think that means the Coil is fine and Circuit is BAD. Am I right?!
Does any of you have changed the Circuit... How much did it cost? Is by any means possible to replace or fix with minimum to no knowledge and establishment.
Responses are much appreciated.
thanks
Did you clear the code first before retrying? Has to be asked, sorry.
Old 02-04-12, 09:24 PM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

1. found code : P0354 (coil D) > cleared the code ---- came back within 4/5 miles.
2. switched the coil to next right from middle > Chk Eng light on > Code found : P0354 (coil D)
3. Code erased > came back after 6/7 miles of driving ....> giving same code : P0354 (coil D)

is it the circuit ? how expensive it is ...
Old 02-04-12, 10:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Still have not yet ruled out a bad plug. You might want to have a look at that as well and swap with the one next to it if it seems fine. Check gaps, etc. if only by comparing with one from another cylinder.
Old 02-05-12, 01:27 PM
lexrony
Driver School Candidate

Much appreciated.... I'll check those plugs .. will update shortly ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0354 - How To Replace Ignition Coil. '07 Rx350