RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Newest 2004 RX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 05:36 PM
1999RX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats air suspension help do?
Old 10-23-02, 07:09 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Who cares its just cool to have Naw I really don't know. Sweet we get Lexus Link, my mom asked about that yesterday. I told her it's like on star...right???
Old 10-23-02, 07:18 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well air suspension will provide a smoother ride plut it'll have load leveling capabilities like most other SUVs nowadays have. My Explorer has air suspension and its a 97. On mine when you select a 4wd option it raises the suspension up to three inches for additional ground clearance. Helps out in snow. Plus it gives the vehicle a lower ride hight on the interstate which makes it more aerodynamic.

See? New RX sounds cool now doesn't it?

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-23-02 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-23-02, 10:51 PM
1999RX300
Driver School Candidate

O Like in those Land Rovers, Sort of Like Public Buses that lower when at stop right so people can get on?? Your Stock Explorer has this option?? I didnt know it came on lower end SUV'S?? Or Is it a mod you did? Also you can lower the SUV and raise it whenever you want LOL!.. I was wondering how it works.. Does it have pumps that take air in and have it built up inside or is it a Tank that you have to get refilled with more air everytime it runs out?
Old 10-23-02, 11:32 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Originally posted by CK1_RX3

Eddie - I know that you're probably not much on aftermarket parts since you work for Lexus, but have you ever seen an RX come in with a nitrous kit?
Aside from the pics online, I don't think I've ever seen a modded RX300, with the exception of rims/body grilles..
Eddie
Old 10-23-02, 11:49 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Originally posted by 1999RX300
O Like in those Land Rovers, Sort of Like Public Buses that lower when at stop right so people can get on?? Your Stock Explorer has this option?? I didnt know it came on lower end SUV'S?? Or Is it a mod you did? Also you can lower the SUV and raise it whenever you want LOL!.. I was wondering how it works.. Does it have pumps that take air in and have it built up inside or is it a Tank that you have to get refilled with more air everytime it runs out?
Well my Explorer cost more than your RX did lol. Its a Limited. It was $39k and change MSRP, with every option avaliable. The air suspension comes standard on the 4wd Limited and its optional on the 4wd Eddie Bauer trim. Its the same system thats on Lincolns in that it has air bladders that fill air struts to respond to load levelling needs. If there is more weight on one side, it responds by adding air to the appropriate corner. Its relatively unsophisticated when compared to other systems, in fact from outside the truck you can hear it run to respond to weight. The LX470 has an air suspension I think, I know it has always been an option on the LS400, and is included in the LS430 Ultra Luxury package.

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-23-02 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 07:09 AM
ken eaise

Is air suspension only for 4wd models? I have no experience with it.

I had the first RX 4wd model in June of 98 and just traded for a 2003 RX which was a 2wd model. The dealer said they hardly sell any 4wd models. Only problem I'm having is poor traction with the front wheel drive. It tends to spin and hydroplane in wet weather. I've had some spinning even on dry road and I'm NOT slamming the accelerator. I don't need a 4wd but will likely go back to one especially if the air suspension is the only model it's available on.

Another possible cause of the traction problem may be those $59. (Tire Rack) Goodyear Tires they have as OEM. I read some user ratings online about those tires and they have the tendency to hydroplane. Ride is very smooth otherwise.
Ken
Old 10-24-02, 11:16 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

That air suspension will be a great improvment for the RX. The RX already has such a great car like ride and air suspension will only make that liek 10 times better. My dads 95 crown victoria has air suspension and the ride is sooo mushy its amazing. It will really be a great advantage for people who tow a lot. I think I need to try and get my mom to trade in her 00 RX to the new one.

The LS always had an option for air suspension but I believe the LX uses a hydraulic system to raise and lower itself.

Actually the LX does use air suspention and hydraulics to lower and raise itself. Does anyone know if the new RX will have this kind of funtion. In a 4x4 mode the RX raises for extra ground clear and in 4X2 mode it stays at the regular height. That would really be a nice feature.

Last edited by jimmit; 10-24-02 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 07:32 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ken eaise
Another possible cause of the traction problem may be those $59. (Tire Rack) Goodyear Tires they have as OEM. I read some user ratings online about those tires and they have the tendency to hydroplane. Ride is very smooth otherwise.
Ken
Just yesterday I skided out. My mom has done this too when it was raining. Of course I was on a hill and I might have gased it too hard (new driver, but im good ).
Old 10-25-02, 03:45 AM
RX300wannabeIS300
Driver School Candidate

Default the new engine...

Toyota is introducing a new V6 this year. It will be loaded into everything, from Camry to Highlander, Tacoma and 4Runner, and presumably ES300 and RX300. Time for the ol' 3.0 liter to go... Been a great engine though!
Old 10-25-02, 03:56 AM
SiLVeRSp0rT
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1999RX300
Whats air suspension help do?
like the range rover? it has air suspension. my friend has one and when he parks, the car lowers itself. kinda like hydrolics but not hydrolics? you kno what i meaN? i 4got which cars, but some cars lower themselves on the freeway.. and when they get on to business and residential streets it goes bcak to normal? somethin like that. im gonna hafta check up on that. but in any case. air suspension is just plain cool haha. but im plannin to bag my car n get hydrolics. big pimpinnnnnnnn
Old 10-25-02, 10:11 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

my ma's '02 LX470 has air shocks. Very cool feature - allows you to lower/raise the car as has been said, but normal crusing speed always rides at a medium height... Lower the car to make getting in/out of it easier, raise it for SLOW driving in deep snow/offroad - drive to fast and the LX will automatically lower itself again.
Another GREAT feature in the LX is that it has adjustable supsension/ride control - a 4 position (I think) selector that ranges from Luxury ride to "sport" ride - of course my parents keep it on Luxury ride as they're gettin too old to appreciate a "sport" ride... well, my for my Ma anyways... My pops and I were out cruisin around on a weekend a couple weeks back and he flipped it all the way over to sport, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The big LX handled very well on sport mode.

Hey Eddie - will the new RX feature that? THAT would be a far more worthwhile feature than air shocks - maybe that feature is even a by-product of the air shocks? I dunno.
Old 10-25-02, 11:28 AM
ken eaise

CK1
The new RX is to have air suspension. and available sport package and optional 18 inch wheels.
Old 10-25-02, 11:56 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ken eaise
CK1
The new RX is to have air suspension. and available sport package and optional 18 inch wheels.
I know that, but I'm wondering if this ride control feature is included in all of that? Does that fall under the "sport" package?
Old 10-25-02, 02:46 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Lexus' corporate air ride system incorporates the changeable ride settings. Its availiable now on the LS, ES and LX. I drove an ES and didn't really see a difference, same on the LS (have not driven an LX). It rides too soft in comfort mode (like a Lincoln) and too hard in Sport, and it felt like the normal car in the medium setting, so why bother?

Quick Reply: The Newest 2004 RX Thread