RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Newest 2004 RX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 02:36 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1999RX300
Yup Should be called RZ330
Good one
Old 10-20-02, 01:38 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off, I know everyone has a propensity for believing they're experienced marketing and product engineers when these people roll out a model, but in all honesty, relax guys has Lexus done anything bad yet?

The LS430 rolls out, everyone says "Oh my God, its hideous, its a Mercedes knockoff Lexus is gonna fail Lexus is gonna fail!" Now it continues to push forward getting GREAT press for Lexus and breaking sales and quality records left and right.

Then the SC430 rolls out, again "OMG, OMG its hideous Lexus is gonna fail Lexus is gonna fail", the SC430 becomes another feather in Lexuses cap, and everyone loves it.

The 2002 ES300 comes out, "OMG OMG its hideous Lexus is gonna fail Lexus is gonna fail, its so slow", not only does the car get great reviews, and is unquestionably at the head of its class, but it becomes the class LEADER in sales, when its the most expensive!, thats really saying something.

Come on guys, be realistic here. Lexus hasn't come out with anything horrible yet, everything that has rolled out has been different yes, but change is a GOOD thing. Lexus is growing up and finding an identity for itself. Its a tough business out there.

You know the new RX will be fine, it'll look good, might take some getting used to, and you might have to see it in person to reserve final judgement (a'la LS430, SC430 and ES300) but it'll be fine. Will it be a hybridized Minivanlike vehicle? Yeah probably because thats the demographic its designed to go to. Thats the whole point of rolling the GX470 out and making it competitive in price. If you want an "SUV", the GX is your vehicle. If you're toting a family and you're looking at Minivans, then the RX is your vehicle. Thats the whole idea here. The RX doesnt have to be all things to all people now in the same way the ES doesn't need to be. And yes, like the new ES, most of you guys are probably going to hate it because its different from what you're used to. Hate to break it to you but Lexus really doesnt care, because the new ES is the top seller in its class, and the new RX will be too. This is the future for Lexus, different models for different buyers. It makes them unique from their competition. This is a GOOD thing.

As for the comment about "Third seat, buy a Minivan", "More space buy a minivan"? Come on! You gotta realize that the RX as well as any model from ANY car manufacturer is designed to fit a niche. The RX300 is designed to GET PEOPLE OUT OF MINIVANS and into Lexus showrooms. Its designed to appeal to just the same person that would buy a Minivan! Why wouldn't Lexus want to follow suit to say the Acura MDX (which Acura can't keep on the lots BTW).

Come on guys, be real here. The folks at Toyota know how to make cars. Give them some credit...
Old 10-21-02, 10:51 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

SW03ES,
You're absolutely right. You've presented this at angles that I didn't consider before... I guess I'm just a fan of the RX the way it is now - very unique, really with no truly comparable vehicle on the market (some are close, but there really isn't anything quite like it). I guess in that regard I'm just glad to own the RX that I do... I've never really planned on getting another RX anyways - at the point that I can afford to have two vehicles, I'll have a beater pickup truck for winter (like an old Tacoma would be perfect), and either a GS430 or IS300 or something along those lines...
You're right about Lexus knowing more about marketing than I do... It's just that I didn't have any adverse feelings towards any of the the vehicles you mentioned - the ES, LS, or SC430... I thoroughly like all of those and could really see the niche that they fit into for Lexus.

All that said, now that you've explained it from a different angle than I was looking at it, I'm starting to see the niche that the new vehicles in the Lexus line-up will fill.

Great explanation - thanks.
Old 10-21-02, 11:05 AM
Lvangundy

That pic xs posted screams BMW X5..
Old 10-21-02, 12:49 PM
Handogen
Driver

CK1_RX3, you were accurate on your first post. You preach on!!

hehe

As in my humble opinion, I think the BMW X5 is not only the ugliest BMW I've ever seen, it's the ugliest SUV I've ever seen... I mean dayamn....

I continue to stand on the notion that I can drive to any parking lot, and there isn't another car I would rather have. I love my baby and I don't want her to change. Maybe that's some of the objection you're feeling, CK1_RX3. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't really want to see my favorite mass production vehicle being turned into a 7/8 seater luxury minivan... I'm not worried about Lexus being successful because they always will be. I'm just worried they'll be phasing out a design which I think is ideal for my purposes... the beloved RX300. sporty, strong, quick, and absolutely gorgeous!
Old 10-21-02, 01:02 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Hando,

You're exactly right - that is what I'm feeling. I love my RX and for very good reason... Don't mess with what has already been the most successful luxury SUV on the market - what change a GREAT thing? That said, the 1st gen RX will be a great and TIMELESS ride for probably the next decade or longer - it was a totally original design at it's introduction and still is today - nobody does it better. I love my 1st gen RX and plan to drive it into the ground - that's why I bought it instead of leasing it... And hey, with any luck, maybe the 2nd gen RX will make the 1st gen all the more coveted - there sure are enough 1st gen GS3 (Aristo) fanatics out there!

I really don't think the mock-ups of the new RX look like an X5... I still think it's far more BuiRende than anything, which I view as the ugliest SUV on the planet. I don't think the mockups of the new RX are nearly as cool as the current X5. The X5 has a certain toughness and uniqueness that makes it somewhat cool... at least it's not an RX copy, plus it's supposed to be a really good performer. And while I don't share your hate for the X5 Hando, I don't like it as much as the Gen 1 RX (obviously)...

Oh yeah, and for some of you who've been wondering about the performance of the RX vs. the X5, I had a little run in with an X5 finally this morning on my way to the office - I'll post that in a separate thread though - it's a good un!

Long live the GEN 1 RX!
Old 10-21-02, 01:13 PM
Handogen
Driver

Nice Post CK1_RX3,

I wouldn't say I hate the X5.. But I will say I'd rather spend $50k on something that doesn't look so poorly formed. One good thing going for the X5 is that to me, it doesn't look like any other SUV...

So I'd put it a step in front of the Outlander or Kia Sorrento. How can these companies blatantly rip off major stylling points of the RX300?

You guys seen the commercial for the new Kia Sorrento SUV? The guy says he hogtied his accountant to price it under $20k. I think he's also guilty of hogtying the Lexus engineers and stealing their design!! blech!
Old 10-21-02, 02:20 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Yeah man, that Kia is the biggest joke I've ever seen... but hey, it's a pretty common practice for individuals or companies to rip off a popular seller when they aren't original to come up with one of their own. I can't wait to pull up next to one of those POS RX ripoffs - they're gonna eat my dust for sure!
Old 10-21-02, 03:24 PM
Justin_T.W.
Rookie

Follow this link and you get some info about the new RX330. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...vdu.2@.ef0e0c9!make=Lexus&model=RX%20300&ed_makeindex=.ef0e0c9
Old 10-21-02, 07:22 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also remember guys, we haven't seen any pictures from Lexus yet, reserve final judgement until we do
Old 10-21-02, 08:36 PM
ken eaise

CK1, I share your feeling about the original RX. It's was love at first sight for me. I bought the first model when it came out in the spring of 1998 and just bought the 2003 model last week. I'm going to trade it in when the RX330 comes out. I have no doubt that the new vehicle will be high quality but I hope they don't venture too far away from the current size and driving feel of the vehicle. If it ends being large enough to have a 3rd seat option, I'll be disappointed but it's unlikely I'll leave the Lexus nest.

I've read that Lexus felt they needed to add a bit more size to compete more effectively with the Acura MDX. The MDX is selling great but I understand the RX still holds a 2 to 1 sales ratio even with the "old" 1998 design. The MDX is a great vehicle but doesn't hold a candle to the RX in handling and road feel.

I was going to buy the new 2003 Acura MDX, which boasts 260 HP, subject to a test drive. The dealer had only one at the time and needed to keep it on the showroom floor. The next day, I got the test drive. Compared to the RX, it felt like a truck. Had I not been spoiled by the RX, I would have bought it. There is nothing out there now like the RX. I hope we retain our position in being both superior to, and unlike, any of the competition.
Ken
Old 10-22-02, 12:56 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, i got some new info for ya... (not on the RX330).

to tell you guys the truth. you gotta think about it. the RX300 was the first SUV of its kind to hit the markets. before the RX300, all that was out there were the big, square, "muscular" looking SUV's such as the toyota land cruiser, expedition, LX470, etc. the RX300 was the first of its kind in to the entire automotive market. then later followed the Acura MDX, and the BMW X5. without the debut of the RX300, i'm not even sure the MDX or the X5 would even exist right now. both of those model's (in my opinion) were practically based off the RX. they may be newer, and perhaps stronger in engine power... but nothing can match the grace and luxury the RX300 provides, including engine power that can match if not surpass an X5. just thought i'd throw this out there.
Old 10-22-02, 01:14 AM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Isn't it the RX350?????? That what Truckin' said, they had spy photos too.
Old 10-22-02, 01:43 AM
1999RX300
Driver School Candidate

Im pretty sure its going to be called RX330
Old 10-22-02, 05:01 PM
marke1
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure it's RX330 too. I did a trademark search earlier and Toyota has applied for the RX330 trademark, but not RX350.

Quick Reply: The Newest 2004 RX Thread