RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 08:22 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light

First of all, I realize this is a very common question/post that has been written up several times on this forum and on the Toyota Forums. I'm sorry for repeating it but I felt it was necessary to clear up some misinformation.

I have a Lexus 2008 RX350 3.5L car. After connecting a ORD2 scanner, in particular an Innova 3160 scanner, I encountered the dreaded vsc off and traction warning light. This has happened to others with different scanners. One guy with a Harbor Freight model also had this problem. Are these ORD2 units compatible with this car? Several posts gave somewhat confusing information on how to fix it. I have attached the actual instructions from a Toyota technical source which contains instructions which worked for me.

Here are the instructions from the technical resource dated 2007.

Rich

How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light-zeropointcalibration.jpg
Old 01-04-12, 08:26 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

Here is the Toyota tool sst 09843-18040 mentioned in the article.

How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light-toyotatool.jpg
Old 01-04-12, 08:40 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture to the tool I made so that I could rapidly short and unshort the ts and cg terminals of the DLC3 four times or more within eight seconds to clear the zero point calibration.

I used a momentary two pin push button switch from Radio Shack.

How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light-mytool.jpg
Old 01-04-12, 09:13 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

A few additional points,

1) Many of the posts regarding the clearing and resetting of the zero point calibration showed a few different jumper configurations on the DLC3 connector when compared to the one shown above. They did not work for my car. Only the jumper configuration shown above worked for my car. Be sure to make sure you put the jumper wire into the correct pin locations. Double check this.

2) I did not need to put a weight on the passengers seat or press on the brakes.

3) I did disconnect the battery prior to this procedure. I read in one Toyota source that this was required. I'm not sure if this is in fact true, but I did it anyway. Be sure to reinitialize your windows, moon roof, and back hatch after disconnecting the battery.

4) For some reason, the vsc off light only came on after I drove the car a few feet after turning on the car. It did not turn on after starting the ignition and leaving the car stationary. Again, I would have to drive a few feet or more for the dreaded light to turn on. It would not turn off while driving.

5) Lexus wanted $40 for the diagnostic read and $100 to reset the zero point calibration. No thanks. I did it myself.

6) One Lexus service "adviser" told me that the resetting of the zero point calibration was only needed for errors related to the airbags. This is not true. This error light comes on after various car modifications and repairs as explained in the article above. You would think this "adviser" would be better informed.

7) I did not want to take the chance of Lexus finding "some fabricated problem" and charging my big money for a problem that does not exist.

Well, I hoped this helped. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
Rich
Old 01-05-12, 02:04 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic thread.. i'm having this problem right as we speak.

Let you know how i get on.
Old 01-05-12, 04:29 AM
rsanchez28
Driver School Candidate

Typo:
The scanner is an OBD 2 or OBD II scanner.
Rich
Old 01-05-12, 04:36 AM
cww180
Driver School Candidate

Suzuki put a little switch under the dash and every 50K or so you have to reset it, kinda crazy!
Old 01-07-12, 05:12 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

are you saying all you did was hook up an obd2 reader and read the codes and everything went haywire? You did not tell it to reset any banks, etc?
Old 01-07-12, 11:12 PM
rxs0
Driver School Candidate

After hooking up the scanner for the first time, I encountered a P0300 Random Misfire Detected only under the Readiness DTC selection of the Lexus Enhanced DTC menu. No error coded were reported under the current DTC or historical DTC. This Readiness DTC section records errors that will show whether the various emissions-related systems on the vehicle are operating properly and are ready for inspection and maintenance testing. I have since replaced my spark plugs which were original at 150K miles. I have no current errors for the current or historical DTCs. No car warning lights were on. I attributed the error to a stored error in the computer related to the old spark plugs and random misfires. Again, I have not seen any other new errors related to the P0300 error.

I then encountered the vsc off warning light and traction control light shortly after connecting the device. I reconnected the device and read a U0001 error code related to High Speed CAN Communications Bus. I'm not sure if this may have been related to not completely connecting the connecter to the DLC3 terminal. I removed the connector and reconnected the connecter and the U0001 error message went away. I then attempted to erase the enhanced DTC error code. The scanner stated that this was successful. I confirmed no more random misfires by specifically reviewing the live data Mis-fire data, and Mis-fire data for Cyl 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. No more misfires were recorded after the spark plugs were changed. This device has the option of recording live date while the vehicle is driven.

Although there is no user selectable menu option for Lexus ABS codes on the scanner's menu system, I was able to read two Lexus ABS DTC's. The Lexus ABS scanner menu automatically "popped up" on its own as a selection even though it does not appear as a user selectable menu option. I assume this means that the device supports Lexus ABS codes. One was C1336 and the other was C3900. The C1336 means "zero point calibration of yaw rate sensor undone." The yaw rate sensor feeds into the VSC, so if it isn't working, the VSC won't work and you'll get the "VSC / TRC" light. I am not sure what the C3900 code means. I could not identify this code on the internet or in any manual. Anyone have any idea what the C3900 code means? I tried to erase these codes unsuccessfully.

I then disconnected the device and reset the vsc off warming light by the procedure mentioned above. I was able to successfully erase the vsc off warning light. I currently have no error or warning lights on my dashboard. I have not tried reconnecting the scanner to see if I could repeat the results. As mentioned in the post earlier, another member of the forum encountered the same problem with his scanner bought at Harbor Freight. He scanner is a Cen-Tech OBDII/EOBD Scanner. He mentioned that he would have to reset this light anytime he used his scanner. Not a deal breaker but kind of a nuisance. I will try to reproduce this turning on of the vsc off warning light by reconnecting the scanner without attempting to erase any codes. I originally got the vsc off light by simply connecting the device without attempting to erase any codes.

Anyways, as a whole, I really like the Innova 3160 scanner. It is one of the few scanner that can read Lexus ABS codes. It is also able to automatically identify the make and model of car. It is very simple to use. I believe that the Autoxray Techscan 7000 can also read these Toyota ABS codes with the purchase of an additional Toyota SD card kit. I have no experience with this device. I have also seen the Toyota Allscanner ITS3 diagnostic scanner on eBay and on the internet. I may buy this device in the coming weeks. I can't seem to find any reviews of this device. Anyone have any first hand experience? Does anyone else know of any other devices besided Toyota's techstream that supports reading Toyota ABS enhanced codes?

I hope this answered your question.

Take care,
Rich
Old 06-07-12, 05:48 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to start a new thread but happen to come across this one which has great info and thanks for posting it. I have a 2004 gx 470 and i have the vsc lights on. They came on after i had a key made. From what i read they are stating the scan tool is what caused it. Not a problem but i still want the lights off. The question i have is the DCL scan port the same with the information you posted above? If i jump those wires on my gx and follow the instructions will that be okay or is this just for the RX model? Do i need to jump different once for my gx?
Old 07-26-13, 06:55 AM
deangpsx8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vinniety
I plan to start a new thread but happen to come across this one which has great info and thanks for posting it. I have a 2004 gx 470 and i have the vsc lights on. They came on after i had a key made. From what i read they are stating the scan tool is what caused it. Not a problem but i still want the lights off. The question i have is the DCL scan port the same with the information you posted above? If i jump those wires on my gx and follow the instructions will that be okay or is this just for the RX model? Do i need to jump different once for my gx?
Hi Guys,
common problem. It occurs when the scan tool is first connected to the car. There are approx. 10 different OBDII protocols and the scan tool queries each protocol to attempt to achieve communications with the OBDII port.

If the wrong protocol is scanned at the "right time" , it will force a Traction Control or Stability Control Error. Normally unplug the scan tool, turn off the engine wait and start the engine again and the code will clear.

When connecting an OBDII scanner, do not set it in auto scan mode. Use the correct mode for the vehicle. Then once connection is established you should be able to clear the trouble code.
Old 08-04-13, 12:43 PM
mnewton
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC lights both on how to reset

Both these lights came on after I tightened the fuel cap too much ( maybe)
Or the VSC button is not working properly.
However to turn them off just find the fuse box in the engine compartment
(passenger side) and remove the 15 Amp ECTS fuse and while you are about it
the 25 Amp EFI fuse. Leave them out for about 5 minutes then replace both.
This should ( did on mine) turn off the lights, plus the engine gets re-calibrated
with the current gas being used so if you are using Sunoco 94 octane it will
tune it up nicely.
Old 10-19-13, 06:05 PM
SC430White
Driver School Candidate

Default How to reset VSC warning and Engine check lights

I've tried three times which is connecting the jumper of the OBD-II (underneath the driver's dashboard with pin 3 and pin 5), it didn't work at all.

All you need to do is remove the BLACK or NEGATIVE connector of the battery for about 30 minutes and then restart the engine (after inserting the NEG connector). You can save lots of money from Lexus/Toyota dealer.

Good Luck!
Old 11-03-13, 01:48 PM
oxigin
Driver School Candidate

Default Vsc lights

I tried everything battery disconnect ,tc e1 in bonnet,ts e1 under dashboard ,even checked my abs sensors to no avail,new battery and alternator .and still I get abs vsc vscoff and handbrake light intermittently while driving
Old 11-03-13, 05:53 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Just for the record I did this procedure and it worked fine.

Quick Reply: How to reset vsc off warning light and traction control light