RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX400H 12v battery funny business

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 08:31 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX400H 12v battery funny business

We had a 2004 RX330 for several years. Excellent car and trouble-free, until it was rear-ended last November by a woman driving HUA. She spun around and hit our car again with the result that once repair cost was at $15,000, the insurance company totaled it out.

After a thorough search for low miles 2008 RX400H's as a replacement, I found one at Lexus of Annapolis (Certified, <3 years in service, 18,500 miles) and bought it. I had the car shipped to MI, but it sat in the dealer's basement for about 2 weeks before our carrier picked it up.The day of the pickup was mild (40+ F) in MD and it started fine for loading on the carrier.

It got to our house late at night and it was pretty cold. High 20's. The car would not start on the carrier. By that I mean, you could not get a "Ready" display. The driver used a jumper battery, and it started fine. Once in my garage, I tried to re-start the car to move it, but it would not start until I gave it another jump. I put it on a charger and in about 2h it was in maintenance mode. Took it off the charger. It did draw 12-15 amps at first, for a while.

Next morning it started fine first time, but then when I wanted to start it again later a half hour later, it again would not start and gave me a check VSC message (check vehicle stability control). I called my salesman to ask what to do and while I had him on the line I hooked the jump starter up (from a charger) and it immediately started. (By started I mean it read "Ready" on dash display followed by engine startup about 10-15 sec later. Salesman said this is normal.)

Charged the battery again (went into maintenance mode after about an hour). Drove the car to an Auto Zone and had them do a load test on the battery. Tester device said to charge the battery and then test again. AZ guy said there was something wrong with the battery, this was not a normal result.

T has been running in low 30's to low 20's. The car has started normally the last couple of days, but I a very suspicious. A healthy battery should not do this. The battery is less than 3 years old and original. This is my wife's car and I do not want her getting stuck in cold/snowy weather. I think the dealer owes me a new battery, but the symptoms are very strange to me.
I intend to have it tested again before I press the issue, but I do not trust the thing, at this point.

Any comments or suggestions.

By the way, this thing rides and performs better than our 2004 did. So far I have seen 30 mpg city (20 miles) and 27 mpg mixed city/highway (40 miles). Not bad. Our RX330 could do 18 mpg city and 23 mpg highway/city.

Love the "new" car.

- nopcbs
Old 01-02-12, 10:05 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery, test again and then go after the dealer.
Old 01-03-12, 05:46 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hybrid

I don't own a hybrid. But what little I have read. This seems to be a common problem with the Hybrids.

Do a search on this web page for " Traction Battery "

Also you may want to post this in the hybrid section.

Last edited by MC5Wes; 01-03-12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 05:55 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone guy was right. Replace the 12 volt battery. We had the same problem when we bought a cpo 2008 rx400h a couple years ago.

If the dealer won't replace it based on your description, next time it won't start call Lexus road service -- it's included in your cpo coverage.
Old 01-03-12, 06:05 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If you dont want to deal with problem, go to Costco, Sams, Walmart and get a replacement battery...The OE batteries were prone to fail early.....
Old 01-03-12, 09:15 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since this is an issue with the 12v battery, we'll keep this thread here. With colder weather many of us may experience battery trouble, and advice here will apply to all. The Hybrid forums were designed to address issues affecting only hybrid RX's, although sometimes the distinction with A/C, transmission, and power steering issues isn't immediately apparent.

Good approach, getting the battery tested under load at AZ. I understand that service is free, where it may cost you a few bucks at other service shops. It pays to shop around a little. As batteries become more expensive, it's wise to test first before replacing them.

As to WHAT battery to choose, that's up to you. Some people believe the double-cool, extra zoomey premium batteries are actually made of unobtanium and filled with unicorn blood. Me, I prefer a mid-range, readily-available battery with a 42-month or better warranty. It may not have magical properties, but it's practical, reliable, and if necessary, I can replace it every two or three years without a bank loan.
Old 01-03-12, 12:11 PM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Since this is an issue with the 12v battery, we'll keep this thread here.
Please keep in mind that the RX400H uses a much smaller battery than the 330/350. Since the RX400h battery does not drive the starter, the Cold Cranking Amps (cca) matters far less than with a non-hybrid. Reserve capacity, on the other hand, probably matters more on the hybrid. (and like CCA, is less on the little battery Toyota stuck in the hybrid).

Also, please note that there seems to be a more widespread pattern of 12v battery failures on the RX hybrids at 2-3 years than there is on the regular RX.
Old 01-05-12, 08:03 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default The puzzle continues

It has now been 5 days since the car performed its last Dead Battery act. The weather has been in the low 20's to mid-30's and the car was not driven for 1.5 days once in that period (daily otherwise). The Dead Battery thing has not recurred.

Yesterday I did repeated starts w/o driving the car and it started each time without incident. Put a charger on it and it went to maintenance mode after just a few minutes (i.e. it was charged up).

I think that I will go do one more load test at Advance Auto and if it reads "iffy", I'll but a new battery from them ($71 for a 3 year replacement 500 CCA battery). If it tests OK...I dunno'...I'd still puzzled by its behaviour, but it has been working OK. On the other hand, if it will not start for my wife one cold morning as she rushes to get to work...I'll be in deep doo doo.

Very, very strange.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by Kendig
Please keep in mind that the RX400H uses a much smaller battery than the 330/350. Since the RX400h battery does not drive the starter, the Cold Cranking Amps (cca) matters far less than with a non-hybrid. Reserve capacity, on the other hand, probably matters more on the hybrid. (and like CCA, is less on the little battery Toyota stuck in the hybrid).

Also, please note that there seems to be a more widespread pattern of 12v battery failures on the RX hybrids at 2-3 years than there is on the regular RX.
Old 01-06-12, 09:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounded like one or more of the cells in the battery is "acting up" that's why it's working on and off

I would call the dealer and see if they are willing to get you a new battery

If you dont want to deal with that....Costco would be your least expensive alternative.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-06-12, 09:59 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Not a member

Alas, a Costco is so far away that I am not a member. I don't think they will sell you a battery if you are not a member.

Might check Sam's, though.

I wonder if batteries are covered by the 4 year new-car warranty?

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by kickin8
Sounded like one or more of the cells in the battery is "acting up" that's why it's working on and off

I would call the dealer and see if they are willing to get you a new battery

If you dont want to deal with that....Costco would be your least expensive alternative.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-06-12, 10:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

search is your friend....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warranty.html
Old 01-06-12, 12:14 PM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Originally Posted by nopcbs
Alas, a Costco is so far away that I am not a member. I don't think they will sell you a battery if you are not a member.

Might check Sam's, though.

I wonder if batteries are covered by the 4 year new-car warranty?

- nopcbs
The battery in my 2008 RX400h was replaced under the factory warranty. It went into service in January 2008, so I really lucked out with the timing.

Jeff
Old 01-06-12, 07:50 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
I don't own a hybrid. But what little I have read. This seems to be a common problem with the Hybrids.

Do a search on this web page for " Traction Battery "

Also you may want to post this in the hybrid section.
Traction battery is the main battery for powering the electric motors etc. His problem is with the 12 volt battery.
Old 01-08-12, 09:10 AM
RobF15E
Driver School Candidate

Although I like the "double-cool, extra zoomey premium batteries that are actually made of unobtanium and filled with unicorn blood", there is a significant advantage to the old school batteries - you can test each cell to see if one is failing with a battery hydrometer. A bad cell will cause the other cells to bleed down. The battery will seem to charge fine, it will provide reasonable amps for a test, but it will not hold the charge for a long time. Cold weather will speed up the discharge process. I will mention I just bought a new Hydrometer for my garage and it is calibrated improperly. According to it, every battery I own is in a state of discharge. LOL I think the float bulb is weighted improperly. I'll be taking that one back.
Old 01-28-12, 04:46 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Charge battery and test again

Originally Posted by RobF15E
Although I like the "double-cool, extra zoomey premium batteries that are actually made of unobtanium and filled with unicorn blood", there is a significant advantage to the old school batteries - you can test each cell to see if one is failing with a battery hydrometer. A bad cell will cause the other cells to bleed down. The battery will seem to charge fine, it will provide reasonable amps for a test, but it will not hold the charge for a long time. Cold weather will speed up the discharge process. I will mention I just bought a new Hydrometer for my garage and it is calibrated improperly. According to it, every battery I own is in a state of discharge. LOL I think the float bulb is weighted improperly. I'll be taking that one back.
When I had AutoWo5rks test my battery the result was "charge battery and test again". This just after it had charged. This week I tested it myself with a Solar battery tester I have. Result was 12.01V , 270 CCA, and "charge battery and test again".

I suspect a bad cell. That voltage reading is too low by about 0.5V.

Quick Reply: RX400H 12v battery funny business