RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Major Water Leak - Desperately Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 07:39 PM
ramesh52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HokieCJ7:

Have you been able to find the culprit? I have the exact same issue, but cannot identify how the water got in. The sunroof drains OK when I pour water down, and the ac drain is fine too. Very frustrating, don't want to have to go through all this trouble of pulling out the carpet again another time.
Old 06-24-15, 10:38 AM
longhorn19
Driver School Candidate

Smile

with reference to water leaks and water on the floor of your Rx 350 , please check the drains from your sun roof and if you see water stains on the ceiling then it is because the drains have come loose and the water is entering from them. the ceiling upholstery will need to be removed and the drains connected ( use a tie rap to secure the hose to the drain) and do this to all 4 drains. Make sure the drains are clear . If you do not see stains on the ceiling upholstery then remove or have the seats removed and take the carpet and let it dry. I replaced the seats and drove my vehicle for a week and was informed buy the dealers Auto repair shop to reseal the 2 joints on wall under the back hatch. This was done buy a auto repair shop and used a bonding material used in the repair of vehicles. After a heavy rain I checked before I moved the vehicle (dry) and again after I drove it 5 miles in the rain and there was no water on any part of the floor and this remains the same after a week of driving it with No Mats. There are 4 joints at 11 & 1 a clock and 2 on the top above the hinges, I suggest that all 4 be sealed as I did Before you replace your carpet and after it is dry dealers suggest you spray the back of it with Lysol (Disinfectant Spray) this will help kill viruses & bacteria. Good luck to all.
Old 08-29-15, 01:32 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...roof-leak.html

Last edited by TriniLex; 09-01-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 07:21 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
Also a couple of pictures I found. Im not sure if they are all from a second generation RX. But it still gives you an idea what to look for.
Those photos are not from Gen 2 RX.
Old 11-01-15, 12:08 PM
gso3006
Driver School Candidate

Default Me too!

Last month my 2000 RX300 p/s carpet was wet. Read all of these threads (twice!) We thought we found a leak in the a/c hose, but turned out that wasn't the issue. Had a dry weather spell, but now it is wet and rainy again and we are going to have to deal with this. See evidence of water underneath the glove box but everything in box is dry. Since I have just put new brakes on this 15 year old car, I am going to have to bite the bullet and take it to the Stealership--term stolen from another LF member.
Old 11-01-15, 01:13 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have already tried the week wacker line to clear out you drain tube then

Your drain tube has fallen out behind the kick panel.
Old 11-22-16, 06:49 PM
guyrat7
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Similar Issue (photos)

Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue but it might be that the drain pipes are damaged? there was some rain the day before. I had the mouldy smell and couldn't understand where it might be coming from until i noticed this.

Do you see how its leaking out of the tweeter grille? that looks bad.
It would be great if any of you have photos to remove the A pillar so I can check the drain pipe. Or do you think this is something different such as the drain pipe is disconnected altogether?
Old 11-23-16, 12:00 AM
guyrat7
Rookie

Originally Posted by guyrat7
Hi Guys,

I have a similar issue but it might be that the drain pipes are damaged? there was some rain the day before. I had the mouldy smell and couldn't understand where it might be coming from until i noticed this.

Do you see how its leaking out of the tweeter grille? that looks bad.
It would be great if any of you have photos to remove the A pillar so I can check the drain pipe. Or do you think this is something different such as the drain pipe is disconnected altogether?
Think i solved it. checked the drain pan for the sunroof. I saw that the left drain pipe inlet blocked. it looks like a coin sized collection of pollen had blocked the inlet on the passenger side. took the things out and the drain pipe was clean without any debris. going to leave it like that and see if it leaks. I am sure the tube is not blocked because this is the very first time this happened (there have been some severe rainfall last month and month before but not this much of a leak. ) fingers crossed!
Old 11-23-16, 04:23 AM
gso3006
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, Mine is more than just a leak, my sunroof motor is shot according to the 'stealership'. My car is a 2000 model, so the 1700$ plus estimate doesn't work for me on a 16 year old car. We had to make room in our garage, so everything is under control. BTW, for the odor issue that was just horrible, I resolved that with ALOT of baking soda, drying out and Fabreeze, so life isn't that bad.
Old 11-30-16, 06:43 AM
RX300Calif
Driver School Candidate

Default Moonroof drain holes

Hello all I have water leaking down on the floorboard front driver side in our 99 RX300.
never have had this problem before so likely drain holes clogged, only happens after heavy rain
before I drop the headliner a task I would rather avoid....considering these couple challenges

1.) Is it possible to check the moonroof drain holes without dropping the headliner? push the headliner down a couple inches
at least to check for blockage?
2.) Can I check the drainage cavity hole under the wheel well by getting under the car with a wire to push up and check for blockage?
Old 12-03-16, 07:43 AM
lexrx330
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently got a 2004 RX 330 and this morning I noticed that water was leaking through the driver's side so I decided to google, come to find I'm not the the first person with this problem. I'm a female in my 20s and very clueless about car repairs. Reading through majority of the posts it sounds like alot of the people on here are pretty handy and fixed the problem themselves. I'm thinking I'll have to take it to a car shop; however, I don't want to be over charged so if anyone has done car repairs will you please advise on what you think the cost will be? Also, if anyone knows of a great car repair shop in the Houston area please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-05-16, 04:36 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lexrx330
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently got a 2004 RX 330 and this morning I noticed that water was leaking through the driver's side so I decided to google, come to find I'm not the the first person with this problem. I'm a female in my 20s and very clueless about car repairs. Reading through majority of the posts it sounds like alot of the people on here are pretty handy and fixed the problem themselves. I'm thinking I'll have to take it to a car shop; however, I don't want to be over charged so if anyone has done car repairs will you please advise on what you think the cost will be? Also, if anyone knows of a great car repair shop in the Houston area please let me know. Thanks!
From what I've read, the most common problem is the design of the drain system. The front tubes don't exit the body, like pretty much every other vehicle with a sunroof. The tubes go into a "box" formed in the chassis, right in front of each front door. There is a drain in that "box" that commonly gets clogged. I found some info on here regarding how to locate and unclog it. What usually happens is when that clogged box fills up, it overflows, and saturates the carpet. There is no direct access to this drain from underneath, sadly.

If yours is soaking the headliner or either A-pillar trim, it's most likely clogged drains at the sunroof. You can test by opening the sunroof, and slowly pour water near each front corner where the drains are located. If the water doesn't go down, the drain is clogged. You can usually unplug them by blowing air through them, or try to rig up something on a wet/dry vac to suck them out (recommended - remember the box clog issues - don't want more junk going into that box).

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-16, 03:31 PM
Fdsa
Driver School Candidate

Default waterlogged RX 330

Been there done that. Bought used 2004 RX in Jan 2013. Two hard rains later all floorboards were squishy wet. There were two small gaps on the car-part (I don't know car lingo) where the hatch lifts. Local Collision shop sealed the gaps and removed everything from the cabin that could be removed and dried it all out. Collision shop charged about half what Lexus quoted me. Lexus probably would have taken better care of the car, but it wasn't worth it at the time.

I'm now shopping for a replacement. Mine was totaled 6 days ago. Head on, about 40 mph, t-boned someone who pulled out in front of me. Airbags deployed. No scratches. Eyeglasses fine. Scrambled brain though. I showed my doc a pic of the car. He said he would not have believed I had been in that crash, looking at the car. If that car took care of me that well, I'll stick with RX. Been driving Toyota products since 1987 and I've No scratches, 1 bruise, 1 bump. I I walked away, with assistance. Eyeglasses fine. Podcast still playing on phone. She ran for about a minute then expired. She protected me well.
never been left stranded on the side of the road.
The following users liked this post:
howat (06-23-22)
Old 12-15-16, 10:27 PM
sn1047
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guyrat7
Think i solved it. checked the drain pan for the sunroof. I saw that the left drain pipe inlet blocked. it looks like a coin sized collection of pollen had blocked the inlet on the passenger side. took the things out and the drain pipe was clean without any debris. going to leave it like that and see if it leaks. I am sure the tube is not blocked because this is the very first time this happened (there have been some severe rainfall last month and month before but not this much of a leak. ) fingers crossed!
Hey guyrat7, was the drain pipe your problem? My car looks exactly the same as yours, so I'm hoping that's all it was.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-19, 08:40 AM
rickiteasy
Driver School Candidate

Finally found where the water was coming from. Had some body work done last year from an accident. When they put the rear bumper back on, there are two screws - one on the left and one on the right near the tail lights. The water comes in through these two holes. This explains why no water stain inside the car from the roof or side area. I generously sealed around these hole with clear auto/marine sealant (100% RTV Silicone).

Last edited by rickiteasy; 03-23-19 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Major Water Leak - Desperately Need Some Help