RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My mechanic doesn't want me to buy an RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 05:48 PM
ThaiBruin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great thing I learned when researching CPO warranties is that Lexus has THE BEST warranty included. It covers almost everything (except normal wear and tear items) and they require no deductible during the course of the 3 years or 100K mile warranty.

Now, why would Lexus cover everything for a solid 3 years whereas everyone else tops out at 12 months for bumper to bumper? And I should add that bumper to bumper in Mercedes/BMW/Audi do NOT include nav/stereo/bluetooth.
Old 11-24-11, 06:57 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bopper, RX (like any other Lexus) is very inexpensive to maintain. I had English and German cars previously, and Lexus has the cheapest maintenance from all of them.
Old 11-24-11, 11:54 PM
KINGJOSH
Driver School Candidate

If you have a mechanic telling you a vehicle is to advanced maybe he should retire. An RX is a much better choice than any other foreign luxury competitor. I am a Lexus technician.These vehicles are easier to work on than any German cars and interiors are much nicer than a nissan/infiniti. The only other car i would look at in the same category as a RX is a ford edge or the lincoln counterpart. That is based on fords quality and technology in the last few years.
Old 11-25-11, 02:35 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's more a value thing though. Most people do not buy a Benz or BMW they lease. At least in SoCal. The BMW is a great car. The x5 I test drove before I got the RX was a beast. Built really sturdy and I wanted it MORE than the RX. But it's after the warranty goes out that you need to worry. In fact that's when they really just go bad lol! But there are some lucky folk that seem to have good experiences after the warranty as well. Just never want to take such an expensive risk. The Lexus was for me

If your leasing I say go ahead and get the BMW lol! But if your buying and want a great value with the right luxury and more comfort than the RX is amazing. Some really don't care about value. True story LOL!

Last edited by infinirx; 11-25-11 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-25-11, 05:03 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaiBruin
A great thing I learned when researching CPO warranties is that Lexus has THE BEST warranty included. It covers almost everything (except normal wear and tear items) and they require no deductible during the course of the 3 years or 100K mile warranty.

Now, why would Lexus cover everything for a solid 3 years whereas everyone else tops out at 12 months for bumper to bumper? And I should add that bumper to bumper in Mercedes/BMW/Audi do NOT include nav/stereo/bluetooth.
Trust me, as a CPO owner, Lexus doesn't "cover almost everything". Read CL posts from current/past CPO owners.
Old 11-25-11, 09:21 PM
Bopper
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

KingJosh -- interesting that you believe the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX is the only other car you'd like at. I like the looks of the Edge, but haven't been inclined to trust Ford reliability. I keep hearing they're so much better, but I'd rather wait a few years until those Ford buyers are talking about how they're getting to 150K with no trauma. But hearing it from a Lexus technician gives it a little more credibility. Still gonna buy an RX, but it's interesting!
Old 11-26-11, 12:36 PM
ThaiBruin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Trust me, as a CPO owner, Lexus doesn't "cover almost everything". Read CL posts from current/past CPO owners.
True, it isn't really a "bumper to bumper" but they certainly cover quite a bit more than any of the german makes for a longer period of time. While I have no experience with using the CPO warranty on the RX yet (just got it a month ago), I certainly hope to have just as easy of a time with any necessary work done as I have with my Acura CPO warranty, which is 2nd best in the research I've done.
Old 12-08-11, 10:57 AM
SlateRXMN
Rookie

I have a 2007 RX 350, now 73,000 miles and no major issues. I love the car and would buy again.
Old 12-10-11, 02:53 PM
ddanhour
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 RX 350 with 28,500 on it in great shape for $28,000. Don't need an SUV anymore. email ddanhour@comcast.net For additional info. I've had zero problems with this Lexus.
Old 12-10-11, 09:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bopper
KingJosh -- interesting that you believe the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX is the only other car you'd like at. I like the looks of the Edge, but haven't been inclined to trust Ford reliability. I keep hearing they're so much better, but I'd rather wait a few years until those Ford buyers are talking about how they're getting to 150K with no trauma. But hearing it from a Lexus technician gives it a little more credibility. Still gonna buy an RX, but it's interesting!
Just stay away from the MyFord Touch System for now. While recently updated, they are still working out the interface issues. And, it is the only way to adjust the climate controls and such in vehicles equipped with it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...ouch/index.htm
Old 12-10-11, 10:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Back to the original question...

It is not like your mechanic would have needed to go out and buy and special tools to work on the RX. However, he may not have access to the online manuals and such the independent shops have to pay for that the dealers have by default. If he had to spend more to obtain those, hard to say what they get in their package deals, it may not have been worth his while for the few vehicles he might actually service.
Old 12-11-11, 06:35 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Our 06 RX400h has 60k miles on it. It has had one issue since 2005. The steering rack was replaced because of a recall. Other than that it has never been back to the dealer. Just tires and oil changes which I do myself. There is a new recall on the inverter which will get done if Lexus ever gets the parts in.
Old 12-12-11, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you should consider a CPO....100K miles warranty.
Old 01-04-12, 10:58 AM
WoJoRX350
Driver School Candidate

Default Stay away from Rx350

I have a 2009 RX350 with 57,000 miles. It has the very annoying clacking sound especially when cold; but I can now hear it after fully warm. After 3 trips back to the dealer, have been told that it is piston slap and is normal! It certainly does not sound like what I expect from a luxury car. Also, the steering rack started leaking at 52000 ; just out of waranty; but Lexus paid for the part but not the installation labor. I have a 2000 Lexus GS400 and previously owned a 2000 RX300. Those are and were fine cars.
Old 01-07-12, 07:29 PM
sanas56
Driver School Candidate

Wink

I bought a CPO RX350 with low milage last year. I love it, wished I would have bought it sooner. I heard that you can take your Lexus to a Toyota shop for routine maintenance and will be a lot cheaper than Lexus dealer. I have not tried yet. For any warranty issues, I take it to Lexus dealer.

Quick Reply: My mechanic doesn't want me to buy an RX