RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Buying a used RX350 - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 09:49 AM
arrush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used RX350 - Advice Needed

Hello all,

So here is my question, I would like to buy a used RX350 for my wife but am a little worried about the mileage of the vehicles we are looking at. Wanting to stay around the 22-24k mark we are looking at 07-08 models with an average of 60-70k miles. I would like to know from anyone owning a similar vehicle when if at all the bigger repairs started to be needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-11, 10:11 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to CL.....

what is your budget? if you dont want to deal with the headaches, consider getting a CPO RX
Old 11-17-11, 11:14 AM
arrush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
Welcome to CL.....

what is your budget? if you dont want to deal with the headaches, consider getting a CPO RX
I'd like to say in the 22-24k range but that is usually to low for a CPO. Even for that money I would need to import a car from the US. I would be looking at 29+ for a CPO in Canada.
Old 11-17-11, 12:49 PM
skitx
Driver School Candidate

2008 RX350 60,000 miles no problem ,those vehicles are good to 150,000 with good care , oil etc.
Old 11-17-11, 12:59 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150k miles sounds about right. But to my knowledge the repairs through Toyota dealership is very affordable. Cost 1/2 of what you'd probably pay at Lexus. If I were you, I'd down all 22k and finance the 5k additional to get a CPO. Peace of mind
Old 11-17-11, 02:43 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by arrush
I'd like to say in the 22-24k range but that is usually to low for a CPO. Even for that money I would need to import a car from the US. I would be looking at 29+ for a CPO in Canada.
if you plan to get a CPO it's probably worth to "import" one.....
Old 11-17-11, 05:33 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This person here is considering selling his

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-selling.html
Old 11-17-11, 06:25 PM
Number6
Driver School Candidate

Another thing to keep in mind is that all RX350 sold in Canada are AWD, while those sold in America are either FWD or AWD (though basically they are all FWD and only use the AWD when the front wheels are slipping).

Also, I believe there are other differences between the Canadian and the American ones. You might want to drop by a Canadian Lexus dealer and ask them what might be missing on an American model. I know there are other things, but I do not remember exactly.

Given the sludge problem with Toyota's V-6 engine, I would request the service records to see what kind of oil and how often was the oil changes done, among other things.

And last, a vehicle with an American instrument panel (mph, gallon, F) might have a slightly lower resale value when you will want to sell it in Canada.
Old 11-17-11, 06:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Number6
Given the sludge problem with Toyota's V-6 engine, I would request the service records to see what kind of oil and how often was the oil changes done, among other things.
While the 3.0L was reported to have such sludge problems there have been little to no reports with such issues on the subsequent 3.3L and 3.5L engines.

Your point is valid to check the service records for any purchase to make sure the vehicle was maintained properly.
Old 11-17-11, 09:19 PM
Number6
Driver School Candidate

There are still reports of sludge. Here are two excepts from a quick search:

" I will try to make a long story as short as possible. Our 2008 RX 350 was determined to need a new engine due to sludge buildup. After about 60 days of back and forth with the dealer and corporate office they agreed to replace the engine and only charge for labor ($5000). Seemed like our only option so we agreed."

"Is anyone else having engine sludge (gel) problems with the 330 engine? I found a cream-puff used 05 RX with less than 16k on the dial. It had 9 months of the original 4 year warrantee to go. With in a short time of a oil change it started to use oil and cold started in a cloud of blue smoke. The bottom line was ruined valve seals which were not covered because there were no service records to prove the car had been maintained.

The sludge work was to replace the valve seals and clean out the engine for $6,000. I was lucky in that the bottom end of the engine had not been oil starved."
Old 11-17-11, 10:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not saying there are no problems, Number6. With the 3.0L engine even those who had taken proper care of their vehicles and went overboard with service and frequent oil changes with quality oils were still having problems with sludge. Was being seen time-after-time and pointed to a design flaw. Not seeing such reports with the newer engines. Same being said of the transmissions in the RX300 failing as compared to the RX330 and RX350. Not problem free, however, much better. The RX330 and RX350 have their own gremlins not seen in the RX300. For example, AWD models seem to have a higher rate of wheel bearing failures that are disproportionate.

Cannot speak as to the nature of the problems with the examples you provided above. These could have been one time or limited occurrences. Too many cases of individuals leasing a vehicle for three years and never changing the oils or filters. And of course, we only hear about the bad things here in the forums.

I have a good relationship with an independent shop here in FL with two long term Toyota mechanics who feed me with data on what they are seeing. While in PA I try to stop in and visit a friend's shop and pick the brains of his folks there and their experiences. These are people I trust and have not been let down by their info yet.
Old 11-18-11, 07:20 AM
Number6
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Toyota has made tremendous progress in eliminating the sludge problem in its V-6 engines. Nevertheless, I feel that there is still a vulnerability and one needs to be extremely careful when purchasing a used Lexus with a V-6. In fact, I am so concerned that I intend to remove the engine valve cover to have a look. This will be a bigger job than what I'm used to do, nevertheless I feel it is needed. Too bad there isn't a manual for the RX350. I have the Haynes for the 300/330 and with what I will find on the net, I should do fine. I'll post pics when I'm done.

One thing that plays in my favor is that I switched the car to synthetic as soon as I owned it AND I only use it on highways. It is night and day to use a car only on highways compared to using it in the city. I have always divided my cars between highways and city. In my opinion, cars used only on highways suffer 5 to 15 times less wear than cars used in the city. Everything is more clean, more new, in particular the exhaust system.
Old 11-20-11, 09:31 AM
soparkar
Driver School Candidate

Regarding some common maintainance, you may see afs light blinking issue in Lexus. This is very common issue .in all Lexus. And it happens usually after 4-5 years from the first sell date, depending upon the usage. When you get this issue, fixing it may cost you about 1000 dollars max, depending upon the issue. It is not the engine issue, but rather head light issue. So be prepared. Regarding engine, it is a great engine. Can last easily 200k miles.
Old 11-20-11, 06:20 PM
arrush
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys, I have the dealer in Calgary looking around for something.
Old 11-24-11, 08:06 AM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my rx has over 130 miles on it, and still runs perfectly. Just make sure you do regular scheduled maintenance and you will be just fine!

Quick Reply: Buying a used RX350 - Advice Needed