RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Head Unit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 09:46 PM
BTBrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit question

Hi everybody, I'm new here on the forums and just had a quick question. I'm planning on starting to upgrade my sound system on a 2004 RX 330 with Lexus Premium Audio and no nav. I was going to start out by upgrading to a new head unit so that I can get Ipod control and bluetooth so I don't have to use an FM adapter to listen to my Ipod. I want to make sure to get a somewhat decent head unit so that I can possibly do more upgrades (new speakers, subwoofer etc.) later on.

The head unit I was looking at is the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...H-P7200HD.aspx

I don't know much about car audio, so if this is not a good enough head unit feel free to let me know. Now after that, the only other thing i need is the dash kit, correct? I won't need an amp/crossovers yet, I can simply install this and be good to go, right? Also, there are two different dash kits that I'm not totally clear about the difference on. I'm assuming I need the more expensive one, correct? They're both on this page:
http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6536

I'm just not sure if I need the SLA-82A or the SLA-82AFB.

Thank you guys a ton for any help you can offer, I really appreciate it!!!
Old 11-13-11, 10:01 PM
Emilaman
Driver

Welcome to Lexus Family=)

1. Why dont you want double din stereo unit?
2.You need to find out which audio system do you have. JBL mark levinson or just regular without factory amp.

Because, with factory amp you need SLA82A if not you can just buy simple harness and plug and play.
Old 11-13-11, 10:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

IMO, the Pioneer indicated is not a real upgrade over the stock stereo in the RX.

Why not install a VAIS upgrade to give you the iPod and/or bluetooth connectivity you desire?

http://www.vaistech.com/dev/home.php

If you use the search tool for the forum you will find a number of existing threads on the topic of stereos and upgrades. There is also a forum here specifically for audio, video and security upgrades:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lectronics-12/

Here is a URL for a recent thread on installation of the VAIS SLI which is very popular:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html
Old 11-13-11, 10:29 PM
BTBrian
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the quick replies! I do not have the Mark Levinson just the regular OEM system, so thats great news that all I need is the SLA82FB. I suppose that double din would make more sense huh? Like I said I know next to nothing about car audio, that was just a result of me not putting enough thought into double vs. single.

RX330inFL: I've looked into the VAIS SLI before and the main reason I decided on just buying a new stereo is because I plan on continuing to upgrade the stereo down the road and I thought that I will probably want to upgrade the head unit anyways in the future. My price range is anything up to around $600 total, so I will continue looking at higher quality units. Any recommendations you guys have you should let me know.

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 11-13-11, 10:59 PM
Emilaman
Driver

also in fact, most US spec. Lexus vehicles are equipped with factory amplifier, whether it's Mark Levinson system or premium sound system.

1.RX amplifier is sandwiched between back passenger seat and cargo area. Check it first.

Second way to check it, is to remove OEM head unit radio. If it shows 20pin connector, that is clear sign of you having the factory amplifier
Old 11-13-11, 11:07 PM
Emilaman
Driver

You cant just plug and play your head unit if you have factory amp. You need to connect your head unit to special harness and then to car wires. SLA82A is expensive harness, i prefer Metra TYTO-01.

If you don't have factory amp, you are lucky, you can just connect it directly.

But if you planning to buy aftermarket subs or replace speakers or to buy aftermarket amp, you can just install them in one time without buying TYTO or SLA
Old 11-13-11, 11:09 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear BTBrian, as Emilarman had explained, almost all US Spec Lexus RX models are equipped with a factory amplifier. Please let me know if you have any questions about our products.

Thanks!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 11-16-11, 07:14 AM
x-tian-350
Rookie

Originally Posted by BTBrian
Thank you guys for the quick replies! I do not have the Mark Levinson just the regular OEM system, so thats great news that all I need is the SLA82FB. I suppose that double din would make more sense huh? Like I said I know next to nothing about car audio, that was just a result of me not putting enough thought into double vs. single.

RX330inFL: I've looked into the VAIS SLI before and the main reason I decided on just buying a new stereo is because I plan on continuing to upgrade the stereo down the road and I thought that I will probably want to upgrade the head unit anyways in the future. My price range is anything up to around $600 total, so I will continue looking at higher quality units. Any recommendations you guys have you should let me know.

Thanks for all of the help!
Hi Brian,

Just a heads up. Not sure if you are interested by I have a VaisTech SoundLinQ2 SL2i module for sale. Looking to get 80.00 dollars for it. It fully intergrates your ipod into your factory unit. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 11-16-11, 06:49 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BTBrian
Hi everybody, I'm new here on the forums and just had a quick question. I'm planning on starting to upgrade my sound system on a 2004 RX 330 with Lexus Premium Audio and no nav. I was going to start out by upgrading to a new head unit so that I can get Ipod control and bluetooth so I don't have to use an FM adapter to listen to my Ipod. I want to make sure to get a somewhat decent head unit so that I can possibly do more upgrades (new speakers, subwoofer etc.) later on.

The head unit I was looking at is the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...H-P7200HD.aspx
I have that same one sitting here collecting dust. I had bought it for my other car last year before I purchase the Lexus this summer. Great unit. Loved the HD. Only thing it didn't do was charge the iPad while playing it.