RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently

Old 10-25-11, 05:12 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently

My '05 RX330 has a problem with the heater. In MA, about 50-58oF and trying to put the heater at 80-HIGH either on auto or A/C. Sometimes it blows hot air and then switches to cold or gets really hot, or just runs cold for a bit. Checked coolant, it was low so filled it this evening. Didn't seem to make a difference. Had tuneup 15k miles ago so coolant has not been filled to my knowledge in a year.....

Seems 'intuitively' like some sensor is off, the one which measures the temperature in the car and filters mixture of hot and cold to achieve the selected manual temperature. But when I manually select to "HIGH" I thought this should always blow hot air no matter the temperature in the car.... ? [In the past in summer if I wanted a bit of heat in the car I would have to put it on HIGH to get some warm air, as obviously the sensor thought the car was 80+. E.g., HIGH setting always produced heat.]

Suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by quantfutur; 10-25-11 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-25-11, 06:34 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any cels? What about on the very cold setting does this happen?
Old 10-25-11, 06:44 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

P.S. the temperature (cool or hot) is exactly the same on both driver and passenger sides. So that if it is blowing cold when set on HIGH, both sides are blowing the cold air.
Old 10-25-11, 06:48 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problems

quantfutur
ac921ol
Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips for you and any other new members.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding. When your looking for help. Look in all of the Lexus models. They all use the same systems.

Also every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.

If your looking into how your car operates. The owners manual for your car is online at this Lexus web site.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

It also has a great search functions.

If after all this you have no luck. And want to start a new topic. State which type of car and equipment you have installed. For example the year. Is it a 330 or 350. FWD or AWD. Is it a Lexus that was sold in the states or overseas. Mark Levinson or Premium Stereo. Navigation. Rear Entertainment. Does the system work and your only getting a warning. Things like that.

On your Air Conditioning system. There has been numerous postings about heater and A/C air flow and temperature problems. A 1 minute search of this web page. Showed these postings.

Again. When your looking for help. Look in all of the Lexus models. They all use the same systems.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ch-advice.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cold-air.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 10-25-11, 06:54 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ac921ol
any cels? What about on the very cold setting does this happen?

Not sure what are 'cels'; sorry. On cold setting it runs cold. Problem is getting any heat. Heat is very inconsistent. Should be giving me heat (based on past performance) from 80+ manual setting but certainly when manual HIGH is set. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't... !
Old 10-25-11, 07:00 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
quantfutur
ac921ol
Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips for you and any other new members.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding. When your looking for help. Look in all of the Lexus models. They all use the same systems.

Also every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.

If your looking into how your car operates. The owners manual for your car is online at this Lexus web site.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

It also has a great search functions.

If after all this you have no luck. And want to start a new topic. State which type of car and equipment you have installed. For example the year. Is it a 330 or 350. FWD or AWD. Is it a Lexus that was sold in the states or overseas. Mark Levinson or Premium Stereo. Navigation. Rear Entertainment. Does the system work and your only getting a warning. Things like that.

On your Air Conditioning system. There has been numerous postings about heater and A/C air flow and temperature problems. A 1 minute search of this web page. Showed these postings.

Again. When your looking for help. Look in all of the Lexus models. They all use the same systems.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ch-advice.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-cold-air.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus.

Thanks very much. I will search all the links you provided.
Old 10-26-11, 02:11 PM
gusar
Driver

Originally Posted by quantfutur
My '05 RX330 has a problem with the heater. In MA, about 50-58oF and trying to put the heater at 80-HIGH either on auto or A/C. Sometimes it blows hot air and then switches to cold or gets really hot, or just runs cold for a bit. Checked coolant, it was low so filled it this evening. Didn't seem to make a difference. Had tuneup 15k miles ago so coolant has not been filled to my knowledge in a year.....

Seems 'intuitively' like some sensor is off, the one which measures the temperature in the car and filters mixture of hot and cold to achieve the selected manual temperature. But when I manually select to "HIGH" I thought this should always blow hot air no matter the temperature in the car.... ? [In the past in summer if I wanted a bit of heat in the car I would have to put it on HIGH to get some warm air, as obviously the sensor thought the car was 80+. E.g., HIGH setting always produced heat.]

Suggestions? Thanks.
Was it consistent with delivering cool air in summer (with AC off)?
My RX330 was not consistent and after a stop gave me warm air instead of cool (from outside). If AC was on, it always made it cold, but without AC - sometimes warm.
Old 10-26-11, 09:01 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gusar
Was it consistent with delivering cool air in summer (with AC off)?
My RX330 was not consistent and after a stop gave me warm air instead of cool (from outside). If AC was on, it always made it cold, but without AC - sometimes warm.

Yes, I believe it did deliver cool air in summer (manual had been set to 75 when it was running).. with the AC off. Gusar - what ended up being the problem for you, and how was it resolved? Thanks.
Old 10-27-11, 06:47 AM
gusar
Driver

Yes, I believe it did deliver cool air in summer (manual had been set to 75 when it was running).. with the AC off. Gusar - what ended up being the problem for you, and how was it resolved? Thanks.
Actually, my problem was not resolved. Just fall came
I think in my case something is not stable in the control block - vent door sometimes stop moving. Not often though. Now it works (heats).
Basically there are three areas for your problem to be potentially responsible:
1. Control block and temp. sensor
2. Servo motors/doors' mechanics/contacts
3. Clogged heater radiator(s).

I would bet on #1 or 2. If you can get access and see doors moving or stuck (when changing temp. setting), you may be closer to resolving the problem.

Last edited by gusar; 10-27-11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 03:25 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Gusar- thanks. I plan to take it to a local auto repair shop that deals with a/c issues rather than to the dealer, and will bring your list; make sense. Fan power is fine from what I can sense. Things improved a bit after I got the coolant back to level, but definitely a problem with the a/c.
Old 10-27-11, 03:27 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Btw, are there separate temperature sensor for driver and passenger? If so, then may be possible to rule that out as I have both sides set at same temperature and both pushing cold air at times.....
Old 10-28-11, 09:05 AM
gusar
Driver

Btw, are there separate temperature sensor for driver and passenger? If so, then may be possible to rule that out as I have both sides set at same temperature and both pushing cold air at times.....
Never heard about two sensors. Sensor is placed at the driver's side above the driver's knees - small window there.

Good luck. Probably will cost you...

Last edited by gusar; 10-28-11 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-28-11, 12:23 PM
MC5Wes

Default Servos

If your car is operating ok. Not overheating.

You probably have a problem with the air control servos. There are two of them. One for temp mixing and one for outside air.

If you look at the links I posted above. You will see pictures and a Do It Yourself thread.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4620.html

All of the Lexus models use the same servos. I tried to fix mine in my RX300. But the problem came back. So I eneded up just changing both.
Attached Thumbnails '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently-servo.jpg   '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently-servo2.jpg  
Old 10-28-11, 12:25 PM
MC5Wes

Default Servos

They are located under the dash in the center console. Over on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of one taken apart.
Attached Thumbnails '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently-servo3.jpg  
Old 10-28-11, 07:05 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
They are located under the dash in the center console. Over on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of one taken apart.
Thanks, MC5Wes.. Took the car to a mechanic today who looked at it briefly; he thinks it's either the thermostat, water pump (replaced 15k miles ago with timing belt), or a blocked heater core. Called another mechanic who was recommended and he said 9 times out of 10, flushing the heater core takes care of the problem. Big bucks if the heater core is leaking. I too thought it might be a servo; probably the cooling servo. What symptoms did you have that led you to the servo motors?

Will take it to the 2nd mechanic in a few days and get an assessment. From what I've read on this forum, repair/replacing the heater core is a huge job, so hoping it isn't that....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently