RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Kumho Solus KL21

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 07:10 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LxRxKen
i spoke with a tire shop and they said that since the car is suppose to run 99V loaded tires, We can only have 99+ and either W,V,Z tires.

is that true?
The load rating (99) is what's important here. The speed rating just doesn't matter on an RX. If the tire dealer insists on installing V-rated tires, ask if he thinks you'll ever drive 149 mph - not even possible in an RX. He's just trying to make extra money and protect himself in case you have a wreck because you drove around with the tires under-inflated. It's all about the liability, not giving you what you need. For example, 99V rated tires would be capable of carrying a total of 6800 lbs. at 149mph if inflated to the maximum rated pressure. That's just not a condition any RX is ever going to see. For RX's, even T-rated tires are fine. You should pay more attention to the traction and temperature rating. I prefer to have A ratings on both, and AA on traction if they're available. I would not put tires rated a B in either category on my family's car.

I test-drove an RX400H recently with the KL21 tires on it and loved them. They were very quiet and smooth. I just put our third set of Kumho's on our ES300. The first two sets were KH16's and the latest set is the Ecsta LX. Obviously I am very happy with Kumho tires. The worst set of tires I've had on the car (260,000 miles and counting) were Michelin. The tread separated on two of the tires before they were even close to wearing out the tread. I'll stick with Kumho.
Old 10-20-11, 08:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I was set on getting Alenza's but still on the fence. Solus is looking good.
Not digging the survey results from Tire Rack when it comes to how the deal with snow. I do have a tendency to travel north to PA, especially during hunting season. However, if you stay south of the snow line you might be OK.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...cleSearch=true
Old 10-28-11, 06:07 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys I've decided to go with Goodyear Comfortreads. Something about Kumho didn't appeal to me, such as very limited reviews, heavier weight per tire (28 vs 27lb).
Old 10-28-11, 08:54 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Not digging the survey results from Tire Rack when it comes to how the deal with snow. I do have a tendency to travel north to PA, especially during hunting season. However, if you stay south of the snow line you might be OK.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...cleSearch=true

the roads in PA and pretty well i go hunting all the time in NE PA ( and the rx will be parked on the side of the road or in the driveway if i choose to hunt behind the house) i would never think of taking it into the woods. even my Avalanche Z71 with the off road package had a hard time navigating through the woods. As for driving in snow they might not be the best tires for Snow but i have driven on worst.

the weather dipped into the 30s this week and they are saying we should get some flakes over the weekend... ill try to drive around and provide feed back
Old 10-28-11, 09:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by soda7o
the roads in PA and pretty well i go hunting all the time in NE PA ( and the rx will be parked on the side of the road or in the driveway if i choose to hunt behind the house) i would never think of taking it into the woods. even my Avalanche Z71 with the off road package had a hard time navigating through the woods. As for driving in snow they might not be the best tires for Snow but i have driven on worst.

the weather dipped into the 30s this week and they are saying we should get some flakes over the weekend... ill try to drive around and provide feed back

Their calling for 3' to 6" inches here. I still have the mower deck on the Cub Cadet!
Old 10-28-11, 11:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
Their calling for 3' to 6" inches here. I still have the mower deck on the Cub Cadet!
They have snow in the West and NE already. Must be November and time for hunting season.

For now, think I'll go to the beach.
Old 10-28-11, 11:31 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soda7o
I will probably pack up my gear and head to Berwick in a few weeks. Have a cabin up there. My RX only has FWD and am pleased with the Alenzas I have installed for what snow I have encountered over the years. No problems in six inches of packed snow. Once at the cabin I get out the 4-wheeler to get out into the woods. Light and nimble is the way to go.
Old 10-31-11, 10:10 AM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkeeney
The load rating (99) is what's important here. The speed rating just doesn't matter on an RX. If the tire dealer insists on installing V-rated tires, ask if he thinks you'll ever drive 149 mph - not even possible in an RX. He's just trying to make extra money and protect himself in case you have a wreck because you drove around with the tires under-inflated. It's all about the liability, not giving you what you need. For example, 99V rated tires would be capable of carrying a total of 6800 lbs. at 149mph if inflated to the maximum rated pressure. That's just not a condition any RX is ever going to see. For RX's, even T-rated tires are fine. You should pay more attention to the traction and temperature rating. I prefer to have A ratings on both, and AA on traction if they're available. I would not put tires rated a B in either category on my family's car.

I test-drove an RX400H recently with the KL21 tires on it and loved them. They were very quiet and smooth. I just put our third set of Kumho's on our ES300. The first two sets were KH16's and the latest set is the Ecsta LX. Obviously I am very happy with Kumho tires. The worst set of tires I've had on the car (260,000 miles and counting) were Michelin. The tread separated on two of the tires before they were even close to wearing out the tread. I'll stick with Kumho.
Ah thanks for the information. I live her in SoCal and most likely will never see snow unless she lets me take the car to big bear mtn. Also we know that the max speed that this car will eve see is probably 80mph. With that said, as far as load rating is concerned, we will probably have to get 99+ rating like a 104 simply bc we do use this car to go and grab a lot is sodas and beer at one time for our small business. That's one factor why we got an suv. So a lot of weight will be packed and loaded in the trunk so I want some tires that will hold up to this.

Has anyone ever checked out onlinetires.com ? They are a nice alternative to tire rack and etc. they are bAsed in Cerritos, Ca and u can pick them up. If u compare some tires , some of them are relatively cheaper than others and definitely cheaper than the stores
Old 11-02-11, 08:55 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I will probably pack up my gear and head to Berwick in a few weeks. Have a cabin up there. My RX only has FWD and am pleased with the Alenzas I have installed for what snow I have encountered over the years. No problems in six inches of packed snow. Once at the cabin I get out the 4-wheeler to get out into the woods. Light and nimble is the way to go.
well we got over a foot and lost power... i didn't wait that long i packed up the family, drained the water and and left PA to go to Brooklyn... on the way there i drove through some snow and the tires performed just fine (but i was driving cautiously) for what they were. on the way form PA to brooklyn the conditions changed form snow to slush to rain.. over all these tires had no problems handling the road conditions.
Old 11-27-11, 01:46 PM
rjerrells
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 RX and a 1999 GS. A couple of years ago, I put some Kumho's on the GS since so many people were raving about the performance of the tires and their relatively inexpensive costs. They were very sticky, smooth great handling tires. For awhile...

I ended up going back to the Michelin's. Why? Despite the good performance characteristics, I had to constantly get the tires balanced. Literally, I ended up getting the tires balanced on every oil change (about every 5,000 miles). The ride would start getting rough after a few thousand miles between balancing.

A friend with an LS also ran some Kumho's and ended up doing the same thing as I did. Frequent rebalancing. Same brand, different tire model.

I resolved to never buy Kumho's again.

Maybe Kumho has resolved those issues. Maybe not. Maybe your results will vary from mine.

But needless to say, I was not impressed at all (except in the very beginning of ownership).

That's just my .02
Old 11-28-11, 11:10 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote goes to Goodyear Assurance Comfortred... Good break and traction control on highway driving in dry or wet roads...quiet..comfortable..and, the mpg stays at 23-24 mpg with premium octane gas.

Last edited by Nick318; 11-28-11 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 06:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkeeney

Oh yes it does! Much more responsive on the "v" rated tires. Handles better too.
Old 11-29-11, 07:19 AM
toppower
Driver School Candidate

The higher the speed rating, the harder the ride/sidewall.

Load rating is very important but I would chose a lower speed rating for comfort.

The RX is no sporty SUV and tires won't make it handle like one.

I would stick with Michelins. 30,000 miles and no issues. My past Kuhmos always needed balancing and had sidewall bubbles.

PS. You get what you pay for in life.
Old 11-29-11, 08:28 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I may go with teh Alenza's, Costco has a rebate going for $100 off a set. How much are the Bridgestone Alenza's?
Old 11-29-11, 10:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toppower
The higher the speed rating, the harder the ride/sidewall.

Load rating is very important but I would chose a lower speed rating for comfort.

The RX is no sporty SUV and tires won't make it handle like one.

I would stick with Michelins. 30,000 miles and no issues. My past Kuhmos always needed balancing and had sidewall bubbles.

PS. You get what you pay for in life.

I hear you, I couldnt keep the Nexens the dealer put on balanced either.