RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Voltmeter install on a 2007 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 11:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

One of the best indicators the battery is about to go is that the auto open/close function of the moon roof stops working.
Old 09-28-11, 11:27 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Your right but what i am talking about is the voltage drop when the car is started. This will give you an indication of the battery condition under starting load. If the volts drop to say 7-8 volts during starting it is probably time to start addressing an up coming battery issue. As soon as you start turning over the engine the power to the power outlet is off until the key is back in the run position. When a battery is tested it must have a good sized amp load to check the true condition of the battery. This is what they do when you have your battery tested, they put a heavy load on it an watch the voltage drop. When the lead plates are almost depleted in the battery it won't sustain the heavy load and the volts will drop and your cranking amperage will soon become to low to start your car. This is when winter cold temps really take there toll on older batteries.
No big deal just wasn't sure what the OP was looking for with the volt meter install. like I said I have a radar detector with volts display and love it.
Jeff
Sorry for misunderstanding, I completely concur with what you stated above and I now understand were you were going before. Sorry bout that.

-Joe
Old 09-28-11, 11:29 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by kitlz
One of the best indicators the battery is about to go is that the auto open/close function of the moon roof stops working.
Interesting, I have never heard that before but I will keep that in the back of my mind should the auto function ever present issues.

-Joe
Old 09-28-11, 08:41 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace my battery and the indication was a long cranking time of the engine before it would fire, not slow just 15 to 20 seconds before it would start. All other functions worked as they should and the clock never reset to midnight like I have heard others say. I guess the mild climate here in Calif. doesn't hit the batteries so hard.
Jeff
Old 09-29-11, 06:10 PM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by kitlz
Originally Posted by jamodeo
Interesting, I have never heard that before but I will keep that in the back of my mind should the auto function ever present issues.

-Joe
IM NOT EVEN JOKING, AUTO FUNCTION NEEDED TO BE RESET TODAY!!!??? What a coincidence! I seriously hope my battery isn't going lol, but what impeccable/interesting timing since finding that fact out! (I use my moon roof all the time btw, so I just found it very odd that I just learned this tip and it happened lol)

-Joe