RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-13, 09:58 AM
LiserAnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEYYTRIGER
I got it replaced at sewell lexus $238.70 called lexus customer care same day and within 24 hours they had a customer care rep manager call me back and issue me a refund check from lexus not sewell. I was told at this time lexus has been replacing this item left and right and are very aware of the issue. I think this is why i was send a refund check for my part and install.
My 08 RX350 has the same issue...my question is, do you think you have a better chance of Lexus Corp issuing a refund if you get the repair done at a Lexus dealer vs. an independent repair house? I'm so sick of getting black sticky gunk on my fingers and on the back of the liftgate (which is white). It's such a mess!!

Last edited by LiserAnn; 10-04-13 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-29-13, 07:54 PM
stanww
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2009 RX350 and the the trunk lid switch cover melted, too. I was concerned if the switch was getting hot or shorting out (making it hot).. It is gooey and sticky.
I ordered a new one on Ebay for $69.00.
Old 10-29-13, 08:16 PM
CBAILEY629
Driver School Candidate

it happens everywere, i live in maryland and see RXs come in frequently with this issue, it is not an electrical issue. it is also not difficult to replace. the wire runs into the rear hatch. just remove the inner rear hatch panel and unplug the switch. if taken to a dealer they should not charge more than 1 hour of labor to perform this repair.
Old 12-31-13, 02:24 PM
punjabi324
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 RX350 hatch Latch Melt

I got the same issue in Kansas. Rubber cover got messed up and was very hard to open the hatch. I bought the part from my local Lexus dealer for about $90. If you need to do it yourself, my recommendation would be to use the following steps in sequence:

1) Open the hatch
2) Remove the plastic cover from inside bottom of the hatch(pull it out slowly)
3) Remove the light wire by pressing the lock lever.
4) Remove the plastic cover lower piece which matches color of you interior
5) Now you should be able to see the latch wire coming in and attached to left side if you are sitting inside the hatch back.
6) Unplug it
7) If you look inside the metal , you will see a bunch of wires going and 5 bolts holding the plate which holds the latch outside.
8) Remove 5 bolts which will unlock the plate outside above your license plate.
9) There is one plastic thing also holding it, so push it out.
10) Now you should have the outside plate, pull it out and unscrew the two screws holding the rubber hatch latch.
11) Remove it by pulling it out.
12) Install the new one, screw it before you put the decorative plate back in
13) plug it in and test it to make sure it works
14) Now put the bolts back on and put the plastic covers back on
Old 12-31-13, 08:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by punjabi324
I got the same issue in Kansas. Rubber cover got messed up and was very hard to open the hatch. I bought the part from my local Lexus dealer for about $90. If you need to do it yourself, my recommendation would be to use the following steps in sequence:

1) Open the hatch
2) Remove the plastic cover from inside bottom of the hatch(pull it out slowly)
3) Remove the light wire by pressing the lock lever.
4) Remove the plastic cover lower piece which matches color of you interior
5) Now you should be able to see the latch wire coming in and attached to left side if you are sitting inside the hatch back.
6) Unplug it
7) If you look inside the metal , you will see a bunch of wires going and 5 bolts holding the plate which holds the latch outside.
8) Remove 5 bolts which will unlock the plate outside above your license plate.
9) There is one plastic thing also holding it, so push it out.
10) Now you should have the outside plate, pull it out and unscrew the two screws holding the rubber hatch latch.
11) Remove it by pulling it out.
12) Install the new one, screw it before you put the decorative plate back in
13) plug it in and test it to make sure it works
14) Now put the bolts back on and put the plastic covers back on
Welcome to Club Lexus, punjabi324.

There is a writeup with pictures here on the process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...with-pics.html
The following users liked this post:
exaktoh (03-17-17)
Old 10-24-14, 10:08 AM
FoosBar
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Good posts! I purchased my 2008 RX350 used about a year ago and just thought this was odd, but didn't realize it was so common.

I appreciate all the info here.
Old 11-18-14, 12:06 PM
JonJanis
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear hatch

Hey I'm new here and looking for some info. This place is a wealth of knowledge for Lexus. Just bought a 2008 RX 350 and have this dreaded sticky issue. A member mentioned a CL discount at Sewell. Is that Club Lexus and how do you qualify for this discount?

Jon
Old 11-18-14, 04:14 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JonJanis
Hey I'm new here and looking for some info. This place is a wealth of knowledge for Lexus. Just bought a 2008 RX 350 and have this dreaded sticky issue. A member mentioned a CL discount at Sewell. Is that Club Lexus and how do you qualify for this discount?

Jon
At checkout you simply select Club Lexus affiliation and provide your CL ID.
Old 11-20-14, 03:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Can not beat the Sewell pricing for us members.
Old 03-31-16, 07:19 AM
ilittle
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 melted rear hatch switch

It does not matter where the car is located I live in Northeast CT.
My 2009 RX switch is melted plus Inop.and Lexus dealer still did not cover the repair while the vehicle was still under warranty
By the way I have a 2004 VW and the switch assembly of the VW is amazing when compared to the RX350 I have attached pictures, Lexus needs to research VW hatch switches!!

2009 RX 350

2004 VW
Old 05-09-16, 05:50 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wife took her RX in this morning to have tires mounted, tpms sensor checked, and alignment. I told her to have them fix that slimey rear latch. Service guy just called and said $57 for the part, about $100 to install. I said give me the part, I'll install it myself.

I just found this thread and the links to the DIY, I called him back and said for $100, install that thing.

I spent all day Saturday replacing the head in my Audi thanks to a seized up water pump. I'll pay the $100 to spend next Saturday sitting on my ****.
Old 05-09-16, 06:44 AM
dmanwi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased our 2007 RX in December 2015 I had the dealership replace it before I bought it off the used car lot. This is in Wisconsin. I'll have to check out 2014 Sienna because I think it has the same sort of handle.
Old 05-17-16, 08:39 PM
gobucks2
Driver School Candidate

Default Rubber Mess - Inexpensive fix

Our 2007 RX350 Lexus rubber latch cover on the cargo door finally gave out. It was an easy fix that took about an hour and cost $4 from Lowes. The only hassles are that the screws are a pain to get a hold of and turn.

I removed the old shredded rubber piece and screws. I then went to Lowes in the plumbing dept and bought a small square of rubber gasket material for $4 and cut it to fit the latch area. I used a paper punch to put a hole in at each end and screwed it back in.

It is not water tight, but not likely in a spot where water would get in and it does the job!
Attached Thumbnails Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener-img_3495.jpg   Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener-img_3496.jpg   Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener-img_3497.jpg   Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener-img_3498.jpg   Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener-img_3501.jpg  

Old 05-18-16, 07:47 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gobucks2
Our 2007 RX350 Lexus rubber latch cover on the cargo door finally gave out. It was an easy fix that took about an hour and cost $4 from Lowes. The only hassles are that the screws are a pain to get a hold of and turn.

I removed the old shredded rubber piece and screws. I then went to Lowes in the plumbing dept and bought a small square of rubber gasket material for $4 and cut it to fit the latch area. I used a paper punch to put a hole in at each end and screwed it back in.

It is not water tight, but not likely in a spot where water would get in and it does the job!
lol

This how gobucks car probably looks like.

Old 05-26-16, 11:09 AM
KWM1949
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing only the rubber boot on 2009 RX 350 liftgate

My liftgate switch still worked fine, so I just wanted to replace the melted boot.I removed the two screws holding it in. The switch comes right out. I had to use a small screwdriver to help it. There is about 6'' of slack on the switch. I cleaned all of the melted rubber up using a small screwdriver, a utility knife, and GOO GONE. It was quite messy. After cleaning, I removed the boot off of my new part, which I bought on E Bay for $47. I slipped it on the old switch, put it back in place using the 2 old round washers, and the old screws. It took about 45 minutes to complete.

Quick Reply: Melted Plastic in Rear Boot Opener