RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus rx330 awd radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 02:20 AM
ti86la
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus rx330 awd radiator replacement

Hi guys. I'm looking for a new radiator for my car. However, I can't tell that my car has towing package or not?.In auto zone. they have two radiator for the towing package and non towing package.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...66534_0_110714
and
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...66534_0_110716
or
http://www.amazon.com/TYC-2688-Alumi...4003991&sr=1-1..
what is your recommend.. the one in amazon is the cheapest one?.. but I never heard of this TYC brand?
Old 08-22-11, 12:51 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it leaking? or what?
Old 08-22-11, 04:04 PM
ti86la
Driver School Candidate

Yeah...the leaked is not that big...I tried the jb weld glue... but still leaking...so replace with a new one is the only option..
Old 08-22-11, 04:34 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a Lexus TSB on 04 - 05 RX330 for leaking radiator. Check out this thread, maybe your VIN is one that is covered.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ator-leak.html
Old 08-22-11, 10:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

When you take the old one out.....make sure you have some adhesive handy to reattach the foam buffers on the radiator that is stock to the new one or you will likely have rattles and air flow reduction.

If your radiator is completely aluminum (no plastic sides) you likely have the NON towing package.

Also, if you look underneath your rear bumper, you will usually find the electrical hook up for a trailer PRE INSTALLED on the tow package models. Tow package models are more rare, for what its worth.
Old 08-22-11, 10:04 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Also forgot to tell you you can take the radiator out without taking the condenser out or unattaching the A/C liines. You will have to take out the upper cross member and the front vertical cross brace with the horns and hood latch attached.

Go slow and remember where you take out all of your bolts etc. from. It is not a crazy hard job, just a lot of things to take apart and reattach.

Lastly - buy two large screw clamps for the radiator hoses. The spring style clamps can and will give you trouble when trying to feed them back on. They can lock open but once they have done that these deform for whatever reason and make it very difficult to get back on.
Old 08-23-11, 01:01 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this TSB have a mileage limit? Cause I would love to do it, just have over 100K.

PS: Never mind I think I read that link and got my answer. Pretty sure I have the tow package as well.
Old 08-23-11, 01:49 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Does this TSB have a mileage limit? Cause I would love to do it, just have over 100K.

PS: Never mind I think I read that link and got my answer. Pretty sure I have the tow package as well.
Is yours leaking? I believe they extended the warranty on the radiators for those affected to 90K miles. Remember getting something in the mail from Lexus. Do not believe it mentioned anything about having a tow package or not. Just about year of production. The other thread mentions about Canada built only, however, mine was Japan built and I still got the letter.
Old 08-23-11, 03:28 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah a small leak. I am at 113K
Old 08-23-11, 03:55 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Yeah a small leak. I am at 113K
Think you are on your own at this point.
Old 08-23-11, 04:15 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^ yup. Nothing but a minor issue though. The leak is so non sequential really.
Old 08-24-11, 12:51 AM
ti86la
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info guys....so which one is best radiator for my car?
a) soyo
B) tyc
c) spectra
anyone installed one of this above before?
Old 03-30-13, 01:53 PM
Formula271
Rookie

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Also forgot to tell you you can take the radiator out without taking the condenser out or unattaching the A/C liines. You will have to take out the upper cross member and the front vertical cross brace with the horns and hood latch attached.

Go slow and remember where you take out all of your bolts etc. from. It is not a crazy hard job, just a lot of things to take apart and reattach.

Lastly - buy two large screw clamps for the radiator hoses. The spring style clamps can and will give you trouble when trying to feed them back on. They can lock open but once they have done that these deform for whatever reason and make it very difficult to get back on.
Any special instructions you could offer using this method? Is it pretty obvious what bolts need to come off? Non-standard tools needed?

My 2005 AWD with tow pkg had a small crystallized amount of coolant on the upper right portion (near the cap). Yesterday, I noticed that the previously dry, crystallized area now has wet noticeable trickle trail.

I think I will go ahead and order the radiator from Sewell to have on hand for replacement when I can find some time.

A couple more questons...

1)For those that have done this, is the radiator the only piece needing replacement, or are there other associated items that should / need to be replaced at the same time? At the moment, my intention is to order the radiator and probably the hoses.

2) For anyone that has experienced the fresh trickle trail, has more serious catastrophic radiator failure preventing the vehicle from being driven soon followed? I'd like to think I can get to this in the next month or so, but if there are stories of this condition quickly leading to emptying of coolant on the highway, I may do it sooner. At the moment, I've never had to add any coolant.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-30-13, 11:16 PM
katzjamr
Driver

I had a trickle and was unaware of it because of all the plastic covers, and no evidence of fluid on the ground. but if it is leaking slowly it will get to a point where you do not have constant heat coming from the air vents since the heater coils are higher than the radiator, and you may hear a gurgling noise on startup from the firewall area, if it gets low enough. I never had any overheating or sign it was running warm at any speed. this was at 80,000, radiator was replaced at 83K. I should add that this happened during the winter in the pacific northwest, not sure how low fluid would work in a warmer climate
Old 11-25-17, 11:10 AM
umerjaved
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy leak in my radiator

hi everybody im new here i just bought a 2005 rx 330 couple of months ago and ive spotted a coolant leak on the floor i cant tell if its the radiator or the hoses but its at passenger side near the belts this morning i was checking my coolant levels and the plastic backup was all empty yet the car isn't over heating also i notice that there is a white crystal like stuff build up on the side walls of the radiator any suggestions please????

Quick Reply: Lexus rx330 awd radiator replacement