RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone fitted LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) to their Rx ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 01:22 PM
Eug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fitted LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) to their Rx ?

Good day

Has anyone fitted LED daytime running lights (DRL) to their RX ?
I'd like to see where's the best place to put them and what it looks like before deciding whether or not to buy some.

I have a Black 2005 RX300.
Old 08-17-11, 01:54 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eug, DRL on the RX is using lower voltage on the high beam 9005 bulbs so it's a little different than the tiny bulbs that other Toyota do. I do have a strip of white flat LED
on my retrofit as DRL

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ompletion.html
Old 09-06-14, 07:54 PM
jonavision
Driver School Candidate

I found the guys at AUTOLISMO in Vancouver do a very good job. They retrofitted my 400h with all new LEDs. I'm very satisfied. Tell them you heard about them at clublexus.com if you are in Vancouver.
Old 09-06-14, 11:03 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. The pic below is with the parking lights on so the LED running lights are dimmed. There are some more pics here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...thread-44.html

Last edited by jakenbake; 09-06-14 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:13 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My lip is due soon so trying to figure out where I can route LED lights to. Problem is that here in Australia, the factory DRL is not active (confirmed this and found that the fuse that would normally sit in the fuse box in the engine bay is not there). If I plugged a fuse in would it work I wonder with factory DRL? If so could I then splice into this somehow for the DRL's? I may actually get a shop to do it as well.
Old 09-14-14, 03:04 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Draco...even once you add the fuse, the DRLs are something that the dealership can also program on and off. So adding the fuse alone may not enable the DRLs. I am not sure if they program them off by default on the Australian models or not. But if you get the OEM DRLs working you can wire them to operate the aftermarket LEDs instead. I am not sure of the wiring diagram exactly but I know it can be done with a little modification around the relays. I would have to subscribe to the TIS to give you the exact wires to cut and reroute.

A better route (and what I did)...I disabled the OEM running lights and wired the aftermarket LEDs separately. I grounded the LEDs to the "Auto" switch on the steering column. Now the DRLs only operate when the headlight switch is in the "Auto" position. The OEM DRLs operate in the "Off", "Parking Light", and "Auto" position so you can never turn them off without turning off the car. Wiring it my way, I have the option of turning off the lights completely if I desire.

Last edited by jakenbake; 09-14-14 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 09:38 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey Draco, what kind of LED DRL are you planning on your RX ? I'm curious
Old 09-16-14, 04:59 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

TBH mowmow not sure yet. Once my lip actually gets here I will see what my options are and then add them in. It would be similar to Jakenbake's picture up above regardless.
Old 09-17-14, 12:56 PM
chrispham
Driver School Candidate

I should be getting the LED 9005 80w bulbs in a few days. I'll snap a picture and share with you guys once it's done. My first order was for the 9006 by accident. Just bought the RX400h two weeks ago so I didn't get a chance to take a real good look at everything.
Old 09-17-14, 12:58 PM
chrispham
Driver School Candidate

By the way. How the heck do you replace the fog light bulbs???? I want to install HID bulbs in them but cannot find how to replace them. I saw someone had to remove the bumper??? Is this true? That would really suck.
Old 09-17-14, 04:48 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrispham:
You will need to detach the bumper enough to access the fog lights on the 400h.

I believe mowmow had a write up on how to do this.
Old 09-18-14, 11:28 AM
chrispham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks chuckbass. Ugghh.. Sounds like a big headache but I would really like to replace them with a HID kit. :-\
Old 09-18-14, 11:39 AM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Hey Chris:
It's not that bad. I installed an aftermarket HID for my 400h's fog lights. There's plenty of room for the ballasts and wiring. Light output is much better and of course, it looks cooler.

BTW: there are height adjustment screws for the fog lights. After installing the HID kit, you can access the screws just by pulling the wheel well liner enough to get your arm and a small screwdriver in there.
Old 09-18-14, 01:32 PM
chrispham
Driver School Candidate

Thats great to hear because I am more on the tech end than the mechanical end. Do you have the link the other user posted to change the fog light bulbs by any chance? I would like to do the exact thing your doing. What brand did you end up installing. I forget what brand I bought on Amazon but they seemed ok and came with the unit to stop any flickering. The flickering was on my Porsche with the first type I purchased. I read the flickering is more on German cars but I don't know how true that is. Thanks buddy!
Old 09-18-14, 05:05 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chrispham
Thats great to hear because I am more on the tech end than the mechanical end. Do you have the link the other user posted to change the fog light bulbs by any chance? I would like to do the exact thing your doing. What brand did you end up installing. I forget what brand I bought on Amazon but they seemed ok and came with the unit to stop any flickering. The flickering was on my Porsche with the first type I purchased. I read the flickering is more on German cars but I don't know how true that is. Thanks buddy!
Here's the link to mowmow's fog light thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...fog-light.html I can't remember what brand I got, something off of ebay. I haven't had any issues, ballasts were solid.

I've also heard that German cars have more flickering issues with the HID kits. Not sure why.

Last edited by chuckbass; 09-18-14 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone fitted LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) to their Rx ?