RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 09:44 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge

When taking our 2007 RX out of say a 72 degree garage to say a 90 degree day, it takes at least 10 minutes for the outside temp gauge to finally creep up to the ambient temperature. The gauge feels very sluggish at all other times. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-14-11, 06:16 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that while you're driving, or just pulled out of the garage and idling in driveway?
Old 08-14-11, 06:36 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2007 RX takes about 5 minutes to show the correct outside temp. You might want to check the sensor which would be located behind the front bumper. Cleaning? Loose Wire?
Old 08-14-11, 06:39 PM
sderman
Advanced

Default Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge

Thanks for you response. I don't idle once I pull out of the garage - I just go off. And then, despite driving for a number of minutes (a mile or so), the reading stays at the garage reading and then slowly creeps up to the show the real outside temperature. But this can take 10-15 minutes and 5-10 miles. And the reverse happens as well going from a hot area to a cooler one. This starting occurring about a year ago. The reading just takes way too long to react to temp changes. It's almsot as if the temp sensor, wherever it is, is wrapped in insulation which slows it's reaction time to temp changes.
Old 08-14-11, 11:26 PM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with rainbird. Perhaps check the sensor. Remember that it has a direct impact on the way the Auto Climate Control works, too.

Seems to work fairly well on my RX. It does take a few minutes to adjust after pulling out from being parked for the night (or day). I think it's the heatsink effect of all the bodywork (and floor of garage or parking spot).

However once underway it reacts to outside temp changes pretty well.

On my earlier MAzda CX7 I did notice that the external temp was getting very slow to respond. Got them to check and it had failed!

cheers

Satz
Old 08-15-11, 10:43 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Temp sensor pic..

Voila. Easy enough to replace if you want to spend the money.

Old 07-19-13, 08:43 PM
sderman
Advanced

It's been 2 years since my last post on this and I still have the problem of sluggish outside temperature readings (today drove about 10 miles and temp reading inched up from about 72 in the garage to only about 80...and it was 95 outside!). Can someone tell me exactly how to locate the temperaure sensor (for a 2007 RX). I understand that it's behind the front bumper (left or right?) but how do I get at it? Thanks!
Old 07-20-13, 11:26 AM
Rainbird

It's behind the grille. Number A1 in the attached electrical component diagram.
Attached Thumbnails Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge-electrical-components.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ayaded (05-05-21)
Old 07-28-13, 05:02 PM
sderman
Advanced

Thanks Rainbird - much appreciated!
Old 08-07-13, 10:12 AM
sderman
Advanced

Hi Rainbird, Yup it was the thermister - replaced and now working fine. Ordered from Sewell for $12.07 plus $10.44 postage, essentially the same price as for non-Lexus replacements with shipping when ordered from a number of other online dealers. An aside: before I ordered it I stopped by a local Toyota dealer figuring it would be the same part as for their 2007 SUV. Parts guy said I should get Lexus part number to see if he could cross it over. But get this, he said the part should run about $70!!! I assume he was estimating what the Toyota price is for such units. Lesson is that don't assume Toyota parts will be cheaper.
Old 08-08-13, 03:48 PM
Rainbird

Glad that worked out for you.
Old 08-08-13, 04:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Hi Rainbird, Yup it was the thermister - replaced and now working fine. Ordered from Sewell for $12.07 plus $10.44 postage, essentially the same price as for non-Lexus replacements with shipping when ordered from a number of other online dealers. An aside: before I ordered it I stopped by a local Toyota dealer figuring it would be the same part as for their 2007 SUV. Parts guy said I should get Lexus part number to see if he could cross it over. But get this, he said the part should run about $70!!! I assume he was estimating what the Toyota price is for such units. Lesson is that don't assume Toyota parts will be cheaper.
Perhaps a case of checking with the local Lexus shop regarding their price for the part, especially for low cost items such as this, should you have a dealership in your local area. Looks like your order with Sewell might have come in near the retail price for the part you might have paid local.
Old 08-14-13, 01:38 PM
sderman
Advanced

Agree fully, but we also have to remember that running to a local dealer may not be worthwhile costwise considering that the fully allocated costs (deprec, fuel, oil changes, other maintaince, insurance, etc) to drive a Lexus probably ranges from $0.60-$1.00 a mile. Not to mention value of your time. Our closest dealer is about 30 miles RT.
Old 08-18-13, 04:37 PM
sderman
Advanced

BTW, the Toyota part number (it came with a Toyota sticker from Sewell Lexus) is 88790-22131
Old 05-16-15, 07:36 AM
sderman
Advanced

Default Sluggish Temperature Gauge is Back!

Originally Posted by sderman
May 2015 Update: Replacing the thermister in Aug 2013 cleared up my case of the sluggish temperature gauge. But the problem is back again. Will probably replace thermister again (plan to trade in for a 2016 RX) but wondering what others have experienced with his problem.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge