RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sluggish Outside Temperature Gauge

Old 05-16-15, 08:09 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Just a heads-up: I just ordered the thermister from MyLParts.com using the CL5 code they offered to Club Lexus members (see their offer below pasted in from another post) The ground shipping came out to $15, not the $5 promised by the company. The web site did recognize the code since it gave me the 10% Club discount. I indicated in the comments section to only place the order if shipping is indeed $5. Will let you know what happens.

Originally Posted by MyLparts View Post
"Hey everyone we have increased our Club Lexus discount to 10%! Just use the discount code CL5 and you will receive an additional 10% off of your order. We offer free shipping on orders over $150 and $5 shipping on all other orders. We do not sell any large body pieces and brake rotors are not included in our shipping specials. Those things are just too dang heavy! Hope to see many of you at www.MyLparts.com! Ask for Matt or Jeff"
Old 05-18-15, 07:26 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
May 2015 Update: Replacing the thermister in Aug 2013 cleared up my case of the sluggish temperature gauge. But the problem is back again. Will probably replace thermister again (plan to trade in for a 2016 RX) but wondering what others have experienced with his problem.
sderman,

I had similar issue, my outside temp reading was sluggish. Had to replace the sensor located in the front grill. I purchased the unit from a Toyota Dealer, the total cost of the part was under $21 including sales tax . I called a Lexus dealer to ask for the cost of the part and obtained the part number for my car ( PN 8879022131). Then went to a Toyota Dealer and provided the part number and were able to reference it. At the Lexus Dealer the cost of outside temp sensor was over $50 and it was the same identical sensor.

It has been about 3 months since I replaced this sensor. However the day after replaced the sensor I noticed same behavior, outside display temp was sluggish. I immediately thought that it could be impossible given the fact that I had just replaced the sensing unit. Here is what I did and it worked for me: with the vehicle running I unplugged the cable connected to the outside temperature sensor and drove the car around the city for about 15 minutes until the temperature in the display cleared (in the outside temp all I saw was this ---- , meaning no reading). Then I plugged the sensor again... problem solved.!!!

Last edited by robbyk; 05-18-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 10:55 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by robbyk
sderman,

I had similar issue, my outside temp reading was sluggish. Had to replace the sensor located in the front grill. I purchased the unit from a Toyota Dealer, the total cost of the part was under $21 including sales tax . I called a Lexus dealer to ask for the cost of the part and obtained the part number for my car ( PN 8879022131). Then went to a Toyota Dealer and provided the part number and were able to reference it. At the Lexus Dealer the cost of outside temp sensor was over $50 and it was the same identical sensor.

It has been about 3 months since I replaced this sensor. However the day after replaced the sensor I noticed same behavior, outside display temp was sluggish. I immediately thought that it could be impossible given the fact that I had just replaced the sensing unit. Here is what I did and it worked for me: with the vehicle running I unplugged the cable connected to the outside temperature sensor and drove the car around the city for about 15 minutes until the temperature in the display cleared (in the outside temp all I saw was this ---- , meaning no reading). Then I plugged the sensor again... problem solved.!!!
Thanks RobbyK, I'll try it, although my experience was a little different in that the replaced thermister worked correctly for more than a year - and then became sluggish again. About your Lexus dealer price of $50. At MyLPart.com the same part (88790-22131) lists for $16.31, is sold on the site for $13.05, and the Club Lexus discount brings it down to $11.75. My only issue is with their shipping price of $15 which should have been $5 for Club members.
Old 05-24-15, 06:42 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by sderman
Just a heads-up: I just ordered the thermister from MyLParts.com using the CL5 code they offered to Club Lexus members (see their offer below pasted in from another post) The ground shipping came out to $15, not the $5 promised by the company. The web site did recognize the code since it gave me the 10% Club discount. I indicated in the comments section to only place the order if shipping is indeed $5. Will let you know what happens.

Originally Posted by MyLparts View Post
"Hey everyone we have increased our Club Lexus discount to 10%! Just use the discount code CL5 and you will receive an additional 10% off of your order. We offer free shipping on orders over $150 and $5 shipping on all other orders. We do not sell any large body pieces and brake rotors are not included in our shipping specials. Those things are just too dang heavy! Hope to see many of you at www.MyLparts.com! Ask for Matt or Jeff"
I was eventually billed just the $5 for the shipping but it was unfortunate that I had to leave a comment on my order form about this. Entering the CL5 code should have yielded this shipping price automatically (as it did the 10% discount) rather than the $15. But I have another issue with their web site which automatically saved my credit card info on their site although I never asked for this or gave my permission for them to retain my info. Having been burned by the Target incident I am a bit wary about storing my CC info on any vendor sites. What was worse was that I was unable to delete the card # from their site. I finally was able to change my CC # by a few digits thus providing them with an unusable number.
Old 06-10-15, 01:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by robbyk
sderman,

Replacing the sensor once again fixed my problem of sluggishness. At least for me it seems to just be sensors going bad after a 1-2 years. Strange since it is probably just a solid state device. Hope this is the last time I will replace it since contemplating a new RX later this year.
Old 05-05-21, 04:08 PM
ayaded
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, I need a plan similar to the picture above, but my car is a Lexus model ES350 in 2009, and if you give me a blueprint for the whole car, thank you

Last edited by ayaded; 05-05-21 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 04:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

مرحبا ، الإنجليزية فقط من فضلك

hi ask folks to post in English please