RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 10:31 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 01blkgts
I need some help wit buying tires for my RX 350. Currently the car has 5 Nexen tires from previous owner. Fronts are almost bald, and the spare as well. Rears have a decent amount left. I am leaning towards the Goodyear Comfortred. So should I buy 5 tires to incorporate into the rotation, or just buy 4, and use the good old tire and mount it on the spare? eventhough it's a different tire as the new ones. Would I damage the differential if I needed to ride on the spare?
If you look earlier in this thread you will see some good comments about the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring and that I usually include it in the list of tires to look at when it comes time to replace. May not be the perfect tire for your needs, however, what tire ever is.

As for whether to buy four or five tires, if the date code on one of your better Nexen tires is less than five years old I would think about just getting only four at the moment. If they are all five years or older I would get five. The spare always seems to have more tread or less tread than the other tires, so no worries here. The AWD system is designed to deal with small differences. Would just not leave it on for any extended period of time. Get where you need to go and buy two new tires at that time as needed scenario. Treat the spare as a donut.

Good luck. Let us know what you get and how they ride for you.
Old 03-14-14, 11:28 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Default Bridgestone @ Costco update

Decided to drive out to Costco today to pick up a few items for the weekend and stopped into the tire shop to see what was new and exciting. The had three different Bridgestone tires in the 18" size:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Please note that only the first one shows up on the main Costco web site at the moment. However, you can get the other two if you want. If you are a member of Costco you just need to stop in and ask to have them order you a set.
Old 03-17-14, 07:38 AM
Libertylvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Ecopia's (H/L 422) on March 10, 2014 at Costco. They had them in stock and it was $690 after a $70 rebate including balancing fees and before taxes. A bargain considering upon going to a Firestone Tire shop for alignment, they priced them out at $905 including tax. I love the smooth and amazingly quiet ride.
Old 03-17-14, 07:58 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Libertylvr
I bought the Ecopia's (H/L 422) on March 10, 2014 at Costco. They had them in stock and it was $690 after a $70 rebate including balancing fees and before taxes. A bargain considering upon going to a Firestone Tire shop for alignment, they priced them out at $905 including tax. I love the smooth and amazingly quiet ride.
What happened to the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus you were going to buy? They are in stock here in FL at the nearby Costco.
Old 03-17-14, 09:17 AM
alex1372
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my Ecopia H/L 422 yesterday as Costco ($756 installed) as well - maybe my original Michelin's were on low side but new ones are definitely queter and my MPG went up a little too
Old 05-26-14, 12:18 PM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

Default Bridgestone - Dueler Alenza Plus or Bridgestone - Dueler 422 Ecopia?

I need to get some new tires for a 2006 RX330 with 18" wheels. I don't think I've ever bought Bridgestones in the past but there has been good comments here. The two tires both come highly recommended on this forum and cost basically the same price so I'm wondering which would be better. I live in Florida so these will thankfully see zero snow or mud but they will see rain.

Would you roll the dice on the new Alenzas or go with the Ecopias? Or something else?
Thanks!
Old 05-26-14, 12:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

The Alenza Plus is too new for much data. Only one CL member has installed them on their RX so far from what we have seen.

Both are available at Costco. The Ecopia has been giving owners a nice quiet ride from the looks of things.
Old 06-24-14, 05:16 PM
AGLAV8R
Driver School Candidate

Well, after a three day research and the general census being that the 422 Ecopia is a smooth, quiet tire, we gave it a go.

The Costco salesman was telling us that the Ecopia, even though it is a 65K mile tire, does not last that long, but as long as we rotated them they will honor the warranty. He also said that it was not smooth or quiet. He recommended anything Michelin. I do not dislike Michelin and I do not have a brand preference. The Michelin tires were on sale with the 70 bucks instant rebate when you buy four, but I still went with the Ecopia as I wanted to try them and they were hundreds cheaper.

So far my wife really likes them. She keeps telling me how smooth and quiet they are. The true test is coming soon when we drive them on the highway at 70+ MPH. Thus far 60 MPH has been the fastest and they are buttery smooth and quiet.

So thank you CL for providing me with some informative decision. I will keep you all posted on how they do over time.

I also had my eye on the Michelin Premier A/S, but I did not want to try them until I got some better reviews.
Old 06-24-14, 11:01 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by AGLAV8R
The Costco salesman was telling us that the Ecopia, even though it is a 65K mile tire, does not last that long, but as long as we rotated them they will honor the warranty. He also said that it was not smooth or quiet. He recommended anything Michelin. I do not dislike Michelin and I do not have a brand preference. The Michelin tires were on sale with the 70 bucks instant rebate when you buy four, but I still went with the Ecopia as I wanted to try them and they were hundreds cheaper.
Its almost as if the guy is getting a commission out of pimping Michelins.

My RX came with Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires, and I have to say, these are the loudest tires I've ever had on a vehicle. They make my Dodge Caravan seem quiet. I hate them, but unfortunately, they have a lot of tread left on them, at least a year and a half left.

My wife doesn't know anything about tires, so I'll have them replaced next year.

So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see which is better between the Bridgestone Alenza Plus and the Ecopia.

Does anyone have the Firestone tires like the Affinity Touring or the Precision Touring? I've had very good experiences with the FR models on my other vehicles. Very quiet and smooth ride. Made a HUGE difference on my van as well as other vehicles.
Old 06-25-14, 10:44 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

By the way the Parada X's are just about finished at 40k miles. Great riding and fantastic traction. Very quiet for a long time. But looking forward to something different.
Old 12-08-14, 07:48 AM
Fancylad
Driver School Candidate

Question New kid on the block

I just purchased an 07 RX350 and stumpled upon this forum while researching replacement tires for this vehicule. I understand that the Bridgestone Dueler H/L are favorites but I find this relatively new Michelin Premier A/S has the best reviews:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wws=N&showcm=N

Would you guys recommend this tire or should I stick with the bridgestones?
Old 12-08-14, 05:15 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Belle Tire was having a sale here. 100.00 off certain brands. I just had a set of BF Goodrich Advantage TA put on. Its only been a few days, but no complaints.
Old 04-01-15, 03:37 PM
PortAh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put in Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia in 9/2011 when it first got out. It's pretty good, but now 26k miles past, it's worn down to 5/32" according to AT store. I felt it's worn out faster than it should be.
Normal mixed freeway/local driving in CA, 07 RX350 AWD. Does it sound about right?

The store told me the Alenza Plus is now a 80k mi warranty tires. The prev set I had before the Ecopia was the original Alenza, it worn out about 40k miles on 07 RX350 AWD.

I am also looking for a new set, and would like to try another brand/model.

The best SUV tires I had was Michelin LTX M/S in 2000 RX300 AWD. Best tire ever, lasted me 90k mi seriously no joke. Too bad they dont make it in 235/55/18.
Old 04-03-15, 04:41 PM
genedjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Research, and a few questions

OK, I read though the 17 pages and like all the discussion. I will probably be replacing the Goodyear ComforTrak this fall before the snow starts. My needs are simple, quite smooth ride and snow performance.

Since we just got our RX we test drove literally a dozen 2007/08s and we both were surprised at the differences in ride quality. I originally attributed this to suspension wear not so much tires, but now I think a bit of both.

So now my questions:
  • I saw several posts with 35lbs and 40lbs pressure. But the pressure indicated on the door (in mine) is 30lbs. What advantages are being sought with a higher pressure? It would seem ride quality (smoothness) would suffer.
  • I did not see any discussion around Big-O or other 2nd tier brands. Big-O has a pure snow tire that is getting good reviews in other places. Thoughts?
  • I also saw only one post about run-flat tech. My concern here is that they would have a much harsher ride given the need to run with zero pressure. But the safety margin may be worth it. Thoughts?
  • I saw one post about treating the spare as like a compact spare (donut). I believe mine has a full size spare and mag wheel and is being used in the tire rotation (same wear). Thoughts?
I still have plenty of time to decide, but again, quite, smooth ride with great snow performance.
...gene
Old 04-03-15, 04:53 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Pressure of about 35 is fine. I don't think there is any need to go higher.
Why would you want to put a 2nd tier brand of tire on a 1st tier car? Don't do it. There is a reason Michelin is more expensive.
Do not put run-flat tires on an RX. Just don't. Quit thinking about it. Really. You won't like it. I am being honest with you. Start thinking about some other subject.
My RX has a full size spare, but adding the fifth tire into the rotation can cause problems depending on the tread and the rotation pattern. But if you leave it in the car for 10 years, you should replace it anyway. Here's where that 2nd tier tire can save you money.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices