RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 12:51 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikli
Which Michelin do you use? MXV4 S8?

Those B the ones. V speed rating.
Old 05-29-12, 09:05 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They gave me $90.00 each as a trade-in towards the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, about half their new tire Dunlop GrandTrek price. I really wanted to get rid of the Dunlops.
Old 05-29-12, 02:49 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hated the Michelins MXV4 , loud, and very stiff. I am running Toyo Proxies STII, but I am also running on the factory air suspension and I am running a 255/50/18 cause I wanted a wider profile. They are almost at about 60,000 miles on those tires now. When I first put them on they were great, can be stiff on the really hard bumps but much smoother on the freeway than the Michelins and more millage. MY RX spends more time on the freeway than on the city streets. My mother-in-law has the toyo versado tires on her 09 RX but she doesn't have the air suspension so i haven't been in her RX to see how those tires feel and it won't be an exact comparison to my RX unless I take her wheels off and put them on our RX and drive with them for awhile. But since I have always had my best experience with Discount Tire, Wouldn't buy the Toyo locally cause Express tire service is shoddy at best. I am interested in trying the Nitto 850 CUV but they are so new, they are hard to find on-line and at Discount Tire for a decent price
Old 05-29-12, 05:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I had Michelin MXV4's and prefer Comfortred Touting
Old 08-01-12, 01:20 AM
leftylimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Folks:

Dropped by while doing some research on replacement tires for my 2006 RX330. We've had no problems as I could tell with our Goodyear Eagle RS-As, but still wanted to see what else was out there, especially since it's time to get some new ones.

Judging by the reviews here and elsewhere, the Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires piqued my curiosity. I also dig the Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs, but we're the basic L.A. road and freeway family who are looking for nothing more than a quiet, comfy and durable ride from point A to point B. Having to deal with L.A. traffic most of the time I don't see much room for "aggressive" driving either, so I'm not sure if those Paradas are necessary. They do look sporty though.

I'll be checking with our Lexus dealer to see if they carry it; also they offer price matching so it's time to shop around. I'll keep you posted when possible. Thanks.
Old 08-14-12, 07:33 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone with high miles on Goodyear Comfortred?

It's time to buy tires for my wife's 05 RX330 with 18" wheels. I see a lot of initial good reviews for the comfortred, but I wanted to see if someone can comment on noise and comfort/handling after 20-30 thousand miles. I'll appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-14-12, 10:07 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Went with Bridgestone Dueller Ecopia, so far so good.
Much like the Michelins except the price.
you mean it is lower price than michelins. I know costco has $70 rebate on bridgestone tires.
Old 08-17-12, 08:06 AM
stevenmoua
Driver School Candidate

I had to replace the Eagle RSAs on my Rx330, they were wearing down and wouldn't pass inspection, plus had a lot of vibration at high speeds. I got a price match for the Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads at discount tires because tire rack had them lower. They also have a special for a $80 mail in rebate. I just got them put on this morning and they're really good. Very quiet and handles well. Do they actually go through 60k miles?
Old 08-18-12, 04:26 PM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We put the goodyear comfortreds on our 2007 rx400h last September, and currently have about 11,000 miles on them. They are still quiet and comfortable. Wear looks good, although I don't have a precise measurement. We had a set on the 2001 Chrysler minivan we traded in on the Lexus, and were happy enough with them that the decision about what to put on the RX was an easy one.
Old 08-22-12, 02:09 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zig@tr
Can't go wrong with these. Their only flaw is they are a few pounds heavier that the OEM tires. I've had them on my RX350 for almost 3 years and ~25k.
Old 08-24-12, 10:42 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to share my recent tire experience. 2010 RX350 AWD. Came from the dealer with Dueler H/L 400's which lasted until about 40k. Overall we were pretty satisfied with them. I drive about 75% highway.

I was deciding between the Dueler 422 Ecopia and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Ultimately went with the Ecopia because I thought they would be comparable or better than the stock Duelers. Right away I noticed that the Ecopias seemed slightly louder (highway) and had worse handling characteristics than my original tires. Drove with them for about 3 weeks and my feelings did not improve. Fortunately I was able to take advantage of Bridgestone's 30 day trial period, so I switched them out for the Scorpion Verdes.

Handling difference is night and day. The Scorpions were much improved in that area. Road noise and ride comfort are comparable to the Ecopias, but the Scorpions make the RX feel much more "planted" than the Ecopias. Very happy with wet handling as well.

Tire Rack has a recent test comparison that includes these 2 tires (wish I had this info at time of purchase!). They prefer the Pirellis and I definitely agree with their findings.
Old 08-26-12, 12:11 PM
gtownwes
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
Just wanted to share my recent tire experience. 2010 RX350 AWD. Came from the dealer with Dueler H/L 400's which lasted until about 40k. Overall we were pretty satisfied with them. I drive about 75% highway.

I was deciding between the Dueler 422 Ecopia and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Ultimately went with the Ecopia because I thought they would be comparable or better than the stock Duelers. Right away I noticed that the Ecopias seemed slightly louder (highway) and had worse handling characteristics than my original tires. Drove with them for about 3 weeks and my feelings did not improve. Fortunately I was able to take advantage of Bridgestone's 30 day trial period, so I switched them out for the Scorpion Verdes.

Handling difference is night and day. The Scorpions were much improved in that area. Road noise and ride comfort are comparable to the Ecopias, but the Scorpions make the RX feel much more "planted" than the Ecopias. Very happy with wet handling as well.

Tire Rack has a recent test comparison that includes these 2 tires (wish I had this info at time of purchase!). They prefer the Pirellis and I definitely agree with their findings.
I recently took advantage of the $100 off bridgestone deal at costco and went with the 422 ecopia's for my 05 RX AWD. Cost me about $775 out the door. I'm loving them so far. I'd agree that initially tires were not as quiet as I'd hoped, but after my first 500 miles they became much quieter. Full disclosure- i was coming from a set of crappy hankook's that were terribly cupped in the rear, so it sounded like i was riding in a jeep wrangler or something, so my noise judgment may be a little off. I used to be a die hard michelin guy but after putting a new set of bridgestones on my 01 LS430 last fall, I'm convinced they are just as good of a tire.
Old 08-30-12, 08:32 AM
Kendig
Driver

Originally Posted by Kendig
We put the goodyear comfortreds on our 2007 rx400h last September, and currently have about 11,000 miles on them. They are still quiet and comfortable. Wear looks good, although I don't have a precise measurement. We had a set on the 2001 Chrysler minivan we traded in on the Lexus, and were happy enough with them that the decision about what to put on the RX was an easy one.
Now that I've just gotten alignment and rotation done, I can provide more accurate numbers. At 10,700 miles tread depth (originally 11/32) is now 10/32.
Old 08-30-12, 07:35 PM
gt1209
Driver

Anyone tried Nitto 850+? I got a quote of 700 + tax for 18 in wheel.
Old 09-03-12, 02:44 AM
leftylimbo
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the delay but back with an update. Decided to stick with the Eagle RSAs, as I didn't have any problems with the old ones. So I got 4 new ones and so far, so good. Please note too that I'm in L.A., CA where there's no such thing as seasons, so an all-season tire probably covers more than what's needed over here

I'll try to give a progress report over the months. See you soon and happy driving.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices