RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheels Spacers/Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 07:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Mandyfig, love the calipers. That is how they should look on our RX as well.
Old 08-14-11, 04:29 AM
satz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember now some of the potential issues with using spacers. Can affect the suspension loads esp the bearings as there will be greater torque on them due to greater distance from hub.

Also must get hub-centric type of spacer, which has a jutting edge that sits in the original hub thereby taking much of the shear force away from the bolts...
Old 08-15-11, 06:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by satz
I remember now some of the potential issues with using spacers. Can affect the suspension loads esp the bearings as there will be greater torque on them due to greater distance from hub.

Also must get hub-centric type of spacer, which has a jutting edge that sits in the original hub thereby taking much of the shear force away from the bolts...
Beg to disagree. You have data to support this statement?

Depends on so many variables. Can not conclude without data.
Old 08-15-11, 06:06 AM
mandyfig

As I have stated before, when you decide to get new rims with bigger offset you are in effect doing the same with spacers, granting all else are within specifications, torque and quality of components.

I understand the cantilever effect. But with 35 mm offset, 1.37 " is not much.
Old 08-15-11, 04:42 PM
satz
Driver

Mandyfig
my comments weren't intended as an attack on you, or your decision! I was merely putting forward my thoughts so others could do their own research if they wanted. I don't need to provide data, etc.

Hope that clarifies the matter.

Now in regard to the measurement of spacers, could you please let me know whether your 25mm spacer moved each wheel outward by 25mm? Hence the track on the particular axle increased by a total of 50mm?

That's how I thought it worked, until I looked at Venom Motor Sports website where they had this description:

"The measurement given for the spacers is the overall track width for both axles. For example a 20mm set of spacers will widen the track by 10mm per wheel. Therefore if you want to widen your vehicle’s wheel track by 10mm, you will need to order a 20mm kit."

cheers

Satz
Old 08-15-11, 07:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I understand the cantilever effect. But with 35 mm offset, 1.37 " is not much.
You have to wonder how over spec'd the various bearings and suspension parts are to handle the increased loads minimal as they might be. You are correct, it should not be enough to make a difference. Big word is "should."

To answer the question if moving the tire and vehicle mass further out will have an impact on suspension parts Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) would take some serious computer computation time or a fleet of vehicles all running the same modification as a comparison. Data is just not going to be there in this case.

As long as quality parts are used and everything is tightened and checked on a regular basis you should be OK on this minimal mod without giving it a second thought. Just do not push the offset and keep in mind of the mod in your driving habits. For example, would not go to the track or flog the RX with these installed. If just for "slow -n- show" you should be fine.
Old 08-15-11, 08:41 PM
mandyfig

Absolutely right, if used under normal driving conditions, no potential issues for a slightly higher offset.

Offroading, that's a whole different scenario.
Old 08-16-11, 12:56 AM
satz
Driver

I've measured up my front and rear gaps. I have the 235/55/18 stock tyres and wheels. Used an 81cm flat edge touching the top and bottom edge of tyre, then measured to the fender edge.

Front: to bring them dead flush with outer edge of fender arch is approx 25mm

Rear: to bring them flush with outer edge is approx 35mm

I might go a little conservative, and take off 5mm, to minimise the track width increase. Now trying to get some company in the US to ship to Oz

Old 08-16-11, 07:12 AM
mandyfig

25/35 seems to be the magic combination on stock Lexus. I can not blame you for getting a bit on the conservative side.

However I will encourage you to go full up. You will love it. What will 5 mm do?
Old 08-16-11, 08:23 PM
satz
Driver

I guess it's little things like lining up the new position of the tyre with that of the inbuilt rear mudflap, and also the possibility of gravel being thrown over the sides of the car.

I might do the rears first, probably 35mm each side. Then see how it goes.

My concern abt the bearings comes from my front bearing having failed at just 55,000km. Nothing to do with spacers in that case, but worries me a little about the strength of the stock bearings.

Mandyfig, any tips about actually fitting the spacers on? Did you use any sort of grease between the spacer and the hub?

cheers

S

Last edited by satz; 08-16-11 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-17-11, 09:31 AM
mandyfig

I guess it's little things like lining up the new position of the tyre with that of the inbuilt rear mudflap, and also the possibility of gravel being thrown over the sides of the car.

I might do the rears first, probably 35mm each side. Then see how it goes.

My concern abt the bearings comes from my front bearing having failed at just 55,000km. Nothing to do with spacers in that case, but worries me a little about the strength of the stock bearings.

Mandyfig, any tips about actually fitting the spacers on? Did you use any sort of grease between the spacer and the hub?

cheers

S
The spacers are plug and play. No need for anything else but a good torque wrench. Also you will need to re-inspect the spacers after a few hundred miles to make sure nothing has loosened. I just did my SC and everything was all good, re-torqued it just the same.
Old 08-17-11, 01:29 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mandyfig
Are these are brand you are referring to ?

hubcentric Wheel Spacer 25mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...item2566223af6

Hubcentric Wheel Spacer 38mm ( only one close to 35mm or else it's 30mm )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...item2566224024

Please advice, it's cheap enough for me to purchase without my wife complaining
Old 08-17-11, 07:22 PM
satz
Driver

Just checking whether you had to cut the original hub bolts so they didn't push against the new spacer?

I followed the link to the ebay seller, and one of their photos showed that the original bolts would need to be cut or even replaced with longer bolts. Guess it depends on the thickness of the spacer? Will need to measure the original RX hub bolts.
Old 08-18-11, 09:04 AM
mandyfig

Just checking whether you had to cut the original hub bolts so they didn't push against the new spacer?

I followed the link to the ebay seller, and one of their photos showed that the original bolts would need to be cut or even replaced with longer bolts. Guess it depends on the thickness of the spacer? Will need to measure the original RX hub bolts.
I had the exact same concern. Until I received the spacers. The the original lugs are offset and will not hit the spacer at all. Plug and play. Good pick up though!
Old 08-18-11, 09:08 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by mowmow
Mandyfig
Are these are brand you are referring to ?

hubcentric Wheel Spacer 25mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...item2566223af6

Hubcentric Wheel Spacer 38mm ( only one close to 35mm or else it's 30mm )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...item2566224024

Please advice, it's cheap enough for me to purchase without my wife complaining
mowmow,

I believe so. I did my SC and have not really looked at spacers for the RX, but it seems to be it. The vendor was good. I have bought another set for my friend's son's TC and I installed it, plug and play.

Go for it. Take pics when you put them on. Good luck.

I am like you it was reasonably priced and went under the radar. After looking at the bill and after questioning (more inquiring than questioning) the purchase, she looks at the SC rims and says...NOTHING HAS CHANGED! Go figure.

Quick Reply: Wheels Spacers/Adapters