RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How long between synthetic oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 10:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool. ^^^^^ I like this though;

For some engineers and mechanics, 5,000 miles is too long .

Drivers must take the weather and how much freeway driving they do into account before deciding when to change their oil, said Danny Beiler, part owner of an auto repair garage in Sarasota, Fla.

Freeway driving is less harmful to oil than driving in the city, but in Sarasota, the heat places nearly all cars under severe driving conditions that warrant more frequent changes, Beiler said.

"I have a problem with telling people 7,000 because you know they're going to go over that. I'd rather err on the side of being cautious and tell them to do it early."

Dewey Szemenyei, marketing manager for passenger car motor oil additives for Afton Chemical Corp., said he still changes the oil in his 1998 Toyota Sienna minivan every 3,000 miles.

"I really feel it's great insurance," said Szemenyei, whose company makes additives that go into motor oils and who chairs a Society of Automotive Engineers committee on engine lubrication.

"There's not what I consider a right answer. However, if you go with the owner's manual recommendation you should in general not have any problems," he said.

Last edited by lexus114; 07-22-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 10:34 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

2011 Lexus RX350
10K Oil Change Intervals

Something I missed when looking at the 2011 RX Warranty and Services Guide from the Lexus web site. (see attached)

I had noticed the need for 0W20 synthetic motor oil.

When I checked with the Service Managers at several of the local dealers they indicated that they are indeed NOT recommending oil changes before 10K miles in the 2011 Lexus RX350 after break-in when using 0W20 synthetic and when driving conditions are not extreme as noted in the Owner's Manual. They did want to see oil changes at 5K and 10K at first and they were both complimentary services. After 10K miles on the vehicle it was 10K oil change intervals.

They say from what they have seen the oil is in very good condition and shows little wear and is fairly clean when it comes out after 10K miles.

I understand the same is true with the 2010 and 2011 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder engine. Same oil weight, same synthetic oil requirement and same oil change interval being enforced at the dealer and backed up by the manufacturer.

Have attached the 2011 Toyota Camry Warranty and Services Guide as well.

So, are all the dealers and Toyota/Lexus now wrong? This is a corporate decision to do this backed up by the regional distributors. According to your reasoning all these people must now be wrong and Toyota/Lexus will be facing numerous lawsuits when these same engines start failing since they followed the dealer's and Owner's Manual advice to do 10K mile oil change intervals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RX_RXh_WSG.pdf (1.02 MB, 1061 views)
File Type: pdf
2011_Camry_WMG_lr.pdf (500.9 KB, 411 views)
Old 07-22-11, 10:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

If that`s what they say,stick to it. I would. Thats a different motor from the MZ motor.
Old 07-22-11, 11:14 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
If that`s what they say,stick to it. I would. Thats a different motor from the MZ motor.
That is the point I am trying to make. What is true for the RX330 is not the same as for the early RX350 or the now current RX350. What is true for my RX330 is not the same as for my Chevelle. To make generalizations that "no one" should be doing oil change intervals longer than 5K miles is just wrong.

The oil coming out of my Chevelle after less than 1K miles looks like it has had a hard life... because it has. Even with a balanced and blueprinted engine there is exhaust blow-by of the piston rings getting into the oil. Regardless, the Chevy big block is just rough on that heavy weight oil. The oil coming out of my RX330 after 5K is almost indistinguishable from new. And my vehicle is 8 years old now.

BTW, has anyone seen 0W20 oil? WOW. One of the local Service Managers showed me some. But for the new vehicles that is all it needs.
Old 07-22-11, 11:16 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
2011 Lexus RX350
10K Oil Change Intervals

Something I missed when looking at the 2011 RX Warranty and Services Guide from the Lexus web site. (see attached)

I had noticed the need for 0W20 synthetic motor oil.

When I checked with the Service Managers at several of the local dealers they indicated that they are indeed NOT recommending oil changes before 10K miles in the 2011 Lexus RX350 after break-in when using 0W20 synthetic and when driving conditions are not extreme as noted in the Owner's Manual. They did want to see oil changes at 5K and 10K at first and they were both complimentary services. After 10K miles on the vehicle it was 10K oil change intervals.

They say from what they have seen the oil is in very good condition and shows little wear and is fairly clean when it comes out after 10K miles.

I understand the same is true with the 2010 and 2011 Toyota Camry with 4 cylinder engine. Same oil weight, same synthetic oil requirement and same oil change interval being enforced at the dealer and backed up by the manufacturer.

Have attached the 2011 Toyota Camry Warranty and Services Guide as well.

So, are all the dealers and Toyota/Lexus now wrong? This is a corporate decision to do this backed up by the regional distributors. According to your reasoning all these people must now be wrong and Toyota/Lexus will be facing numerous lawsuits when these same engines start failing since they followed the dealer's and Owner's Manual advice to do 10K mile oil change intervals.
There are a number of forums where the oil change intervals are discussed. On the BMW forum pertaining to my BMW (and on which many members have had oil analysis after xxxx miles), there seems to be somewhat of a consensus that : 1. BMW's 15K miles intervals are too long; 2. the oils recommended by BMW (European LL01 spec) actually become better with use, and lubricate etc.. better after 3,500 miles than when new, as some of the additives disappear to become in the 'right' proportion; 3. The LL01 oils should probably be changed closer to the 10K mark. In addition, BMW recommends a once-a-year oil change if the mileage is not reached, and no-one seems against that.
On my RX350, I have switched to synthetic but because of warranty considerations, I still change it every six months or 5K miles, whichever comes first. Since I drive several cars, the RX usually only has only about 3K miles passed since the previous oil change, and, in my opinion, it is a waste of resources.
Old 07-22-11, 11:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
That is the point I am trying to make. What is true for the RX330 is not the same as for the early RX350 or the now current RX350. What is true for my RX330 is not the same as for my Chevelle. To make generalizations that "no one" should be doing oil change intervals longer than 5K miles is just wrong.

The oil coming out of my Chevelle after less than 1K miles looks like it has had a hard life... because it has. Even with a balanced and blueprinted engine there is exhaust blow-by of the piston rings getting into the oil. Regardless, the Chevy big block is just rough on that heavy weight oil. The oil coming out of my RX330 after 5K is almost indistinguishable from new. And my vehicle is 8 years old now.

BTW, has anyone seen 0W20 oil? WOW. One of the local Service Managers showed me some. But for the new vehicles that is all it needs.

I apologize for that, I didnt mean to make it seem like you shouldnt go more than 5k on any motor. But I wont do it on the 330 motor. Here again, just my opinion.
Old 07-22-11, 11:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pauljcl
There are a number of forums where the oil change intervals are discussed. On the BMW forum pertaining to my BMW (and on which many members have had oil analysis after xxxx miles), there seems to be somewhat of a consensus that : 1. BMW's 15K miles intervals are too long; 2. the oils recommended by BMW (European LL01 spec) actually become better with use, and lubricate etc.. better after 3,500 miles than when new, as some of the additives disappear to become in the 'right' proportion; 3. The LL01 oils should probably be changed closer to the 10K mark. In addition, BMW recommends a once-a-year oil change if the mileage is not reached, and no-one seems against that.
On my RX350, I have switched to synthetic but because of warranty considerations, I still change it every six months or 5K miles, whichever comes first. Since I drive several cars, the RX usually only has only about 3K miles passed since the previous oil change, and, in my opinion, it is a waste of resources.

Thanks, pauljcl. And I should have clarified that it is 10K miles or 12 months for the 2011 Lexus RX350 and 2010 and 2011 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder.

Sounds like you are about where I am on oil changes for my RX330. About twice a year regardless, usually under 5K miles unless I go off on one of my trips. Not worried about the warranty issues.
Old 07-22-11, 12:24 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The arguments are always the same in oil threads. You will never be able to convince me any machine that lives in heat, dirt and high speed revolutions can't benefit from frequent fluid changes.

Clean fluids are very cheap insurance if you plan to ride your RX into high mileage but if you plan to dump it in a few years I guess the only oil change you really need is the one just before you trade it.

Remember, the RX300 was supposed to be a 100k no service transmission.
Old 07-22-11, 12:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
I apologize for that, I didnt mean to make it seem like you shouldnt go more than 5k on any motor. But I wont do it on the 330 motor. Here again, just my opinion.
No reason to apologize. I was agreeing with you in a roundabout way.
Old 07-22-11, 07:12 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about arguing all over this. I just know that 3K on the newer engines with synth is not needed as far as my experience goes and even if I could go 7K I would not. Maybe a new 2011 RX I Dunno. Some BMW's are 15K between changes in the new cars.

Last edited by infinirx; 07-22-11 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 09:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
Just disregard this entire post...(except maybe the lifetime tranny fluid bit..that I agree with). If you're dying to learn more about motor oil (and how long you can run it in your vehicle) check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

There (among other information) you will find many UOA (used oil analysis) of well over 3000 miles (and even 7500miles) that show outstanding results in engine wear.

"ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies."

Could you post some of these numerous studies that show this?

"I do NUMEROUS oil changes weekly for an organization I volunteer with. I see new and very used vehicles all with a variety of intervals. EVERY one of them with lower intervals has better oil and filter condition than those with higher mileage."

Really? And how do you know this? I doubt you're paying for UOAs on volunteer oil changes, and you're likely not taking the time to cut open the oil filters to inspect the internals, are you?

UMMMM We do cut open the filters on MANY of the vehicles we maintain. We do fleet maintenance as well as aid for those in financial need and we have done UOA for the fleet vehicles we maintain. Google UOA's and you will find various studies stating that oils get dirtier the more you use them. Period end of discussion. You can state that they can last upwards of 10K miles, but the truth is oils collect deposits.

I have ran 2 vehicles to over or near 300K and a third to 250K miles ALL of which were still running well when I sold them. I firmly believe that frequent oil changes are far better for engines than 7 to 10K wait periods. When companies do those studies, it is often in the least stressful circumstances for vehicles.

Like I said, you guys do all the 10K changes you want. No sweat off my back.

I will guarantee an engine with oil and filter changes at 3 - 5K versus 7 - 10K given the same variables will last longer. No questions asked.
Old 07-22-11, 09:51 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Google UOA's and you will find various studies stating that oils get dirtier the more you use them. Period end of discussion. You can state that they can last upwards of 10K miles, but the truth is oils collect deposits.
Here's the very first hit when I googled "oil uoa"

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltesting.html
They mention 5000-7500 miles, and even 9000 miles for Porsche.

Of course oil gets dirtier as it gets used. There is no disputing that.

However, the quality of modern oils and technology that goes into engineering them (additives, base stocks etc.) does wonders in dealing with the dirt and contaminants in the oil, much more than oil of say...a decade ago.

The key is how much dirt and contamination can the oil deal with before it starts affecting wear rates on the engine.

I'd still like to see the studies that indicate -

"ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies. "

as you posted.
Old 07-23-11, 02:02 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carver
The arguments are always the same in oil threads. You will never be able to convince me any machine that lives in heat, dirt and high speed revolutions can't benefit from frequent fluid changes.

Clean fluids are very cheap insurance if you plan to ride your RX into high mileage but if you plan to dump it in a few years I guess the only oil change you really need is the one just before you trade it.

Remember, the RX300 was supposed to be a 100k no service transmission.

yeah I know right?
Old 07-23-11, 02:05 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcy
Here's the very first hit when I googled "oil uoa"

http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltesting.html
They mention 5000-7500 miles, and even 9000 miles for Porsche.

Of course oil gets dirtier as it gets used. There is no disputing that.

However, the quality of modern oils and technology that goes into engineering them (additives, base stocks etc.) does wonders in dealing with the dirt and contaminants in the oil, much more than oil of say...a decade ago.

The key is how much dirt and contamination can the oil deal with before it starts affecting wear rates on the engine.

I'd still like to see the studies that indicate -

"ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies. "

as you posted.

It`s funny how they keep mentioning how crappy the oils were 10,15,20 years ago. But yet I never had any problems with any of my motors? including my Chrysler Laser turbo,which btw I used regular Pennzoil conventional oil in.
Old 07-23-11, 10:14 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not so much that the oils were crappy, just that 3000 mile oil changes might have been recommended back then because the oils weren't as advanced as today. With modern oils, 5000 to 7500 or more miles is acceptable.

Quick Reply: How long between synthetic oil changes?