RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How do you turn auto-recirculation on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 11:23 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you turn auto-recirculation on?

I have an 05 RX330 with Nav and I have spent most of the day looking for ways to turn on Auto-Recirculation on the climate control. From the look of most of these threads a lot of people may be envious that my climate control never goes into recirculate mode without me pussing the recirculate button. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-12-11, 12:18 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

auto recirculation should be on by default...I took mine to the dealer to turn it off (part of the LPS settings)
Old 07-13-11, 04:45 PM
lexuskyom
Driver School Candidate

yep, u have to go to the dealer to turn it on "auto" or "manual"..they will do it for you and it should be free..all they do is plug your car into their computer and just switch it to auto..it's pretty much like computer set up..
Old 07-13-11, 09:21 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

This is my understanding of re-circ.

The computer checks the outside temperature and what is set by the occupant as desired temperature and then determines if the re-circ should be on or off.

Salim
Old 07-14-11, 03:03 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is my understanding of re-circ.

The computer checks the outside temperature and what is set by the occupant as desired temperature and then determines if the re-circ should be on or off.

Salim
This is correct, except in the RX330, this feature wasn't added until the 2006 model year.
Old 07-14-11, 05:24 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

I was hoping it would be a setting i could change. I will check it out. Thank you everyone.
Old 07-14-11, 06:56 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A/C computer is stupidly programmed however.

When it's a hot day and your car interior is like an oven recirc should not kick in until the temperature has been brought down. If outside air is cooler it makes more sense to use 100% outside initially.

Once the inside temperature has been brought down at least as low as the outside temp then it should switch to recirc because it will work more efficiently to recycle some of the air that is already cooler than outside. There may be some minor variation to this based on humidity level but I don't know if it can sense that.

Steve
Old 07-15-11, 06:17 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

Steve,
I completely understand what you are saying. I used to have a 95 ES that would switch to recirculate when the car was hot inside.

Sometime in the late 90's Lexus added the remote window open feature which i always use on a hot day. Having all of the windows open including the moon roof for a couple of seconds so the car airs out before i get into it works great. This would eliminate getting into a car with 200 degree temperatures to start.

I hope that helps.
Thanks
Josh
Old 07-18-11, 04:58 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

By the way, I took my car to the dealer and asked for this to be switched to automatic and it is still set in manual mode. I did notice that my headlights seem to switch on sooner. I think the service guy adjusted the wrong setting.
Old 07-18-11, 12:07 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by filmteknik
The A/C computer is stupidly programmed however.

When it's a hot day and your car interior is like an oven recirc should not kick in until the temperature has been brought down. If outside air is cooler it makes more sense to use 100% outside initially.

Once the inside temperature has been brought down at least as low as the outside temp then it should switch to recirc because it will work more efficiently to recycle some of the air that is already cooler than outside. There may be some minor variation to this based on humidity level but I don't know if it can sense that.

Steve
What I do is let the computer leave it in recirc, but just open the windows for a couple of minutes while driving - that vents out the hot air, then the A/C can do it's thing in recirc.

Recirc will actually give you colder air in the end as it cools AND dehumidifies the same air over and over. Eventually (especially as the humidity decreases) you will be more comfortable with recirc.
Old 07-18-11, 12:52 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
What I do is let the computer leave it in recirc, but just open the windows for a couple of minutes while driving - that vents out the hot air, then the A/C can do it's thing in recirc.

Recirc will actually give you colder air in the end as it cools AND dehumidifies the same air over and over. Eventually (especially as the humidity decreases) you will be more comfortable with recirc.

Especially with the weather were having now!
Old 07-18-11, 06:39 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course you will still feel hot for a time even after the superheated air is removed because all the interior appointments are extremely hot and radiating heat on you. You can try a little experiment when you get into the hot car by holding your hands in front of your face to block the intense infrared coming off the steering wheel and other points. Take your hands away and you can feel the heat beaming at you again like a heat lamp. So even if the car was instantly filled with cold air you'll still feel the heat baking you until the temp of the interior furnishings cools down.

Steve
Old 07-28-11, 09:25 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

According to the lexus dealer, there is something wrong with my system. It is set to be automatic but it functions as manual. I find it anoying that i have to manually turn on recirculate when it is really hot out to get the best performance.
Old 07-28-11, 11:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaMZX
According to the lexus dealer, there is something wrong with my system. It is set to be automatic but it functions as manual. I find it anoying that i have to manually turn on recirculate when it is really hot out to get the best performance.

Did you try the a/c computer diagnostic test? with the key off, press/hold I think it`s the auto and recirc. button. At the same time, turn your key on and see if you get any code from it.
Old 08-01-11, 05:53 AM
JoshuaMZX
Driver School Candidate

yes i did and it past. The test, tests each function and if i push the recirculate button, it switches to recirculate. It just doesn't switch by itself.

Quick Reply: How do you turn auto-recirculation on?