RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

My first Lexus any good advice for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 01:24 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My first Lexus any good advice for a newbie?

Hello all.
I just purchased my first Lexus, a 2009 Rx 350 AWD Bamboo with Navigation with 28k miles, at the end of June.I purchased it from an Acura Dealer and they couldn't do a CPO.

My old car was a 2000 Honda Accord Lx. The dealer said wow that's a big upgrade from a 4 cylinder car to a 6 cylinder luxury SUV.

What suggestions tips and advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I found some good suggestions so far like I can go to a Toyota Dealer instead of a Lexus for regular maintenance and to sign up at lexus to gain the full history of maintenance.

Two things off the top of my head were should I do an engine flush and put in full synthetic oil like Royal Purple, Redline or even Castrol Edge?

Should I replace the rotors with slotted drilled ones like from EBC.

But any other advice and tips you can share would be helpful.
Old 07-03-11, 01:48 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you still have the base warranty, ask Lexus to sell you 100K miles extended warranty

Remember the price they quote you is negotiable.

Salim
Old 07-03-11, 02:19 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with syn oil but I doubt you need to flush it. The 3.5 is a stout motor.

Can't speak to the EBC rotors but I feel the stockers are prone to warp.
Old 07-03-11, 02:58 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeeps is correct, at some point the stock rotors are likely to warp a bit.

I would look into putting some BG additive to your oil as this IMO is thebest additive out there for engine oil.

Look through threads here for the most common issues and you can often replace or prevent things from breaking down before they happen.
Old 07-03-11, 02:59 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Synthetic is always good IMHO. At two years old you might consider changing the radiator fluid, brake fluid, PS fluid and I would argue the transmission fluid as well but much smarter people than me around here say the new WS fluid really can go 100k. Gives me the heebie jeebies to even think about leaving tran fluid in that long!
Old 07-03-11, 03:01 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm with Carver. I flush my Tranny fluid every 60 - 75K or so. 100K for ANY fluid is a LOOOOOONG way to go without replacing.

Carver said it best, change your fluids and flush what you can, as you may not know what has or hasn't already been done.

Look up here how to seal your headlights if you are a DIY'er, if that is an issue with your year model.
Old 07-03-11, 03:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome and congrats.

You are still under factory warranty. Do not hesitate to take your vehicle by your local Lexus dealership to introduce yourself to the service shop. Using Toyota for the routine items is what I do with the exception of many DIY items. Keep an eye here and continue searching for topics such as filter changes, etc.

No need to rush out for the slotted rotors unless you do a lot of heavy braking. I am still running the original rotors without problem and without turning at 90K miles.

@Salim: Did we not have some dealership who was offering to provide discounted Lexus warranties? (Found it... at least one of the threads)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-warranty.html
Old 07-03-11, 04:23 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Most dealerships including Acura will fully service a car for the new owner. If so, there is no need to rush the oil change. Do the synthetic change at the next 5K service. Your RX350 will require a brake system inspection and flush at 30K, you best look into that. The transmission can go 100k without a fluid change, but remember it requires "Toyota World Standard Transmission Fluid". Use of any other product can affect the transmission warranty.
Old 07-03-11, 06:34 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1kool, your vehicle's service history doesn't need to be a complete mystery. You can create an account here: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home. After you enter your VIN you'll be able to see all of the services done at Lexus dealers. There other owner-related materials available there as well.

This online listing is not quite as detailed as the records you could get from your dealer but if something looks interesting your dealer should be able to print a particular shop order for you. At least you can see if the service events line up with the maintenance manual. You can also register any services that you perform yourself.

Also I can tell you that a number of folks on the SC430 forum recommend Midwest Toyota (Jerry Johnson). Some claim to have saved a ton of money on their extended warranties there.

As you are about to find out, your Lexus is a very nice automobile. Like any machine it will need maintenance and occasional repairs. Because it's a nice automobile and because there's a lot of glass and marble at the dealership it will cost more than your Honda Accord did to maintain when you go there. But then you didn't get into the Lexus brand because you were a poverty case. You can avoid becoming one if you're willing to shop around and get your hands a little dirty from time to time.
Old 07-03-11, 07:25 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cjs18
1kool, your vehicle's service history doesn't need to be a complete mystery. You can create an account here: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home. After you enter your VIN you'll be able to see all of the services done at Lexus dealers. There other owner-related materials available there as well.
Thanks. I signed up and checked it out. Give more details than CarFacts and Auto check. The person that had it before me kept up their scheduled maintenance but I do see something that worries me and may stop by that dealership and get more details. There was a reported issue with the display of the navigation unit, the person requested a rental and then put this up for sale. I have no problems with it so far.
Old 07-03-11, 07:31 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Most dealerships including Acura will fully service a car for the new owner. If so, there is no need to rush the oil change. Do the synthetic change at the next 5K service. Your RX350 will require a brake system inspection and flush at 30K, you best look into that. The transmission can go 100k without a fluid change, but remember it requires "Toyota World Standard Transmission Fluid". Use of any other product can affect the transmission warranty.
The Acura Dealer said they will do 4 free oil changes and tire rotation in the next 2 years. I plan on taking them up on their offer, but at the same time want to have it recorded in the system that I did the maintenance schedule on time.

I'm also curious to find out would they have synthetic oil because Honda never did it for me, they put in Dino oil and that's why I stopped going to them.
Old 07-03-11, 07:40 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome and congrats.

No need to rush out for the slotted rotors unless you do a lot of heavy braking. I am still running the original rotors without problem and without turning at 90K miles.
My Dad in Law said I drove the Honda like Jeff Gordon or Mario Andretti and would say a prayer when entering and leaving the car. I was planning on installing a collection plate since he started praying. Anyway, Now he's been laughing at me because I drive the RX 350 like I'm Driving Miss Daisy. According to him I act like I just got my drivers license but I subtly remind him that he didn't put a dime into this vehicle.

So I'm not going to rush out and get them, but I have a feeling they will be in my future.
Old 07-03-11, 07:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
The Acura Dealer said they will do 4 free oil changes and tire rotation in the next 2 years. I plan on taking them up on their offer, but at the same time want to have it recorded in the system that I did the maintenance schedule on time.

I'm also curious to find out would they have synthetic oil because Honda never did it for me, they put in Dino oil and that's why I stopped going to them.
Once you have created an account and entered your VIN to sign up your Lexus, you can enter you own service records info.

The dealer's free oil changes are probably not synthetic. Perhaps they will at least give you a credit towards the more expensive change if that is the way you want to go.
Old 07-03-11, 08:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

My Dad in Law said I drove the Honda like Jeff Gordon or Mario Andretti and would say a prayer when entering and leaving the car. I was planning on installing a collection plate since he started praying. Anyway, Now he's been laughing at me because I drive the RX 350 like I'm Driving Miss Daisy. According to him I act like I just got my drivers license but I subtly remind him that he didn't put a dime into this vehicle.

So I'm not going to rush out and get them, but I have a feeling they will be in my future.
I too find myself driving my RX at a more relaxed pace than other vehicles I have owned. Yes, I have pushed it to 9/10ths on occasion. However, that is not where this vehicle shines. Proper tool for the proper job. Is actually quite nice hopping in the vehicle and taking a break from the day's hectic pace.

Luckily for myself that I have other vehicles in the stable for me to take out my frustrations or go to the track with.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-- Mario Andretti
Old 07-03-11, 08:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks. I signed up and checked it out. Give more details than CarFacts and Auto check. The person that had it before me kept up their scheduled maintenance but I do see something that worries me and may stop by that dealership and get more details. There was a reported issue with the display of the navigation unit, the person requested a rental and then put this up for sale. I have no problems with it so far.
Probably didn't like how they could not enter nor change information or destinations when in motion. Either that or they got tired of having to constantly dismiss the initial lawyer message on the display. Sounds silly, but you would be surprised how easy it drives people crazy. Like my non-NAV system.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 07-03-11 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: My first Lexus any good advice for a newbie?