RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Engine: Rebuild vs Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 11:18 AM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine: Rebuild vs Swap

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I have an 04 RX 330. My wife was driving it and it was overheating it and unfortunately she didn't notice until it blew the motor. I am faced with a dilemma, do I rebuild it or do I swap it with another motor? I don't have the knowledge to do this myself, and not even going to pretend like I do. I saw some engines on eBay, but not sure if I should get one there or if there or somewhere else. I am looking to basically get this car running again.

Could you guys help me with the decision? I got a quote for $2500 to rebuild it by a friend of my brother, but I know you guys here would probably give me much better advice.

Thanks so much for your time.
Old 06-29-11, 11:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the friend of your brother qualified to handle the rebuild,along with any other complications that may arise? If so,that may be your best bet. But check your local bone yards, you may get lucky.
Old 06-29-11, 11:35 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could give you a direct answer. I am sure some one here can. But I would caution about who is dong the job. Make sure they know Japanese/Toyota and are not only working on Fords and Chevy's. I made the mistake on my Acura of having a non modern type mechanic rebuild the engine and within a few months the engine was needing to be rebuilt again. The Lexus engine bay has got so much going on in there. Not your usual Mustang.

Just putting it out there. I could be wrong, but I only go to a Toyota certified tech for stuff like this. I hope for the best in your rebuilt/or buy.
Old 06-29-11, 11:36 AM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

The thing is I don't know if I go to a junkyard if I can trust the guy to give me a good motor without a problem. Also, I am not entirely sure what I'm looking at. If I got a motor that was missing a bunch of stuff, I would be out of luck with a junk yard, but I feel like on eBay, I'd have some buyer protection. I live in NYC, if anyone knows some one that could be of help.
Old 06-29-11, 11:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by infinirx
I wish I could give you a direct answer. I am sure some one here can. But I would caution about who is dong the job. Make sure they know Japanese/Toyota and are not only working on Fords and Chevy's. I made the mistake on my Acura of having a non modern type mechanic rebuild the engine and within a few months the engine was needing to be rebuilt again. The Lexus engine bay has got so much going on in there. Not your usual Mustang.

Just putting it out there. I could be wrong, but I only go to a Toyota certified tech for stuff like this. I hope for the best in your rebuilt/or buy.

Thats why I asked if this guy was qualified, you dont want some shade tree mechanic doing this one.
Old 06-29-11, 11:50 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Right. Better that then having more messes to clean up.
Old 06-29-11, 12:04 PM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know a guy person to take a look at the job in NY? Car is currently parked in the Bronx. I could take pictures of it if that would help. I thought about selling it as it is, but I don't think I would get that much for it. I'd like to repair it, but I want to make the right decision on which one to do. I gather that a rebuild is tough and I don't want to be quoted $2500 but for it to be messy. Also, I got quoted about the same from some company in New Jersey, but they look really sketchy. This whole situation is a mess.
Old 06-29-11, 12:13 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Don't rely on this small thread area. There is a whole east coast section of the site and plenty of contacts I think you can find on Club Lexus. You have your work cut out for you. Maybe a Google on Toyota Certified mechanics NYC or something similar.

Last edited by infinirx; 06-29-11 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 12:14 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Start asking around for a reputable independent auto shop. Word of mouth may help you out here. I take it she ran the RX until it quit right? not a good scenario at all, that motor is toast.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-29-11 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 01:37 PM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

I posted in the North East section, thanks for the recommendation infinitrx.

She drove it until it couldn't drive no more.
Old 06-29-11, 02:07 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Like everyone else said just make sure the guy who does the rebuild is qualified. It's proabaly going to be hard to get a bunch of quotes but you should look into some repuatable shops and try getting a quote. For sure you'll save lots by going through a friend of a friend but that route has ended a lot of freindships. Last thing you want is to put money into a pretty new car and have to redo it all over.
Old 06-30-11, 06:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Qualified
I posted in the North East section, thanks for the recommendation infinitrx.

She drove it until it couldn't drive no more.

Women need digital dashes that talk,and tell you whats going on. I.E my 84 Chrysler Laser saved me one night. I was driving home in the middle of winter time,and the computer voice came on along with a ding & a message read out that stated engine temperature critically high! I was not paying attention to the temp. read out, The thermostat stuck temporarily so by the time I pulled over, it released and went back down again. I thought that was pretty cool though,at least I knew it worked! Lucky it was not summer time.
Old 06-30-11, 07:07 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When you do get someone, might it be an opportunity to put in a later motor (like a 350 engine instead of a 330 - not sure if at all possible mind you. I know it would fit etc but not sure of the computer mapping).
Old 06-30-11, 07:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by draco
When you do get someone, might it be an opportunity to put in a later motor (like a 350 engine instead of a 330 - not sure if at all possible mind you. I know it would fit etc but not sure of the computer mapping).
Problem with that draco is; It`s an altogether different configuration. just a low a millage as possible 3.3 (200cid) should be fine.
Old 10-07-15, 09:12 AM
Flyinhawk
Driver

The RX series Lexus were very poor when it came to drivetrain. Your best bet is to look for another car. The next thing to go on you if it has not already is the transmission. The awd system proved to be faulty

Quick Reply: Engine: Rebuild vs Swap