RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Transmission Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 02:10 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue?

We bought a 2008 RX 350 in February for my wife and the few times I have driven it I noticed something I think is odd when it shifts. 2 things actually. It hard to describe in words but I will try my best.

1. If I am braking and get down to about 5-10 mph and then accelerate quickly after, it shifts hard like I am trying to "floor it" even when I am not. However, if I am at a complete stop and accelerate the same way this doesn't happen.

2. If I'm going about 40 MPH and take my foot off both pedals (coasting), it feels like I am barely applying the brake (I slightly feel the inertia of my body moving forward). When it hits about 20 MPH the slight braking feeling "releases" and it feels like I'm coasting (which is how i think it should feel).
BTW, the e-brake is not on/engaged.

If anyone has any questions or insight please respond. It is a CPO but I want to hear what everyone thinks before I take it in. Probably in the middle of July when I get my free oil change.

Thanks
Old 06-20-11, 05:02 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it to the dealer and get the update done, assuming it hasnt already. there is a specific tranny update that fixes alot of problems.

also, i would change your tranny fluid. i did mine on the weekend, (no issues, just regular maintenance) and was amazed how much smoother the tranny works now.
Old 06-20-11, 05:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Do not sweat it, take it in so they can check it out. Under warranty.
Old 06-20-11, 05:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

CPO, take it in NOW!
Old 06-20-11, 05:22 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't change the fluid, it's unnecessary on a 2008 model. Take it to Lexus, let them deal with it.
Old 06-20-11, 07:26 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think there was ever a tsb for the shifting issues on the 07 + models. But if you feel something is wrong then get it to the dealer asap.
Old 06-20-11, 07:29 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Originally Posted by kiwi
get it to the dealer and get the update done, assuming it hasnt already. there is a specific tranny update that fixes alot of problems.

also, i would change your tranny fluid. i did mine on the weekend, (no issues, just regular maintenance) and was amazed how much smoother the tranny works now.
I don't plan on changing the tranny fluid, the car only has 44K miles.

What "update" are you referring to? Electronic, Parts?

Thanks Everyone for your replies.
Old 06-21-11, 03:53 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking it's a tyanny computer update.
Old 06-21-11, 04:20 AM
Benzat17
Rookie

ok i do not have the first problem !!
but i do have the second one driving 60km (40mph) and take my foot off the gas pedal it feels like i pressed the brakes just a tiny bit i didnt think its an issue .. but it is? i have 4 days warranty left bumper to bumper ( from a non-lexus dealer)
but isnt the transmission warranty up to 110,000KM i believe its 70,000 miles from lexus??

thank you
Old 06-21-11, 05:45 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

This could be as simple as clearing any "learned" habits from the previous owner. The vehicle does try to learn your driving habits and calibrates itself in accordance.

Seeing if there are any transmission code updates is also a possibility. While most complaints have been with earlier models there may be something for your 2008 though less likely to be the case.

#1 sounds to me like the one of the items I mention above. Just getting confused on what it should be doing and it stumbles over itself.

#2 sounds like it is a gear one lower than you think it should be at that speed and the braking you feel is coming from the transmission.

As mentioned above and being this is a CPO vehicle, the best thing to do would be to talk to a service advisor and have them go on a test drive with you as needed to reproduce.
Old 06-21-11, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
This could be as simple as clearing any "learned" habits from the previous owner. The vehicle does try to learn your driving habits and calibrates itself in accordance.

Seeing if there are any transmission code updates is also a possibility. While most complaints have been with earlier models there may be something for your 2008 though less likely to be the case.

#1 sounds to me like the one of the items I mention above. Just getting confused on what it should be doing and it stumbles over itself.

#2 sounds like it is a gear one lower than you think it should be at that speed and the braking you feel is coming from the transmission.

As mentioned above and being this is a CPO vehicle, the best thing to do would be to talk to a service advisor and have them go on a test drive with you as needed to reproduce.

Bingo! +1 I think this is it.
Old 06-21-11, 07:04 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi

Kiwi have you got a guide (that isn't a RX300 guide) for the RX330's and RX350's? Preferrably with pictures of the right bolt to remove to drain it. I just remember I did my ES300 and there were 2 bolts almost next to each other. Once being the tranny fluid, the other being for something else.
Old 06-21-11, 07:11 AM
Haunches
Rookie

I really appreciate all the responses.

I have an appointment Thursday and will report back here what I find. CPO or not I wanted to be prepared going to the dealership.
Old 06-22-11, 04:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

do you have an awd???
Old 06-22-11, 06:21 PM
Haunches
Rookie

No, it's not AWD.

Will update tomorrow after bringing it in to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue?