RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Have you had to replace battery under warranty?

Old 06-05-11, 10:27 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Have you had to replace battery under warranty?

Here's a question for those of you who have had to replace the original factory battery while under warranty--what criteria did the dealer use to justify replacement while in warranty?

The original battery on our 3-year old 2008 RX350 went dead out of the blue twice and I had to jump it to get it started. Both times I left the car in the garage for 2 days without driving it and the 3rd day the battery was dead even after a full charge using my charger. Never had any issue with it until now. The sight glass on top of the battery shows a very slight tint of green but otherwise clear mostly. Water was low in the cells but I filled to full after the first failure. Took car into the dealer and they found it to be "good". Service advisor said as long as the battery is tested good, they can't replace it under warranty. His advice to me was: "if it fails to start again, call Lexus Roadside Assistance and have them tow the car in. That way we know the battery is dead and it will be replaced under warranty". That just sounds absurb to me that I have to have the car towed before the defective battery is replaced. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-05-11, 11:14 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Warranty work needs justification. [This applies for Lexus as well as on any battery you purchase from any store]. They need to test and verify that the battery is bad.

This can be aggravating, at near the end of life [nothing to do with expected life] where a battery if it is not charged, [has not run for a week], will fail to start ... but once the vehicle is started, it will be good to go till the next dead period.

The sad part is, in order to prove it, the customer goes through aggravation, the cost to the Lexus warranty is more (every time a tow-truck is called), but this is needed to get the paper work done.

Have a discussion with the service manager and tell him/her that the process is causing you too much of an inconvenience. Also find out if after the aggravation, do you get a new battery or pro-rated cost. Battery at Lexus will be 1.5x to 3x the cost of what you can buy from auto stores and it may not be worth the money.

When my battery was on the fritz, I just bought a replacement battery on my own and did not even discuss the warranty option. ymmv.

Salim
Old 06-05-11, 11:30 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a warranty replacement recently. It died at the gas station. Called Lexus roadside and they sent AAA. He tested the battery and said it was bad. I had an option to buy one from him (my own money), tow it to the closest Lexus dealer but it was after hours and I did not want to leave it at an unfamiliar dealership or jump it.. He jumped the car and it works so I just took it home. The next morning I jumped it, it started and took it my dealership. I just told them the battery is dead, turned the car off, would not turn back on when they tried it and I got a new battery and a car wash. Zero dollars.
Old 06-05-11, 12:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

For me it was two jump starts two mornings in a row followed by having AAA finally tow the RX to the dealer since the battery obviously would not hold a charge. My RX was about 5 years old with 43K miles, outside of basic warranty but still under the battery warranty which is 84 months. The dealer replaced the battery, no charge. Everything was as good as new
Old 06-06-11, 01:37 PM
TheKirby
Driver

I had my battery taken under warranty. Although it was replaced after a week of purchasing it. No questions asked and just replaced it.
Old 06-13-11, 07:12 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Thumbs up Battery replaced ...

The old battery died while the RX was in the driveway and wouldn't take a charge. Called the dealer and service manager sent a technician to my house to have a new one put me. There was no charge since it was under warranty. The technician did say he had seen a number of early battery failures in Lexus but didn't know the reason since he had to replace quite a few of them and he had heard same story from other dealers. Good news is I didn't have to call Lexus Roadside Assistance to get a tow truck to tow our RX in just to replace a battery. Also, on the replacement battery, there's no longer a sight glass on top to check battery status.
Old 08-25-12, 10:55 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by koric
I just got a warranty replacement recently. It died at the gas station. Called Lexus roadside and they sent AAA. He tested the battery and said it was bad. I had an option to buy one from him (my own money), tow it to the closest Lexus dealer but it was after hours and I did not want to leave it at an unfamiliar dealership or jump it.. He jumped the car and it works so I just took it home. The next morning I jumped it, it started and took it my dealership. I just told them the battery is dead, turned the car off, would not turn back on when they tried it and I got a new battery and a car wash. Zero dollars.
Almost the same exact story, they tried to bill me, but the manager wavied it. Its is much an incovienence to proof them that things need to be replace.
Old 08-25-12, 05:12 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First battery replaced under warranty at 2 years second battery today purchashed at firestone...Interstate battery from firestone 99 $ Lexus 125 $..08 rx 350 67,000 miles...3rd battery
Old 08-25-12, 07:07 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought our RX couple months ago with only 36k miles. Prior owner had replaced battery end of 2011. Shortly after buying, battery was tested and was bad when car would not start on a Sunday. Had AAA come to house and replace it. Saved me a tow to dealer and messing with it on a Sunday. Plus, AAA warranties it and will provide free svc call in future if any issues.
Old 08-26-12, 09:18 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by txcoupe
Bought our RX couple months ago with only 36k miles. Prior owner had replaced battery end of 2011. Shortly after buying, battery was tested and was bad when car would not start on a Sunday. Had AAA come to house and replace it. Saved me a tow to dealer and messing with it on a Sunday. Plus, AAA warranties it and will provide free svc call in future if any issues.
previous owner had lexus put in a new battery oct 2010 from the records i checked through mylexus. Last week my battery failed, bad cell. Talk to the service manager and he told me, despite the 84 month warrenty on the battery as it clearly states, he said actualilty its a 2 yr free replacement and after that, a pro-rate rate. He was very nice about it explaining it to me.

My rant...yes my rant is try to be knowlegable with the vehilcle when purchasing, whether new or used.Since purchasing in last month and with CPO cert. you would think that the 161 inspection was thorough. I dont trust the stealership and in every way and they will try to bill you. I really dont think they take their time "inspecting" so triple check everything...

Last edited by StLucchese; 08-26-12 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-23-12, 07:26 PM
StkMkt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
For me it was two jump starts two mornings in a row followed by having AAA finally tow the RX to the dealer since the battery obviously would not hold a charge. My RX was about 5 years old with 43K miles, outside of basic warranty but still under the battery warranty which is 84 months. The dealer replaced the battery, no charge. Everything was as good as new
Couple of months back I purchased a 08 RX with 34K miles. The original lexus battery doesn't hold charge and few days back I have to jump start the car. It is disappointing, since I bought the car from a dealer which went for 160 point inspection.

a) So should I have to call Lexus Roadside assistance to replace the battery or any nearby lexus dealer?

b) since I am not the original owner (2nd owner) will they honor the 84 months warranty for battery... I am already out of the basic warranty.

Please advice.
Old 09-24-12, 10:43 PM
pbeach
Driver School Candidate

2nd owner also. Battery died several times. Jumped the car, took into the dealer. It would not hold a charge at the dealer. They replaced it, no questions. 09 with 36k miles at the time this happened.
Old 09-24-12, 10:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by StkMkt
Couple of months back I purchased a 08 RX with 34K miles. The original lexus battery doesn't hold charge and few days back I have to jump start the car. It is disappointing, since I bought the car from a dealer which went for 160 point inspection.

a) So should I have to call Lexus Roadside assistance to replace the battery or any nearby lexus dealer?

b) since I am not the original owner (2nd owner) will they honor the 84 months warranty for battery... I am already out of the basic warranty.

Please advice.
A lot depends on:

1. is the vehicle still under the standard 48 month/ 50K mile warranty? depends on the in-service date for your RX

2. the goodwill of the dealership. if you are out of warranty they may prorate, however, no guarantees.

Call Lexus Customer Service, find the in-service date for your vehicle and ask about how the warranty for the battery should be handled. Then, contact the dealership.
Old 09-24-12, 10:52 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

had a duralast gold (autozone) that died under (3 year free replacement) warranty.
took it to autozone, after verifying it was unrechargeable they replaced with a new battery.

edit: oops, sorry i didnt read the thread thoroughly and misunderstood which warranty was in question.
but yeah, GO duralast gold, woo