RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 gets a DNX6960

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 07:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Carver, have you seen the new Pioneer unit?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z140BH

Need to find a shop that has that and the new Kenwood to compare.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX7190HD
Old 05-11-12, 11:31 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to youtube for a review of that unit and the reviewer didn't seem to like it compared to the 8400 which is one step down from the Z140BH. Here's the review...

http://youtu.be/TEcVpvhU55M

But I did find out that Kenwood has released it's new models and they are getting very good reviews. The equivalent of the one I have is the DNX6990 which apparently addresses the many problems the 6980 (the model after my 6960) had.

The advantage to the 6900 series is the retention of a physical volume ****. Most other functions are touch screen but having an analog volume control is a needed safety feature for my clumsy fingers. Yes, I have SW controls as well but it's difficult to retrain after 40 years of reaching for the ****. Pressing the **** functions as a mute button as well.

The 6990 has streaming BT which would be nice for short trips, I have to plug in my iPhone to drive 10 minutes to the grocery store if I want my tunes or Pandora. For longer trips I would use the plug anyway for charging.

I looked at the Pioneer and the Kenwood closely and there isn't enough difference from my current unit to make me want to trade...yet.

Last edited by Carver; 05-12-12 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-12-12, 03:19 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Carver thanks for posting this video regarding the AVIC Z140BH, I was considering that model but I think I'm going to go with the other model that he mentioned pioneer Avh-p8400bh for the simple fact the screen looks cleaner, has all the options I want except navigation but I liked how easy it was to access the options. It's also cheaper because it's not the flag ship model anymore. I have a separate Garmin device anyway.

I also looked at some of his other clips regarding car stereo installation. For someone who's never done it, I thought this was a decent introductory of what's behind the dash for someone who's never done it before.

Although from what I understand I will should not need to cut any wires, but at least now I have a little more information especially in regards to color code of the wires. I will still need to contact beatsonic anyway for the face plate and by pass etc. Thanks again for posting this.

Last edited by 1koolfella; 05-12-12 at 06:54 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-12-12, 07:43 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post pics as you progress!
Old 05-22-12, 10:35 AM
Kdhillon23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Magnaflow 14829 work with rx400h ?
Old 05-22-12, 11:32 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should post this in the hybrid technology forum (link below) that is where the RX400h guys hang out. Also it's best to post this topic as a new forum posting.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/
Old 05-24-12, 08:46 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

The 4400bh is the same as the 8400 but w/o the detachable face. You may want to consider it at a lower price than the 8400 if the beatsonic kit will not allow the face of the HU to be removed. I should know about fitment in a week or so...my equipment is on its way. Have everything ready except head unit.

also if you get the beatsonic kit...it plugs into factory harness and all the wires are labeled. It would basically require you to look at the color code of the radios included harness and mate them with the beatsonic...then plug in...thats it. Also you may want to consider soldering and heat shrinking rather than crimping. I have never been a fan of crimps or plugs because Ive had them disconnect and had to pull everything out and find the one that came loose. And soldering is cleaner and IMO the proper way to establish permanent electrical connections.

Dont go to car toys its expensive. I will never go to them and pay 2g's for parts and install for double din...dash kit...amp install.

I bought these and will do myself.

1. Beatsonic dash kit
2. Pioneer P4400bh
3. 2 8 inch fosgate p1 (2012)
4. Memphis 250.1 monoblock
5. aswc by metra

seriously the HU and subs cost me 690 total. DVD relay was free. I already had the memphis amp. ASWC 60 bucks. Beatsonic dash 380. Amp kit 30 bucks. Building custom floor box myself.

grand total 1160 installed. Cartoys was quoting me 2200+ for double din...dash kit...sub install (not including the custom box, aswc, or dvd relay.

Yeah...I think Ill pass on charging me a grand for installation.

they knew I wasnt interested when I chuckled at the amount they told me....so the guy tried to convince me to go ahead and install my sub with line out converter to the factory system. I just shook my head and walked out. This was in Arlington TX by parks mall. They wanted to charge me ~700 in labor to crimp the beatsonic harness to the radio harness (all labeled by the way), and put it in my dash...run amp kit through the firewall down the scuff plates...to the cargo area and throw a sub in there. lol. Yeah right.

Last edited by yakitori; 05-24-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 11:44 AM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey yakitori I have an 2004 rx330 with navi, non mark levinson or whatever. Can I just purchase just the beatsonic dash kit and the pioneer unit and it will be plug and play??
Old 05-24-12, 12:48 PM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JForce
Hey yakitori I have an 2004 rx330 with navi, non mark levinson or whatever. Can I just purchase just the beatsonic dash kit and the pioneer unit and it will be plug and play??
think you need this one.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/s...nic-rx-82.html
Old 05-24-12, 08:18 PM
JForce
Rookie

So what am I looking for when choosing a receiver? Double DIN 7 inches right? All plug and play no cutting needed? As long as i get a double din receiver?

For example can I buy that kit and pick any double din receiver from here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

and it will work?

Last edited by JForce; 05-24-12 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 06:23 AM
yakitori
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JForce
So what am I looking for when choosing a receiver? Double DIN 7 inches right? All plug and play no cutting needed? As long as i get a double din receiver?

For example can I buy that kit and pick any double din receiver from here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

and it will work?
I believe the beatsonic opening is for a 7 inch (which is typically 6.95 inches I think.). It also has two side pieces that fill about a quarter inch gap on both sides of the touch screen. I would imaging you can use any head unit you wish as long as its not bigger. However, you will probably have to make some sort of custom kit to go inside the beatsonic to cover the extra open spaces.

what I look for in choosing a receiver is features...UI fluidity. Several of the Kenwood units Ive played with...and sony as well...had really laggy UI and I cant stand that. I want a responsive UI on my head units.

I personally like pioneer over kenwood. Ive had kenwood units in the past jack up on me. I had a nissan pickup back in the day (90s) and the front left channel went out. It started as intermittent and eventually just went. I know this was a long time ago and Im sure quality is good these days...it just left a bad taste with me and I wont buy another one.
Old 05-25-12, 11:16 AM
JForce
Rookie

Say I got this unit... will it work?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P3400BH

Does this look like the same unit for $100 cheaper?

Amazon Amazon

compared to the beatsonic site:
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-rx-82.html

something seems off in the pics though, but $100 difference...

Edit:

Also I found a video on removing the audio unit here:

There are antenna connections that I do not see in the pioneer units (even the one yakitori picked) but are available in the stock head unit. So are we gonna sacrifice radio?

Last edited by JForce; 05-25-12 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 08:32 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

You may want to contact BeatSonic to verify. To my understanding there are specific cables for what type of system that is in your vehicle. People on here have mentioned there is technical support, but if you buy it from another source as oppose to directly from them, not sure how much support you would receive.

Also you should see if you could download the owners or installation manual from Pioneer before you purchase the unit.

In the video clip regarding the removal of the radio, the center piece does move back so it could of given him more room to work, but maybe he was not aware that it could be moved back.

Last but not least there are differences btwn the Pioneer 8400 4400 and 3400 models. The 8400 has a higher screen resolution, takes SD/SDHC cards, has advanced app mode along with the removable face plate.

The cheapest (and I'm still looking) I see the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH is online at limstock dot com for under $400 which is cheaper than the beatsonic head unit and cables. Although I'm still paying for the Pirelli tires I just bought, I may hop on this unit because the price is really good. Cheaper than ebay.
Old 05-26-12, 12:54 AM
JForce
Rookie

Well the reason I picked the 3400 was because it has a usb port in the front, and the 4400/8400 are in the back and I do not want to run cables out from somewhere. Also how can you just buy the pioneer unit instead and not the beatsonic kit? You need the beatsonic kit (or something like it) in order to fit the pioneer in your car... (assuming you have a 2nd gen RX)
Old 05-26-12, 10:54 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

JForce what I meant was that the stereo was cheaper than the Beat Sonic kit. You will still need both for the 2nd Gen rx350. I called the website that posted the stereo and comes to find out it's some type of telemarketing company. So my search still continues. Oh well, I knew it was too good to be true.

Quick Reply: RX330 gets a DNX6960