RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 12:05 PM
Leoc2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!

Hi, i just recently bought a 2004 RX 330 with 93xxx miles on it. it was recently service and had the belts replaced. I just have a few basic questions to ask.

-What are (if any) Common problems and/or issues with this year?

-What are recommended maintenance and modifications i should look into for this car?

-What are some tips on improving the MPG?
I was thinking about a fuel system cleaner and replacing the air filter with a k&n possibly. Any recommendations ? Thanks
Old 06-01-11, 12:21 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the RX forum Leoc.

A common problem is condensation in the headlights, there's a fix somewhere on this forum for that. Also roof racks "sticking". A few other minor ones, and make sure your car has had the Oil Line recall issue addressed (if applicable), it could save your motor.

As for improving MPG, i've got a K&N Panel Filter.. no difference in economy, but don't mind the subtle change in induction sound.
Old 06-01-11, 06:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Leoc2004
Hi, i just recently bought a 2004 RX 330 with 93xxx miles on it. it was recently service and had the belts replaced. I just have a few basic questions to ask.

-What are (if any) Common problems and/or issues with this year?

-What are recommended maintenance and modifications i should look into for this car?

-What are some tips on improving the MPG?
I was thinking about a fuel system cleaner and replacing the air filter with a k&n possibly. Any recommendations ? Thanks
You should consider registering the vehicle in the Lexus.com owners site where you should be able to see the vehicle's past service records the service was done at a Lexus dealership. You can also request an owners manual if your vehicle doesn't have it.

Here is a source for the Service bulletins. Read through them and see if you are experiencing any of them.
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2004/Lexus/RX+330

You might also check with a Lexus dealer to see if any recall has not been performed.
http://www.AboutAutomobile.com/Recall/2004/Lexus/RX+330

If you had your vehicle's 90k service done at the dealer you should have a pretty good idea of the condition of any wear items. This 90k service is a costly one but all but warranty service can be done at a Toyota dealership for much less money.

Searching in this forum will reveal lots of interesting and valuable info on the RX.

You will also find several references on how to re-initialize a few things like the auto hatch, rear lift-gate, windows, etc. When your battery gets weak these will act sporadically.

I have an 04 RX330 AWD and have averaged 23 mpg over the life of the vehicle so far. I do 80% freeway driving where I routinely get 25-28 mpg. I also burn premium for the added 1.5 mpg it yields on the freeway. I also am fortunate to have access to real (not ethanol diluted) gasoline near my home which adds another 1-2 mpg to my mileage.

Welcome to the RX330 family. I think you will find this forum very friendly and informative.
Old 06-01-11, 04:48 PM
Leoc2004
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the tips.
Old 06-01-11, 04:58 PM
Leoc2004
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Howiefied
Welncome to the RX forum Leoc.

A common problem is condensation in the headlights, there's a fix somewhere on this forum for that. Also roof racks "sticking". A few other minor ones, and make sure your car has had the Oil Line recall issue addressed (if applicable), it could save your motor.

As for improving MPG, i've got a K&N Panel Filter.. no difference in economy, but don't mind the subtle change in induction sound.
Yes I already experienced that issue and solved it by just taking the light bulb out and letting it dry out
Old 06-01-11, 05:03 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should register at the Lexus Owner's website. The complete Lexus service history of your vehicle will be there. Any warranty work will also be listed.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 06-01-11, 05:21 PM
Rainbird

K & N Filters are not recommended for the Lexus. The oil applied to the filter can trigger a "Check Engine Light".
Old 06-01-11, 06:44 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Who says K&N Filters are not recommended for the Lexus? I asked the opinion of a Toyota Master Tech and his advice was that it was fine so long as you don't overoil the filter, and the design of the AFM on the 2GR-FE was that unlike Nissans it doesn't run a single strand element and measures actual flow across the AFM so it was unlikely to pose any issues.
Old 06-01-11, 07:27 PM
Rainbird

It's my understanding that the K&N Filter will come pre-oiled which is fine. The problems occur later when the customer cleans and mistakenly over oils the filter. It can cause sensor failure and trigger a CEL light.
Old 06-01-11, 08:24 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

That's correct. Just means you've got to take care when re-oiling the filter. Also what people on other sites have recommended is having a stock paper filter to drive around in for a day or so while your K&N Filter is being re-oiled. I don't think there's anything specifically about K&N Filters and Lexus/Toyota vehicles, over-oiling can affect any car with an AFM.
Old 06-02-11, 05:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I will tell you from experience, I had the issue with the K&N filter oil getting on to my MAF and throwing a P0171 CEL. That doesn't mean that K&N is a bad filter...far from it. I use their air and oil filters whenever possible.

What I did was clean the oil off the filter and reoil the side facing the airflow.

That issue can crop of with any brand of air filter that uses oil, but it is simple to fix.
Old 06-02-11, 05:36 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Yeah totally correct.. ^^ Nothing isopropyl alcohol can't fix.

I'm used to using stainless steel filters (blitz) in my previous cars, they're foolproof but seriously do nothing for performance over a standard paper filter. Foam one's (like HKS) have their own pitfalls as well, like breaking up and clogging up the MAF when they're tired.
Old 06-02-11, 09:03 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased K&N oil filters from amazon.com, and this is 3rd filter change without any trouble. Drives great.
Old 06-02-11, 06:50 PM
Leoc2004
Driver School Candidate

So i shouldn't use K&N oil or air filters?
Old 06-02-11, 06:55 PM
Leoc2004
Driver School Candidate

I also have another question... I am rejoining the military next week and have to go through some training for 2 months... What are some recommended steps for the proper storage of the vehicle? I am storing it in a self storage garage unit. I already have the staybil for the gas and the car cover just in case.

Quick Reply: Newbie!