RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 07:26 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not what have I done, but have I bought for my RX today . Being from Japan it apparently is going to take 6 - 10 weeks to get here (Perth, Western Australia) before I can install it to my RX. Note I will have the stock grill still.

Old 07-11-14, 07:32 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Not what have I done, but have I bought for my RX today . Being from Japan it apparently is going to take 6 - 10 weeks to get here (Perth, Western Australia) before I can install it to my RX. Note I will have the stock grill still.

Look forward to pics!
Old 07-12-14, 06:50 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plasti dipped the chrome "frame" on my stock RX400h grill a couple of years ago and decided to try and make it look a little more aggressive by spraying more plati dip and glossifier.

The plasti dip was applied all the way to the bottom of the grill, but the top of the front bumper cover still peeks through, making it look like there's a gap.

I also plast dipped the Lexus "L" with black, then some coats of Pearlizer and Glossifier, but it's hard to tell in the photos, as it reflects light in a similar way as the chrome.

BTW:, the "after" picture also shows the new lip I purchased for the RX400h, which still needs some fine tuning/sanding to get it to fit a little better. I got it from that super popular bidding site.
Attached Thumbnails The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-img_3313.jpg  
Old 07-13-14, 07:16 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Chuckbass that looks (sorry for the teeny slang) sick!!!!!
Old 07-13-14, 12:56 PM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha! Thanks, Draco!
Old 07-15-14, 02:44 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbass
I plasti dipped the chrome "frame" on my stock RX400h grill a couple of years ago and decided to try and make it look a little more aggressive by spraying more plati dip and glossifier.

The plasti dip was applied all the way to the bottom of the grill, but the top of the front bumper cover still peeks through, making it look like there's a gap.

I also plast dipped the Lexus "L" with black, then some coats of Pearlizer and Glossifier, but it's hard to tell in the photos, as it reflects light in a similar way as the chrome.

BTW:, the "after" picture also shows the new lip I purchased for the RX400h, which still needs some fine tuning/sanding to get it to fit a little better. I got it from that super popular bidding site.
Loves it! Need more info on what you did to the lights there! Love the black!
Old 07-15-14, 04:41 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330iPad
Loves it! Need more info on what you did to the lights there! Love the black!
I know chuckbass mentioned that he simply just did the bake and remove. While it's something that I would love to do (and really must do), I am concerned personally about melting my headlights.

I know that others have tried it with a heat gun and slowly popped them this way. I am half-tempted to just buy another 2nd/3rd hand single assembly and practise on it before touching my headlights.
Old 07-20-14, 10:30 AM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgghh!

What have I done to my RX today? Same thing I've done every day for the past 7 weeks. Waited for it to get out of the shop. Which won't happen until they find and extremely difficult to trace electrical problem that is shutting down my injectors.
Old 07-20-14, 12:57 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KonkBob
What have I done to my RX today? Same thing I've done every day for the past 7 weeks. Waited for it to get out of the shop. Which won't happen until they find and extremely difficult to trace electrical problem that is shutting down my injectors.
Ouch, has the car ever been in an accident?
Old 07-21-14, 04:24 AM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

I bought it with 72k miles. The hood and grille are a touch out of alignment which leads me to believe that it had a minor accident before I bought it. Problems started at about 85k miles.
Old 07-21-14, 09:44 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KonkBob
I bought it with 72k miles. The hood and grille are a touch out of alignment which leads me to believe that it had a minor accident before I bought it. Problems started at about 85k miles.
Lexus rarely have random electrical issues like that. A mystery short on a Lincoln is what drove me to Lexus in the first place. Do they think it's a physical issue or ECU or what?
Old 07-24-14, 03:34 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

So I have decided to scrap my signal mirror project. The first set I bought had the puddle light and the turn signal, but one of the signals has a leak in it and I have never been good at resealing a light without it looking bad...so I ordered a second set. These ones are very nice and are great quality, I had to do a few modifications to make them fit the US mirrors but they worked...The only thing I really hated is how big they are. They have a bunch of extra room to house a camera for the curb on the Japanese models. I think they make the car look funny. So now I went back to the factory mirrors...Added a puddle light first though.

I am going to post the two sets of signal mirrors on ebay...But if someone wants to strike a deal on here for them, let me know.

Factory mirror cap with puddle light added.

Old 07-24-14, 03:43 PM
KonkBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Lexus rarely have random electrical issues like that. A mystery short on a Lincoln is what drove me to Lexus in the first place. Do they think it's a physical issue or ECU or what?
I couldn't even list all the possibilities he has examined. He has physically examined the wiring as much as possible. He is going to check all the injectors and replace any that are off by as little as 2 ohms. He said one bad one can throw off the ECU.
Old 07-24-14, 04:38 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jakenbake
So now I went back to the factory mirrors...Added a puddle light first though.

Factory mirror cap with puddle light added.
So what does one need to do to do such a mod? Kinda pointless for us RX owners here in Australia to have turn signal coverts as we have a turn signal indicator in the front quarter panel anyway. However a puddle light on the stock mirrors would be great. Jakenbake and details / how to's etc?.
Old 07-24-14, 09:30 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you already have the turn signal in the fender, I wouldn't buy the mirror caps.

But for the puddle light in the non-signal mirror, I just bought an LED module from superbrightleds.com and drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the mirror housing (next to the drain hole). I used a little JB Weld to hold the light in place. Ran the wiring through the door and connected it to the door sill for power.

Last edited by jakenbake; 07-24-14 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)