RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 04:35 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Did you do your puddle lights?
Not yet. I am still waiting for USPS to deliver my LED's to Australia. Hopefully I will get them soon.
Old 08-10-14, 06:09 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha...I plan on moving to NYC next year. I am leaving Portland in October to finish school in Phoenix and then plan to head East.
Old 08-14-14, 10:40 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Got my little LED's for my puddle light install a couple of days ago. Will attempt to install them this weekend. Just have to go and buy a step drill bit and some cabling to run to the scuff plate connection. I am also considering adding in a kill switch for them but that will be done later.
Old 08-15-14, 06:07 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
Got my little LED's for my puddle light install a couple of days ago. Will attempt to install them this weekend. Just have to go and buy a step drill bit and some cabling to run to the scuff plate connection. I am also considering adding in a kill switch for them but that will be done later.
My puddle light kit came with drill bit kit. It will hook to door lamps on the door panel.
Old 08-15-14, 08:54 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

You won't want to hook it up to the lamp in the door panel. That light only comes on when the door is open. That would defeat the purpose of installing the light in the mirror. If you hook it up to the door sill lamp, it will come on when you unlock the car so that you have light as you walk up to the car or as you walk away from the car.
Old 08-15-14, 09:31 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my fender liners and lower engine cover today! What a pain that was!
Old 08-15-14, 05:29 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I want opinions.

So for the last year I have been driving around with no roof rack and it looks good....but I kinda want a roof rack again because it makes the car look taller and more SUVish.

So I have four options. No roof rack, black roof rack, partially chrome roof rack, and full chrome roof rack. Which are your favorites?

PS...The chrome looks janky because it is actually tin foil. I thought it would help me get a better idea of how the chrome would look.

Old 08-15-14, 08:00 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

All those ideas have popped into my head, and up to this point wasn't sure which would work. Nice designs there. I particularly like the chrome in the center with black ends (picture 2). For me though I would likely be painting same silver as my car. I too had the roof racks off my car last RX but haven't bothered with my current one.
Old 08-15-14, 08:55 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Well I am impatient and didn't wait for opinions. I drove around a bit and looked at other cars as I drove...I would have like to go with the chrome in the center also, but the end caps are so big that I thought it looked a little funny. So I went with the full chrome. I bought the chrome paint from DupliColor and started painting but it is not chrome. It came out a matte finish. They look like the roof rails on the 2010-2014 RXs. I am not sure if the look of chrome (door handles, grille, etc) mixed with the matte will look good. But the new RXs are like that and they pull it off well. Anyway...They are in the garage drying and I will have some pics of them installed tomorrow.
Old 08-16-14, 08:36 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Status update on the puddle lights. Managed to get an LED into the driver's side mirror after about 2 hours of figuring out what needed to be pulled out and where (it is almost a full tear down of the wing mirror). One thing that I encountered (and I forgot about) given that are cars in Australia are Japanese built and come with power opening / closing for the mirrors is the motor in the mirror. Took me about an hour to try and figure out the best wiring part of the puddle light so that it (1) didn't obscure anything and (2) basically kept everything else in place where it was. Anyway, the liquid nails I used (ran out of JB-Weld / Araldite ) is drying and should keep the led in place. Mine is slightly higher as I couldn't go 22mm and went to 20mm instead. This allows it to sit a little higher and the dome of the LED can't be seen at all. I have yet to do a full wire and see the output but hope to get some more pictures tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the tackling of routing the wire from the door to the interior and then hooking it up & also doing the passenger mirror (should take me significantly less time know that I know what to do and in what order). I will also take some pictures of the whole process and write it up in a seperate (linked) thread.

Old 08-16-14, 09:52 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Hey Draco...Before you completely assemble the mirror back together, put the glass in and make sure it can tilt down without hitting the LED. I had to have mine positioned just a little bit down so that the mirror could move. I also took off the 3M backing on the LEDs to give me a few extra millimeters. But you may be fine since your mirrors are a little different than ours.

An update on my roof rack...I moved them before they were dry enough and messed up the paint. I have to sand them down and start the painting over. So I won't have pics until tomorrow. :-/
Old 08-16-14, 05:56 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jakenbake
Hey Draco...Before you completely assemble the mirror back together, put the glass in and make sure it can tilt down without hitting the LED. I had to have mine positioned just a little bit down so that the mirror could move. But you may be fine since your mirrors are a little different than ours.
Too late now as it's all assembled. I have yet to test it out fully, but I have the LED at the left most point (on the right mirror side) that I can have it, so it's about as far in and out of the way as I can get it. Will provide an update a little later.
Old 08-17-14, 06:14 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Puddle lights installed. Wrote a full thread at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ration-rx.html.

Old 08-17-14, 10:02 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

They look great Draco! Gonna go read your thread now.
Old 08-29-14, 08:16 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I finally bought a new iPod interface for my car (since the old one was defective). I bought the Vaistech SL3B and it seems pretty awesome so far. It only connects through bluetooth which is nice because it is easier to listen to and control iTunes radio and Pandora. The sound quality is fantastic and my favorite feature is that it automatically gets rid of the "I Agree" screen on the navigation.

Quick Reply: The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)