RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 gets a Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 05:39 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RX330 gets a Magnaflow

As some of you have noticed, the electronic throttle can be a bit slow to respond and in an attempt to alleviate the problem I installed a Magnaflow 14829 today. It seems to have improved the response by about 50%. I no longer have that sensation of pressing on the gas for a inch before the car takes off. it truly feels much quicker.

My regular installer chose to miss our appointment so I wandered across the street to Midas to get it done. I'm glad I did, those guys were very professional. Instead of cutting the old muff off and welding the new one on they removed the flange and old muff measured and welded the flange to the Magnaflow. What a concept!

There is not much room on the 330 compared to the 300 because of the spare tire. They had to cut and shorten the forward hanger to move the wider Magnaflow over to keep it off the spare. They had to remove the tow hook on that side to get extra room.

Where my old installer simply welded steel hangers to my new muffler Carlos went to the trouble to manufacture new hangers with rubber donuts and mount them on top to keep them out of sight.

If you Dallas guys need any quality exhaust installs I can recommend Midas at NW HiWy and Abrams just East of Keller's hamburgers, Home of the No. 5 Special!

Some pics...

In this vid I am getting on the freeway so I was having to dodge traffic which is why it isn't a straight run up to 70. As you can hear the sound is pretty much stock, just a bit throatier and doesn't get angry until about 4k. It's very muted in the cabin.

http://youtu.be/sAuuEmPHzKg

I don't know why I can't imbed the vid here!

On the 300 the muffler is after the axle and the resonator is after the cat, on the 330 that is reversed so I basically replaced the resonator with the flow through Magnaflow. Exhaust moves faster so there is an improvement but I could still make easy improvements on the exhaust system.

I got what I wanted which was improved throttle response but I know myself and I can see that the itch will be back.
Old 05-12-11, 05:48 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the flowmaster myself and I definitely believe it helps. The sound doesn't doesn't hurt either

If interested I have a Secret weapon air intake that would go perfectly with your new exhaust
Old 05-12-11, 05:50 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah sounds good and I am really glad to read about the performance improvement. I would really like to see a vid of it parked at start up as well. Rev it a bit? Also how much did it end up costing for the install? Thanks I have the Weapon R intake already
Old 05-12-11, 05:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There you go again, Carver. Just when you think there's nothing else left to do to make an improvement you not only find it but do it as well

Sounds nice. I'm sure driving will be incredibly more enjoyable now. Too bad you can't see that beauty while you're driving. And I know what you had for lunch today
Old 05-12-11, 06:18 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Keller's is a famous Dallas dive that's been around for 40 years. It's one of the last of the drive-ins with actual carhops. Some of those carhops have been there the whole time. Longnecks and burgers are their claim to fame. There's a big cop store right down the street so it isn't unusual to be sitting next to a cop car while swilling your beer. Only in Texas!

Friday nights all the car freaks come out to play, drink beer, tell lies and cruise like it was 1955! The burgers are good but I always get the BLT, one of the best anywhere!
Old 05-12-11, 06:20 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by infinirx
Also how much did it end up costing for the install? Thanks I have the Weapon R intake already
60 bucks. it was a great deal because they had to do so much custom work.
Old 05-12-11, 06:24 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

all you need is a high performance spark plugs and a air intake then you are all set.

I have a set of torquemaster spark plugs and they definitely help too!
Old 05-13-11, 12:00 PM
jmonkie76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know how much better mpg on average you'll get, if any?
Old 05-13-11, 06:24 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

You gonna give us an outside start up vid ? Pretty please
Old 05-13-11, 06:34 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmonkie76
I'd like to know how much better mpg on average you'll get, if any?
I am getting around 1-2 miles per gallon better with my flowmaster and torque spark plugs
Old 05-13-11, 07:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

If only the RX had dual exhaust..
Old 05-13-11, 09:02 PM
J954sho
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
If only the RX had dual exhaust..

Like this?

Old 05-13-11, 10:28 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG!! the lights, the rims, the tints, the roof rack....OMG!!! oh yeah, THE EXHAUSTS!!!
Old 05-13-11, 10:29 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by infinirx
You gonna give us an outside start up vid ? Pretty please
I'll try to do one this weekend but is isn't very loud until about 4k. Maybe I should duck tape the iPhone to the bumper and do a floorboard 0-90, that might be more enlightening.
Old 05-13-11, 10:54 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
I'll try to do one this weekend but is isn't very loud until about 4k. Maybe I should duck tape the iPhone to the bumper and do a floorboard 0-90, that might be more enlightening.
lol it's not about loudness. I show my car ate "shows" lol! So I wanna know what they are going to hear at start up cause people listen to that stuff trust me. I had a guy purchase a Tanabe exhaust based on a start up and 5mph pass buy. Just a 15 second one like they are doing in the other vids but diff. cars lol! There are allot of variations due to the piping. I can't trust the others vids.

Quick Reply: RX330 gets a Magnaflow