RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

To move or not to move- from gas to Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 10:12 AM
1111art
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To move or not to move- from gas to Hybrid

I'm about ready to take the plunge, and would love some input from anyone who's made the move from a gas RX to a hybrid. Differences/pluses/minuses.

I'm sticking with the 2nd generation body style, looks better to me.

If anyone knows if the hybrids need the towing prep package to put a hitch on, I'd appreciate it.

One more thing, are the rain sensing wipers part of the car or are they part of a package, like on the gas versions?

1111art
Old 05-03-11, 10:37 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my window sticker rain sensing wipers were a 125 option. My 05 330 has the premium package but listed separately are the wipers, heavy duty rad, trans cooler and alternator, 160, 18" wheels, 215, 6cd changer, 500 and locking lugs.

So, at one point the wipers could be had as a separate option.
Old 05-03-11, 11:50 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111art
I'm about ready to take the plunge, and would love some input from anyone who's made the move from a gas RX to a hybrid. Differences/pluses/minuses.

I'm sticking with the 2nd generation body style, looks better to me.

If anyone knows if the hybrids need the towing prep package to put a hitch on, I'd appreciate it.

One more thing, are the rain sensing wipers part of the car or are they part of a package, like on the gas versions?

1111art
I switched from 330 to 400h. Same car, but more power and better gas mileage. Another thing I like is the CVT transm (you do not feel shift points).
I do dislike the electric steering. A little too sensitive for me. But overall, I do not regret my decision.
Old 05-03-11, 01:20 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

price difference - unless you drive A LOT of miles, otherwise you could not make the break even point....

in terms of being environmentally - worth to get a hybrid.....
Old 05-03-11, 09:05 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I drove a 99 RX300 since November of 1998 to this year, and I will tell you the RX400h is nothing but neater...The rain sense wipers are part of a premium package. At least on the 2008. The steering is lighter, but I like it. The ride is extremely smooth and we have the 18 inch wheels...which are a option. I really cant find anything I dont like. The fuel economy goes up from 16 to 18 to 23.9 in the 400h...That is substantial. The 99RX only had a 17.5 gallon tank as this car does but the range greater because of the fuel economy. The Navigation is awlsome. The Mark Levinson Stereo is fantastic. I loved our old RX, but this one is light years better. hope it gives me 13 years of driving. Also buying used you dont have to break even, you just get a better price. We payed $24k for ours with 88kmiles, and yes I know the timing belt is due, but big deal..Can be done for $600 at Toyota and you are good to go for another 100k miles..Good luck
Old 05-04-11, 06:40 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck on your decision, guess it really is going to come down to where your mileage is. If it's around the metro area and doing frequent stops and such, then yeah the hybrid would be better. If you're doing long country roads there's no real difference between the petrol and hybrid.

One thing I have noticed between Australia and US cars is the number of options you guys have to go through to get the stuff that we get in 1 of 2 "models". The options list here for the RX330's and 350's were very very minor.
Old 05-04-11, 06:57 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW we just bought a 2009 350 and looked seriously at an H model, but couldn't justify the extra expense (and cost of replacing the batteries eventually if we kept it). Driving the 350 1000 miles back from FL, it was getting 25-26mpg. The H might be nice for some however, and especially well suited if you drive a lot of city miles.

The car we bought had 22K miles with Nav, rain wipers, heated sets, HID, 18" wheels, Bluetooth etc. - we paid $29k.
Old 05-05-11, 11:25 AM
1111art
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comment/opinions. I still haven't driven one, I've read that CVT and jerky brakes take some getting used to.

Anybody know if the 'Tow Prep Package' comes on all models by 2008?

1111art
Old 05-05-11, 11:57 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111art
Thanks for the comment/opinions. I still haven't driven one, I've read that CVT and jerky brakes take some getting used to.

Anybody know if the 'Tow Prep Package' comes on all models by 2008?

1111art
'
yOU CAN tell if it has tow prep by looking at front hood emblem. If it is open than it is supposedly got the package...apparently they were looking for maximum air flow...My 2008 has the tow prep as indicated by a open around the L in the lexus badge.
Old 05-06-11, 05:38 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomas1
'
yOU CAN tell if it has tow prep by looking at front hood emblem. If it is open than it is supposedly got the package...apparently they were looking for maximum air flow...My 2008 has the tow prep as indicated by a open around the L in the lexus badge.
So apparently then there is a "closed" version out there? (Meaning one flat solid oval with the L embedded onto it?)

All I see is empty space around and through my L inside the oval - indicating I should have the tow prep package? I have to assume this is likely accurate based on your level of activity in the forum... :-)

Wish there were a way to get the full build sheet/options list (or invoice) by using the VIN or something.
Old 05-06-11, 06:13 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Brake by wire" system? The first gen RXh doesn't have a brake booster as in a traditional vehicle, but the braking is still hydraulic. My guess is that the second generation is much the same, but maybe software improvements to do away with the grabby, jerky braking that is mentioned. On my 2006, by the way, I don't find the braking to be grabby or jerky at all.

For the tow package. Just have a look through the lower grill opening on the driver's side (the small rectangular opening directly in front of the wheel). If you see a small radiator in there it's the transmission cooler, and you have the tow package). IIRC, all the hybrids have the transmission cooler.
Old 05-06-11, 06:17 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Even if it comes with a tow prep package, you will need to install hitch....going back to op's original question
Old 05-07-11, 06:35 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
Brake by wire system is similar to the drive by wire system, no brake lines, its part of the VDIM package. Actually there is a hydraulic brake line for back up purpose. Brake by wire allow the brake pressure to vary to compensate for regenerative braking.
No, no, no. There is still a hydraulic braking system that is used for normal braking, not for back up purposes. Where the hybrid braking system is different is that there is no tradtional vacuum assisted power brake assist. In a normal vehicle, the brake pedal is depressed, power is boosted by the vacuum booster and the stroke of the brake pedal transfers to a pushrod connected to the master cylinder and DIRECTLY acts on the master cylinder creating pressure in the system that causes the calipers to move.

In the hybrid, when you step on the brake pedal, it's all electronic. There is a stroke sensor that senses the speed and amount of brake pedal depressed,and I'm sure there are other sensors involved as well. This information is used to activate the pumps that produce pressure in the system causing the calipers to squeeze the rotor. The brake pedal is not connected to a pushrod that is connected to the master cylinder. However, there is still a master cylinder and hydraulic lines to each caliper. The system still creates pressure in the hydraulic lines via the master cylinder - it just does so electronically rather than mechanically.
Old 05-07-11, 07:00 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love our 400h here, no regrets. CVT is great, power delivery is smooth cuz you dont feel any shifts. We get about 26MPG combined, which I think is great for an SUV.
Old 05-08-11, 12:00 PM
1111art
Driver School Candidate

See 'What a find!!' to find out what I ended up getting.

1111art

Quick Reply: To move or not to move- from gas to Hybrid