RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need help choosing between two used RX's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 06:18 PM
SHY724
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing between two used RX's

I'm looking into buying a used Lexus RX, and have two options within my price range. Please help me decide which to buy!

Option One:
2007 Lexus RX 350, White Exterior, Tan Interior, 59k miles, Entertainment Package, One previous owner

Option Two:
2007 Lexus RX 350, Blue Metallic Exterior, Light Grey Interior, 33K miles, Three previous owners (one of whom appears to be the current dealership)

I guess my question is this: should I go with the car with more mileage, one owner and the perk of the entertainment package, or the one with less mileage but multiple owners?
Old 04-29-11, 06:46 PM
ripster
Rookie

Which one has the CPO for 3 years and 100k, and then check on condition of everything on the vehicle.
Old 04-29-11, 06:57 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Originally Posted by ripster
Which one has the CPO for 3 years and 100k, and then check on condition of everything on the vehicle.
Agreed............ Also, brakes and tires may need to be changed soon on the one with lower millage, whereas the one with higher miles may have fresh brakes and good tire tread.

Just something else to consider.

My advice is for a NON Certified Pre-Owned Lexus....... If it is CPO it has to have good tire tread as well as sufficient brakes to qualify for CPO status.
Old 04-29-11, 07:24 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder why the blue one has had 3 different owners? Possible lemon?
Old 04-29-11, 07:53 PM
Haunches
Rookie

I wouldn't count the dealer as an owner. So 2 for the blue one.
Old 04-29-11, 08:01 PM
SHY724
Driver School Candidate

Neither vehicle is CPO. Per the Carfax report, the white one had the brakes and tires checked at 57k. I already test drove the blue one and really liked it. I didnt notice any problems, but am concerned about the multiple owners. The last two owners had the car for only two months or less. However, I'm also concerned about buying the white one with nearly 60k on it. Does anyone see that as a big drawback?
Old 04-29-11, 08:42 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are the prices of the 2 cars? That might be another factor to consider.
Do either of the cars have full service records? What is the next upcoming service and cost of that service?
Old 04-30-11, 02:42 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the blue one b/c it looks classier and cleaner than the white one. It is very common to have 2 owners on a low mileage luxury car due to lease and behind payments from previous owners so the dealer then repossesses it. However, be sure to ask a good lexus tech there for honest assessment of the vehicle.
Old 04-30-11, 06:02 AM
SHY724
Driver School Candidate

Nick, the dealer selling the blue one is a GMC dealer. He couldnt tell me why the previous owners got rid of the car, but alluded to the previous owner's inability to afford it.

My problem is that I actually like the look of the white one better. I've seen the earlier model blue ones, and dont think they age as well as white ones. (Strange, I know, but it's just my opinion). Plus, I feel more secure with the white one's vehicle history record. Actually, I would jump on it immediately if it weren't for the mileage.

Blue one is listed at $1k more than white one.
Old 04-30-11, 06:17 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

White RX's just have a very different "look" when compared to all the other colour RX's about. I would prefer a white one over all other colours. I'd be a bit worried about the 3 owners. Have you got full service history of the vehicle to see if there might be "something" wrong with the car. The white one looks better now, given that there is a mystery factor with the blue one. Makes me very nervous when there is an air of mystery about a car..............
Old 04-30-11, 06:43 AM
SHY724
Driver School Candidate

Draco, that's the way I'm feeling too.

We're off to test drive the white one and have another appointment to see the blue one this afternoon.

Thanks for all your replies. I will let you know what we pick!
Old 04-30-11, 08:00 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahem, I vote white...

Current '05

Much lamented '01
Old 04-30-11, 08:10 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do you live? Any chance that a Lexus dealership is within reasonable driving distance? The reason I ask is, buying a RX with a CPO Warranty can give you peace of mind.
Old 04-30-11, 10:16 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is up to you to pick what you like most. 1k more for the 20K miles less is a steal if the 2 prior owners were indeed making payments.(you can bring your own car mechanic to the GMC dealer to test drive it) One way to find out records is to order your CARFAX/AutoCheck and look at those inspections and title transfers and registration dates. In addition, you can go on lexus.com and register that VIN # to see if all the maintenance history were serviced regularly by the dealers. Most RX owners with new Lexus tend to baby them when they first bought them within 50k mile.
Judging from the model '07, I doubt that you will be running into troubles with this SUV because it is one of the most reliable SUV's out there. I have a '06 Silver metallic and take it everywhere across states with nothing done to it, other than basic fluids and filters change over the past 5 years.
The reason I am not too enthusiastic for the white RX is primarily because of the color. Having owned 2 white cars over the past 10 years, I was just bothered by how the color can easily pick up dirt and its bland look. Not being sexist, but the white ones are more subtle to be driven by women drivers IMHO.
At the end of the day, I would definitely get a CPO vehicle though because of the peace of mind factor. If I am you, I would not rush into buying it right away as Lexus dealers have any of these models and colors when you let them know what you want. You certainly can negotiate with them for the best price.

Last edited by Nick318; 04-30-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-30-11, 11:04 AM
DrChgo
Driver School Candidate

I bought a White 05 with 69K mileage last year. I live in Florida. Dealer didn't tell me it was AWD but I don't care except for mileage and reparis if needed. Very pleased.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing between two used RX's