RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

trailer hitch lexus PT228-48045 = toyota PT228-69045

Old 04-30-13, 07:00 AM
woodenboat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer hitch

The company is Toyota Part Source. Their website is partswebsite.com. The hitch was $236.50 and shipping via UPS was $22.00. It came with the wiring harness- pleasant surprise. Good luck
woodenboat
Old 05-02-13, 08:03 AM
ShermanRob
Driver School Candidate

I just purchases the Toyota trailer hitch pt228-69045 at MyToyotaPartsStore.com for $206.00 + $26 shipping for my 2008 RX350. This was the cheapest I was able to find! It is directly from a Toyota dealership in CA. It supposedly comes with the wiring harness, but will need to wait and see. Happy Hunting!!
Old 05-07-13, 05:57 PM
Happycoop
Driver School Candidate

Default Can't find it on that site

Originally Posted by ShermanRob
I just purchases the Toyota trailer hitch pt228-69045 at MyToyotaPartsStore.com for $206.00 + $26 shipping for my 2008 RX350. This was the cheapest I was able to find! It is directly from a Toyota dealership in CA. It supposedly comes with the wiring harness, but will need to wait and see. Happy Hunting!!
Thanks! Took me a minute to realize that I needed to go to the TRD portion, but I found it and ordered it. Great price!

Last edited by Happycoop; 05-07-13 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Found the part
Old 05-13-13, 05:20 AM
ShermanRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShermanRob

Update: I received the hitch a few days ago and it does come with the wiring and a Toyota hitch plug, which I have replaced with an oem Lexus plug from eBay for $10. It does not come with the ball or ball mount, but that's fine since I really only want it for my bike rack. Also, both Lexus and Toyota part numbers are stamped on the hitch, as others have pointed out. This really is a good deal at $206!!!
Old 05-20-13, 02:01 PM
Happycoop
Driver School Candidate

Received the hitch quickly from MyToyotaPartStore.com (thanks to ShermanRob for posting the link as this was the best price I could find). Install went great as per the excellent instructions on this thread. It was truly a breeze installing this (minus finding out once I removed all the inside rear panels that my wife's RX didn't come with the tow package pre-wired...but we bought the hitch for use with our bike rack anyway, so the wiring was just a pleasant bonus).

One thing to note...I opened the [large] main box, took everything out, then closed it and set the hitch on top of it. In this position, it slides perfectly right under the rear of the vehicle for mounting. In fact, if you place the smaller box (which contains the bolts and adaptor plates) underneath the driver's side of the hitch, it's the perfect level to start the star nut. If you haven't installed the hitch yet, once you read the instructions you'll understand what I am referencing. Entire install including threading the wiring up into the rear passenger compartment took about 30 minutes at a nice easy pace.
Old 05-21-13, 10:13 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't find part pt228-69045 from MyToyotaPartStore.com anymore. Can someone post the link to the item? Another question is about the wiring harness. If my 08 350 doesn't come with the tow package, is there a way for me to build the wiring harness?

Last edited by dcdyd; 05-21-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 04:22 AM
ShermanRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcdyd
I can't find part pt228-69045 from MyToyotaPartStore.com anymore. Can someone post the link to the item? Another question is about the wiring harness. If my 08 350 doesn't come with the tow package, is there a way for me to build the wiring harness?

YEAH, thats odd... Not sure why their site changed... Since it was linked to an actual Toyota dealership (Frontier Toyota @ (800)380-3350 and ask for extension 630 try giving them a call directly or email them at parts@frontiertoyota.com), I order the one for a 2007 Highlander based on what i read in this forum and it was a perfect fit! Took me about 40 min to install the hitch and about 40 for the wiring... Wasn't in a hurry and didn't want to screw-up anything. The hitch looks great on my 08 RX.
Old 05-27-13, 08:56 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I remember and you can search around this site and find the info If you don't have towing package you can only tow 2500 or 2700 lbs instead of 3500 with tow package, tow package has engine oil and trans cooler bigger alternator.

If no tow package As far as wiring you will still have the wiring to plug your hitch wiring into under the cargo area. the other end is unattached You will need to buy the trailer converter kit from toyota that feed the harness the trailer lighting and install the fuse for it in the fuse box.
Old 05-27-13, 09:26 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ShermanRob, Thanks for the response.

After comparing many posts, I decided to go with Curt 13530. I ordered it from Amazon.com and the price is $135 with free shipping. I also ordered some 4 pin mold wires for connection. I found that my 08 350 has the trans cooler under the hood at the driver side so I am sure that it has the tow pre package. By the way, I called Lexus 800 number ans given them my VIN number and they said that there is no information about my 08 359 in regarding to whether it has the tow package or not. We will see what happens once I open the rear compartment.

The reason I didn't go with the OEM hitch is because I usually don't pull anything. This time I need to pull a trail rent from U-haul and send my daughter to college which is 1000 miles from home. That is it. I have a 98 Explorer which has the hitch but U-haul doesn't allow Explorer owner to use their trailer. This is all of my story.

I will report later with what I found about the tow package.
Old 05-27-13, 01:24 PM
ShermanRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcdyd
ShermanRob, Thanks for the response.

After comparing many posts, I decided to go with Curt 13530. I ordered it from Amazon.com and the price is $135 with free shipping. I also ordered some 4 pin mold wires for connection. I found that my 08 350 has the trans cooler under the hood at the driver side so I am sure that it has the tow pre package. By the way, I called Lexus 800 number ans given them my VIN number and they said that there is no information about my 08 359 in regarding to whether it has the tow package or not. We will see what happens once I open the rear compartment.

The reason I didn't go with the OEM hitch is because I usually don't pull anything. This time I need to pull a trail rent from U-haul and send my daughter to college which is 1000 miles from home. That is it. I have a 98 Explorer which has the hitch but U-haul doesn't allow Explorer owner to use their trailer. This is all of my story.

I will report later with what I found about the tow package.

Glad to hear you found something that works for you and at a good price. BTW.... I found that the website URL is actually MyToyotaPartsStore.com in case others were interested, but their prices have now increased to $220, still not a bad deal. I personally opted for the oem hitch because of the design and the factory wiring harness. I found that the aftermarket versions were a bit too boxy for me around the exhaust, but it is a personal choice! Best of luck!! .
Old 09-12-13, 08:52 PM
fohryan
Driver School Candidate

It is difficult to find the hitch by browsing to MyToyotaPartsStore.com, so here is the link directly the the in-stock, ready to purchase hitch. $220 + tax/shipping. Just received mine yesterday. Also, just registered on the forum here JUST to thank you all in this thread. You just saved me hundreds of dollars and I really appreciate it.

http://mytoyotapartsstore.com/partlo...catalogid=3408
Old 04-10-14, 02:17 PM
Jch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by woodenboat
The company is Toyota Part Source. Their website is partswebsite.com. The hitch was $236.50 and shipping via UPS was $22.00. It came with the wiring harness- pleasant surprise. Good luck
woodenboat
Just got mine from this source and installed it. Quick delivery and great fit.
Old 05-20-14, 08:29 AM
totoquin
Driver School Candidate

Jch, can you please share some
pictures of your hitch installed?
thank you.
Old 08-03-15, 08:03 PM
checkerj
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the tow package option on your RX330 and ever wondered if a cheaper wiring harness existed other than the Lexus/Toyota pre-made harness, here's a link that might help:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9137155
Old 02-10-18, 09:26 AM
McCoysMom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mottrx400H
Thanks for the info. I have been trying to confirm that both hitches, toyota and Lexus, would fit my 2008 400H. no one I spoke to at either dealerships could confirm it.

I would like to see what the finished products looks like on the vehicle. Can you post some pictures online?

i really appreciate your help.

From looking over the web, I have found this hitch to fit these vehicles:
This Product Fits The Following Vehicles

2004 - 2005 Toyota Highlander
2004 - 2006 Lexus RX330
2007 - 2009 Lexus RX350
2006 - 2007 Toyota Highlander All Models, except Hybrid
2006 - 2008 Lexus RX400h Hybrid
2006 - 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Models

I hope this helps.
thank you I have a 2006 rx400h and wanted to make sure it also would fit mine. Now to not pay an arm and a leg....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer hitch lexus PT228-48045 = toyota PT228-69045