RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

passenger side mirror tinted?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 09:48 PM
illestRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger side mirror tinted?

i just picked up my first very own lexus rx330 and i really love that car but i have a problem with the passenger side mirror. its tinted and i cant seem to un tint it. the driver side is fine but i looked all over in the manual and internet and nothing. im wondering if i should just bring it in to lexus and see what they say but i rather save money and see if its something that i can fix!

if anybody can help me out that would be great. thanks!
The following users liked this post:
1stGenLexs (02-20-17)
Old 04-07-11, 12:12 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Add on tint has nothing to do with Lexus. Some dealers do offer tinting by a third party and people mistakenly think of it as Lexus option.

Look carefully as the tint shop leave their logo (shop name and number). Roll down the glass part ways and you will expose the edge of the film.

I took off the tint from my mother-in-laws car. There are sprays available at car-part stores. The process is similar to taking down a wallpaper. Most of the effort is in removing the glue-like sticky stuff. Caution ,,, the door panel does get wet, so make sure the solution is safe or remove the panel.

Salim

Edit .. my bad .. OP is talking about the mirror and not the window/glass. May be a problem with auto-dim not disabling or setting of the mirror.

Last edited by salimshah; 04-07-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-07-11, 03:27 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by illestRX
i just picked up my first very own lexus rx330 and i really love that car but i have a problem with the passenger side mirror. its tinted and i cant seem to un tint it. the driver side is fine but i looked all over in the manual and internet and nothing. im wondering if i should just bring it in to lexus and see what they say but i rather save money and see if its something that i can fix!

if anybody can help me out that would be great. thanks!
There is no tint on your mirror. My passenger side mirror and also a friend of mine has changed from clear to a bronze looking color. I think the only option you have is to get a new mirror, or if available, a new glass. We both own 2004 RX units. Let us know how you fix it and the cost.
Old 04-07-11, 03:29 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

could it be the auto dimming mirror?
Old 04-07-11, 03:36 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
could it be the auto dimming mirror?
That's what I was thinking, too.
Old 04-07-11, 04:57 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, sounds like the auto dimming feature might be FUBAR. Does your rear view mirror and driver's side view mirror dim at night when another vehicle's headlight shines from behind at night? Maybe try shutting the auto dimming feature off at the mirror and see if it makes any difference.
Old 04-07-11, 06:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Rear view mirror and side mirrors contain light sensitive components that autonatically dim.

One member broke one of his side mirrors and it contained some kind of liquid.
Old 04-07-11, 07:42 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket auto-dimm side mirror is not so expensive. It is around $135 from eBay. I purchased it for my 08 350 when someone destrotyed my driver side mirror by either press it from top and hang on it from the bottom. So the plastic parts that holds the screw inside the mirror is totally broken.

Sorry I am not hi-jacking the thread. I am just trying to tell that it is possible you can replace the mirror if you choose to. Dealer changes $800 for that.
Old 04-07-11, 09:34 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

First .. I goofed (see my edit). It never occurred to me to read the post literally (in my native language words for mirror and glass are interchangeable). And who tints the glass?

I would suggest try adjusting the rear-view mirror by going to up and down -extreme position. There is a very good chance that the mirror is not adjusted for the day.

Then see at nigh-time the mirror would auto dim.

Salim.
Old 04-07-11, 02:03 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The side view (outside) mirrors don't have anything in them to sense light from behind. They are linked to the rear view mirror (inside) which has the sensors. If the rear view auto dimming mirror - 1. front sensor senses that it's dark out and 2. rear sensor (the one you can see under the mirror beside the green light etc.) senses light from behind, then it will dim the rear view and the side view mirrors.
Old 04-10-11, 01:18 AM
illestRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcy
Yeah, sounds like the auto dimming feature might be FUBAR. Does your rear view mirror and driver's side view mirror dim at night when another vehicle's headlight shines from behind at night? Maybe try shutting the auto dimming feature off at the mirror and see if it makes any difference.
yah bro my mirror dont dim when light shines on it. im not to sure how to shut off the auto dimming feature. but i dont understand why the side view and rear view mirror is clear but the passenger side is tinted and i dont think its like the film tint either
Old 02-26-13, 06:21 PM
SonomaGary
Driver School Candidate

Wink A NorCal solution

So much mis-direction. Let me try to help here. My 2004 RX330 has a line across it about an inch from the top with the bottom part bronze tinted image. The top one inch is standard mirror image. To clarify, I'm talking about the passenger side rear view mirror, not the mirror on the windshield inside above the dash board. My local dealer quoted $375 for the mirror glass replacement plus labor. I'm told the tinting is caused by an electrical connection hooked up the the defrost button on the dash. It activates a chemical in the mirror backing that heats up and defrosts it. Occasionally the chemical envelope on the back of the mirror ruptures and the tinting line developes. Try pushing on the separation line of tint and none tint and you will see the line move because its liquid based. I looked at a replacement mirror. It has an electrical wire attached and a connector at the end of it. Apparently you pry the top of the defective/broken mirror at the top and pull it back toward the rear of the vehicle. Once it pops out at the top, you life it up off the two hinged holders on the mirror mounting bracket inside the mirror housing. Then unplug it. Install the replacement in the reverse order. I can't see paying the amount the dealer wants at that "Too damned proud" price. I'm contacting Lexus auto salvagers for a working replacement. You have to be careful of Internet offers around $20. Those are only standard mirrors cut to fit and won't have the electrical connection to enable defrosting. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
1stGenLexs (02-20-17)
Old 02-26-13, 06:29 PM
SonomaGary
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=SonomaGary;7789875]So much mis-direction. Let me try to help here. My 2004 RX330 has a line across it about an inch from the top with the bottom part bronze tinted image. The top one inch is standard mirror image. To clarify, I'm talking about the passenger side rear view mirror, not the mirror on the windshield inside above the dash board. My local dealer quoted $375 for the mirror glass replacement plus labor. I'm told the tinting is caused by an electrical connection hooked up the the defrost button on the dash. It activates a chemical in the mirror backing that heats up and defrosts it. Occasionally the chemical envelope on the back of the mirror ruptures and the tinting line developes. Try pushing on the separation line of tint and none tint and you will see the line move because its liquid based. I looked at a replacement mirror. It has an electrical wire attached and a connector at the end of it. Apparently you pry the top of the defective/broken mirror at the top and pull it back toward the rear of the vehicle. Once it pops out at the top, you life it up off the two hinged holders on the mirror mounting bracket inside the mirror housing. Then unplug it. Install the replacement in the reverse order. I can't see paying the amount the dealer wants at that "Too damned proud" price. I'm contacting Lexus auto salvagers for a working replacement. You have to be careful of Internet offers around $20. Those are only standard mirrors cut to fit and won't have the electrical connection to enable defrosting. Good luck.[/THINGS OF QUALITY HAVE NO FEAR OF TIME]
Old 02-27-13, 09:35 AM
katzjamr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be careful not to break the mirror, that 'liquid' inside is acid and will eat through any clearcoat it comes in contact with.
Old 02-27-13, 10:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Listen to the above^^^ the liquid inside the chromatic mirror will eat up the paint. Heard so many horror stories, be careful.