RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Michelin not Recommend Latitude Touring for RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 11:06 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin not Recommend Latitude Touring for RX350

At 37K miles I need to replace the Michelin Energy MXV4 235/55R18 tires on my 2009 RX350. Although these have been good tires I never felt they are as good as the Michelin Cross Terrain SUVs I had on my previous RX300. Therefore, I intended to replace the MXV4s with Michelin Latitude Touring tires as they appear to be the replacement for the truly excellent but no longer available Cross Terrain SUVs.

Although I checked prices and availability with The Tire Rack, I also called a very reputable local shop that often betters or equals The Tire Rack's prices. To my surprise, the local shop stated they would not install Latitude Touring tires on an RX350. They stated Michelin does not recommend using these tires on an RX350 because the factory MXV4 tires have a 'V' rating (149 mph)vs a 'T' rating (118 mph) for the Latitude Touring tires. I called Michelin and they verified this. Michelin and the local shop both said the Latitude Touring tire is not the proper tire for an RX350. They both also stated that it was not necessary to exceed the rated speed (118 mph for a 'T' rating) to misapply the tires. I suspect it really does not matter as I cannot imagine exceeding 90 mph for any extended period but I am not going to take any risks.

Michelin does manufacture an 'HP' version of the Latitude Touring tire that is 'V' rated but it does not come in the required 235/55R18 size.

It turns out the old Cross Terrain SUVs, as good as they were, were also 'T' rated and were also not appropriate for the RX300. I bought them from a large tire chain (Tire Kingdom) that I always perceived as being less than fully trustworthy. This just goes to show it is important to trust ones instinct, use a known reputable business, and not get seduced by exceptionally good prices without fully researching what you are buying.
Old 04-01-11, 05:10 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally, I thought perhaps it was not so much for the Speed Rating of the Latitude vs. OEM (T vs. V) as it was the Load Index of the Latitude vs. OEM. However, seems they are the same according to a look at TireRack (99 vs. 99). Thought it might have been 99 vs. 100. Meaning the max load would be 55 lbs. less. Nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

If the tire is rated for use on a SUV, should not make much of a difference if it is T, H, V or W, IMHO. My Bridgestone Alenzas are 100V. The Continental ContiProContact, for example, is rated at 104H. What can one say in comparing the two? Higher load rating on the Conti vs. the Bridgestone, however, it has the lower "H" speed rating at "only" 130MPH.

Only thing remaining of note is that the UTQG Temperature (Resistance) Grade on the Latitude is only a B compared to many of the replacements that are A. Still, not enough to reject the Latitude outright.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
Old 04-02-11, 08:15 AM
beaterKU
Pole Position

I was in the same predicament you are a few months back. I was not very happy with the stock Michelin's and wanted something different. After searching around, I went with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. My wife loves the way the car drives now. The ride is a little rougher, but not enough for my wife to even notice.
Old 04-02-11, 09:37 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had a 2011 RX350 as a loaner from Lexus while my car was in the shop (new hybrid transaxle - thank God for the extended warranty). I noticed the tires were the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but the size was 235/60/18 vs the 235/55/18 on the previous generation. How bad would it be for you to go with a 60 profile vs the 55?

That being said, there are other good alternatives in the 235/55/18. I've heard good things about the Yokohama ENvigor...

Last edited by rcy; 04-02-11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 09:57 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Did you notice any reduction in fuel economy with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas? Also, what are your thoughts with respect to handling and stability? The Bridgestones have a slightly smaller diameter but a deeper tread and are heavier so I do not know what these differences mean with respect to economy and performance.

I have always had excellent performance from Michelin tires so I am somewhat reticent to use the Bridgestones. However, when comparing The Tire Rack's survey responses the Bridgestones significantly outperform the Michelin MXV4's in all catagories. In fact, the survey responses are almost identical to the Michelin Latitude Touring Tire.

I will make a decision by Monday morning but what usually is a straightforward choice now has me undecided what would be best. Two to three years is a long time to be stuck with the wrong tire, especially if the car does not handle well.
Old 04-02-11, 05:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
I just had a 2011 RX350 as a loaner from Lexus while my car was in the shop (new hybrid transaxle - thank God for the extended warranty). I noticed the tires were the Michelin Latitude Tour HP but the size was 235/60/18 vs the 235/55/18 on the previous generation. How bad would it be for you to go with a 60 profile vs the 55?

That being said, there are other good alternatives in the 235/55/18. I've heard good things about the Yokohama ENvigor...
235/60VR18 is now the base wheel. Would definitely throw your speedometer off.
Old 04-03-11, 09:52 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

After two sets of Michelin MXV and two sets of Bridgestone Dueller Alenza, I am going with the new Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring for the next set on our AWD RX330.
Old 04-03-11, 10:03 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest you get the Continental Extremecontact DWS or the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred.
Old 04-03-11, 11:57 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I would suggest you get the Continental Extremecontact DWS or the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred.
Our 2002 CPO RX300 came with new Goodyear OEM tires (I do not remember the model). They were terrible. Even in a light rain they were slippery and in a heavy rain the car was almost uncontrollable. I cannot imagine how these tires were acceptable to anyone. With only 10,000 miles on them I easily came to the conclusion that they had to go and I replaced them with truly excellent Michelin Cross Terrain's. What a huge positive difference. My previous experience with Goodyear tires was almost 30 years ago but it was just as bad. I cannot imagine the situation that would force me to take another chance with Goodyear products.
Old 04-03-11, 12:00 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Batman with all due respect, Continental tires are not very good tires. I know too many people that had them on their cars. including stock on my wife`s 06 C-280. They become very noisy,and uneven tread wear. Michelin, or Yokohama`s in my opinion.
Old 04-03-11, 04:52 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The reason they probably do not want you to use the lower speed rating is that the sidewalls are not as stiff. This will have implications for the suspension system tuning, and might not corner that well.
Old 04-03-11, 05:21 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

You can't write off an entire brand because some tire models are rubbish.

The top Continental and Goodyear tires are very good. I agree that the Michelin Latitude Tour HP is the way to go but since it isn't available, I think these are your best options.

The reviews on tire rack suggest these tires are amazing, and the cars I have driven with these tires (Lexus GS on Continental DWS and BMW 550i on Goodyear Assurance Comfortred showed a very good ride with great handling.

Would not recommend a T rating tire. The problem with these tires is that your car completely destabilizes if you have to swerve to avoid something.
Old 04-03-11, 08:34 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

You can't write off an entire brand because some tire models are rubbish.

Would not recommend a T rating tire. The problem with these tires is that your car completely destabilizes if you have to swerve to avoid something.
Although I am not a slow driver, the 'T' rated speed of 110 mph is just well beyond anything I would expect to drive even for a limited dash. I typically will due 80-85 for extended periods in a 70 mph speed limit and have been known to push 95 or so on the way to the next rest plaza when a passenger was on the verge of becoming 'explosively' sick. Assuming the load rating and size is correct, I think it is reasonable to expect a 'T' rated tire to handle the mechanical stresses and heat of any speed and any condition below 110 mph. I've found nothing but opinions that indicates the speed rating makes a tire any less safe as long as the rated speed is not exceeded. In any case, I do believe the 'V' rated tires probably have more margin built in to them when not approaching their rated speeds so I made the decision to go with the Bridgestones since they have such excellent ratings on the various surveys.

With respect to writing off an entire brand I absolutely think that is not unreasonable. I had two bad experiences, albeit separated by a number of years, with Goodyear tires that very adversely effected the handling and safety of the car. I never had similar experiences with Michelin, Perelli, or Bridgestone (and I have bought a lot of tires over the past 42 years) so I am not about to be a fool and risk a third try with them. Also, and I have long memories for this type of thing, a Goodyear branded tire outlet tried to take advantage of me years ago when I had a flat away from home on a Goodyear OEM tire. I am done with Goodyear and have indeed written off the entire brand. Out 2009 had Goodyear tires on it when we bought it and the dealer, at our request, swapped them with Michelins from another new RX350.
Old 04-04-11, 07:18 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

^Fair enough. But please heed my warning regarding the soft tire wall tires on SUVs. Because SUVs are top heavy, if you swerve around say a dog thats on the road, the swerving will cause an SUV to start rocking left to right. The soft sidewall tires amplify this effect and increase the likelihood the vehicle will be destabilized. This is the largest risk of accident in an SUV.

Reviews will tell you if the tirewall is soft. Alternatively you can buy an XL load factor tire (XL means they are designed for extra load which means stiffer sidewalls.
Old 04-04-11, 09:18 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Batman, your advice is appreciated.

BTW, today, while making an appointement to have the 'V' rated Bridgestone Dueller Alenza's installed Thursday morning, I found out from my local respected tire dealer that Bridgestone is now offering a $100 MIR in the form of an Amx card. I will save $279, including the MIR, as compared to the out the door cost of 'T' rated Michelin Latitude Touring tires.

Quick Reply: Michelin not Recommend Latitude Touring for RX350