RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Michelin not Recommend Latitude Touring for RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 11:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RhoXS
Batman, your advice is appreciated.

BTW, today, while making an appointement to have the 'V' rated Bridgestone Dueller Alenza's installed Thursday morning, I found out from my local respected tire dealer that Bridgestone is now offering a $100 MIR in the form of an Amx card. I will save $279, including the MIR, as compared to the out the door cost of 'T' rated Michelin Latitude Touring tires.
For those interested in the current promotion details:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/promotions
Old 04-04-11, 11:30 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by *Batman*
^Fair enough. But please heed my warning regarding the soft tire wall tires on SUVs. Because SUVs are top heavy, if you swerve around say a dog thats on the road, the swerving will cause an SUV to start rocking left to right. The soft sidewall tires amplify this effect and increase the likelihood the vehicle will be destabilized. This is the largest risk of accident in an SUV.

Reviews will tell you if the tirewall is soft. Alternatively you can buy an XL load factor tire (XL means they are designed for extra load which means stiffer sidewalls.

I am not aware of anything in the specifications for Tire Speed Ratings that has anything to do with tire sidewall construction. Believe that varies from tire-to-tire, brand-to-brand.

Would think the Load Index value to be indicative of sidewall construction, but again, there is nothing in the spec that specifically states that one is stiffer than the other.

Am curious to know where you got your data that correlates speed ratings and sidewall construction.
Old 04-04-11, 04:24 PM
hutchcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires not recomended ??

I am new to this site so I will try not to be negative,"but" anyway. I just put on 4 new Michelin Latitude Tour 235/55R18 99T on our 2004 RX330 took off the Bridgstone STONE like rock riding off the vehicle, Disount Tire did not try to talk me into a much higher dollar tire, do your research and not go by some of the things people think, only real world experiance which you probably are unable to get from internet. IMO unless you will be driving over 100MPH, not in the Continental USA for extended periods of time in over 90 degrees F they are trying to sell you on something you might not need. the vehicle might weigh 4500 Lbs. so look up what a 99 rating is times 4 and remember that in a sharp turn you might have 50 % of the vehicle weight on that side for an instant, not sustained. there is also the ABC ratings for heat ect. there is a lot of bull in some of the readings here, maybe depends on what part of the country but why would they recomend them here and not somewhere else ? in another time I was a truck technician for 20 years at a large company and tires and fuel are the most expenses you have, they were very on top of tire maint. do not go cheap on tires and check the DATE of Manufacture code.

Last edited by hutchcat; 04-04-11 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-04-11, 05:19 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^Fair enough. But please heed my warning regarding the soft tire wall tires on SUVs. Because SUVs are top heavy, if you swerve around say a dog thats on the road, the swerving will cause an SUV to start rocking left to right. The soft sidewall tires amplify this effect and increase the likelihood the vehicle will be destabilized. This is the largest risk of accident in an SUV.

Reviews will tell you if the tirewall is soft. Alternatively you can buy an XL load factor tire (XL means they are designed for extra load which means stiffer sidewalls.
Suspension design must play a major part in handling - my wife's Chevy Equinox came with Latitude Tour, T rated tires, and while I haven't had to swerve around any errant dogs, the handling has been more than adequate.
Old 04-04-11, 05:39 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Continental DWS on my 2011 A4 and despite having a low profile (18" sport package), I haven't experienced any issues with the soft sidewall that some have reported.

I had the ComforTred on my 2001 A4 and it was a very nice, quiet tire. I am expecting the touring version to be even better and will be putting it on our RX for this Fall.

As usual, YMMV.
Old 04-04-11, 07:03 PM
beaterKU
Pole Position

Did you notice any reduction in fuel economy with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas? Also, what are your thoughts with respect to handling and stability? The Bridgestones have a slightly smaller diameter but a deeper tread and are heavier so I do not know what these differences mean with respect to economy and performance.

I have always had excellent performance from Michelin tires so I am somewhat reticent to use the Bridgestones. However, when comparing The Tire Rack's survey responses the Bridgestones significantly outperform the Michelin MXV4's in all catagories. In fact, the survey responses are almost identical to the Michelin Latitude Touring Tire.

I will make a decision by Monday morning but what usually is a straightforward choice now has me undecided what would be best. Two to three years is a long time to be stuck with the wrong tire, especially if the car does not handle well.
I haven't notice any changes in mileage. She consistently gets 22-23. I feel that the car feels more stable on the highway at speed. Handling even feels a little crisper. It has been so long since the Michelin's were new, I don't remember what they were like new. The Bridgestones are also fantastic in the snow!
Old 04-04-11, 07:44 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

In regards of tire speed rating, I’d stick to manufacturer recommended one. It is not just about speed, but about handling.
I had on my Acura Bridgestone V-rated tires after Michelins've been gone. Once Bridgestone V-rated wore out, I replaced them with H-rated, same brand/model. Big mistake! Huge! Car handling suffered drastically. So, I learned it hard way.
V-rated and H-rated tires have different sidewall stiffness. Wall stuffiness affects car handling much more than someone can expect. For SUV this can be detrimental, in case if you have to do quick maneuver to avoid collision or obstacle on the road.
Old 04-05-11, 07:39 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Originally Posted by hutchcat
... they are trying to sell you on something you might not need.
That is actually not the case. In lieu of the 'T' rated Michelin Latitude Touring tires they suggested the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. The Bridgestones out the door are not only about $200 less than the OEM Michelin MXV4's would have been but the Bridgestones' also now have a $100 MIR.

I am not willing to take any chances with sudden unexpected tire failures. As soon as I verified directly with Michelin their 'T' rated tires were not appropriate for the RX350, I lost interest in them. I typical drive 80-85 in 70 mph speed limits. At those speeds it is likely impossible to tolerate a sudden tire failure and still maintain control. Sudden tire failures kill people. Last night, right here in Stuart, Florida, three children were killed on I95 when the right rear tire on a SUV blew out and the driver lost control. Years ago I experienced a blow out at about 60 mph when driving an old heavy metal Buick and it was very difficult to maintain control, even though the car was not anywhere as top heavy as the RX350 is. A difference in price is just not worth taking any risk (but in this case it was less expensive to go with the higher rated tire).
Old 04-05-11, 12:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

That is actually not the case. In lieu of the 'T' rated Michelin Latitude Touring tires they suggested the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's. The Bridgestones out the door are not only about $200 less than the OEM Michelin MXV4's would have been but the Bridgestones' also now have a $100 MIR.

I am not willing to take any chances with sudden unexpected tire failures. As soon as I verified directly with Michelin their 'T' rated tires were not appropriate for the RX350, I lost interest in them. I typical drive 80-85 in 70 mph speed limits. At those speeds it is likely impossible to tolerate a sudden tire failure and still maintain control. Sudden tire failures kill people. Last night, right here in Stuart, Florida, three children were killed on I95 when the right rear tire on a SUV blew out and the driver lost control. Years ago I experienced a blow out at about 60 mph when driving an old heavy metal Buick and it was very difficult to maintain control, even though the car was not anywhere as top heavy as the RX350 is. A difference in price is just not worth taking any risk (but in this case it was less expensive to go with the higher rated tire).

Like yourself, those of us who reside in FL have to factor in the blistering summer heat of the asphalt in our decisions.

Now, everyone get out their tire air pressure gauges and go out and check their tires. Under inflated tires are the leading cause of tire failures and poor handling.
Old 04-05-11, 03:06 PM
cmichael
Driver

I just put on 4 new Michelin Latitude Tour 235/55R18 99T on our 2004 RX330
Hutchcat.....I just purchased the same tires from Discount Tire Direct for my 2007 RX350. They were offering free shipping with a $70 rebate, so I figure that saved me about $135. THe tires arrived today and I'll have them installed next week. I'll be interested in knowing how you like yours after you have them on for a while.

99% of my driving is in town and on the few times I'm on the highway, I rarely exceed 70 MPH. I'm looking forward to the ride difference. Currently have Goodyear Eagles with a couple of flat spots. Bumpaty bumpaty for a few blocks until they heat up.
Old 04-05-11, 08:51 PM
hutchcat
Driver School Candidate

Default Latitude on 04 330 1000 miles

this might be too soon to say and the take offs were 50% worn the alenzas were very noisey on New Mexico roads, mostly asfault little concrete. this is the desert heat little rain ect. I have never had an issue with any michelin tires from our S60 to the F350 I work out of, the bridgestones always seem to be a little stiffer riding but a tough tire, IMO not for ride comfort the new latitudes we have on now have 1000 miles on them and so far great. getting 20 MPG in town. that being said now lets blow up the suggested tire inflation pressure, the take offs had edge wear badly, not just due to city driving but they had been kept at 30 psi=recomended by manufacture, I weighed the rx330 at a local scale it is at 4230 with driver, me not heavy by the way""
so I run the latitudes as
F=36 R=32 and I will see if they wear better than the alenzas.
yes al;ighnment is fine and ride is still better with latitudes plus the MPG.
Old 04-27-11, 11:45 AM
Poppi
Driver School Candidate

Oh please.......... the Continental ContiProContact tires were the worst tires I've ever had on any suv or or 'regular' car. I've only owned 42 vehicles since I was 15 years old. I took a beating on the 'things' just to get another set of Michelins'.

I am partial to Michelin's. However, the CrossTerrain's I had on the RX300 I had did not have ANY traction on wet roads. Michelin always in the past had good traction on wet surfaces. I replaced the Conti's with a set of Michelin Lattitudes. I got the smooth ride from them as I had in the past. Would I buy another set of Lattitudes, .....NO. They caused a lot of swaying and forever having to correct. Otherwise very good.
Old 04-27-11, 11:51 AM
Poppi
Driver School Candidate

I have a set of Goodyear Eagles on my 2007 RX350. They have a lot of road feel; more firmer ride, that I never experienced with Michelin's. More noisy too than Michelin. Not as much gas mileage with them either. I don't like any tires that are noisy. I would not have Bridgestone Alenza's because of noise. Continental ContiProContact produced lots of road noise too.
Old 08-03-12, 12:57 PM
TLeih
Driver School Candidate

This scares me. My wife just had Discount Tires put Michelin Latitude Tours on her 2008 RX 350. Does anyone know of hard data that says this is a mistake? Discount proints out a disclamer at the bottom of the sales slip saying we chosen a tire that is not the original.
Old 12-23-12, 10:03 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I just put a set of Latitude Tours on our 06 RX400h and they are great. Much better than the Energy S8s. I wish I had switched to them years ago. The Tours are much more stable than the S8 which always felt like mush to me. So far they make a similar amount of noise and the MPG is the same. Wet traction is much improved.

Quick Reply: Michelin not Recommend Latitude Touring for RX350