RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Fuel Injector / Fuel Injectors Noise / Engine Ticking & Tapping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 08:15 AM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Injector / Fuel Injectors Noise / Engine Ticking & Tapping Noise

Facing this issue on my RX330 so figure I'd put the summary from a few other posts here for those facing the same issue: TSB# EG005-05 / EG005 - 05

Originally Posted by teamtbo
Yep, go into the dealership and tell them you want TSB EG005-05 performed: "Some customers with 2004 – 2005 model year RX 330 vehicles may complain of a“ticking” noise from the engine compartment when the engine is idling. Updated fuel main tube and fuel tube clamps are now available."

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Have noticed the tapping lately which I believe to be the fuel injectors. Have had the dash noises since day one. After 3 attempts to repair it by the dealer I just learned to live with it.

Originally Posted by johncdoyle
I had the engine ticking noise...The ticking sounded like valve noise, but it was the injectors. This is addressed by TSB #EG005 - 05. Parts included a fuel pipe sub assembly and a damper assembly. The service manager said it doesn't satisfy everyone, but it worked for me.

Originally Posted by donmatt
Once the engine gets warmed in my '07 RX it is quiet as it can be.The loud ticking disappears. I used my stethoscope on the engine while cold and the ticking noise I hear seems to be coming from the fuel injectors. My suggestion to Lexus to provide some type of insulation blanket to cover the area went nowhere.

Originally Posted by LEP XEP
My 2007 has loud ticking noise when cold too. I took it to my dealer and complained 2 times now. My friend who work in there said the noise coming from the fuel injectors. After warm up a few minutes, it quiet down but not as quiet as my 2003 Camry with 115k miles....

Thanks,
James
Old 03-16-11, 07:55 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have noticed the tapping lately which I believe to be the fuel injectors. Have had the dash noises since day one. After 3 attempts to repair it by the dealer I just learned to live with it

i no longer have any warranty, but am also glad its not a pressing issue, wont cause any damage, just annoying.
Old 03-16-11, 09:45 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
Have noticed the tapping lately which I believe to be the fuel injectors. Have had the dash noises since day one. After 3 attempts to repair it by the dealer I just learned to live with it

i no longer have any warranty, but am also glad its not a pressing issue, wont cause any damage, just annoying.
What are the dash noises? My wife heard a loud pop like if you were to leave an empty water bottle in your car while she was driving. Is it something like that? Just a single loud pop.
Old 04-05-11, 03:44 PM
NEWRXOWNR
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a similar issue on my 2010 RX 350. Dealer said it was the fuel injectors.

Mine is a tapping or ticking. Happens on a cold start, and is in sync with the load (i.e., when I accelerate, the tapping gets faster, the faster I accelerate, the louder the sound. Lessens as the car warms up, almost goes away completely and barely audible once the car is warmed up after 5-10 minutes.

You can *kinda* hear it when it is idle, but not really, the car needs to be in gear.

Taking it to the dealer again to have it looked at. They were a little ambiguous with the first attempt.

I have read lots of posts of similar problems all over the map, from the RX to the ES to the IS, even Toyotas.
Old 05-18-11, 08:42 PM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have luck with Lexus Corporate in helping out with the bill on this?
Old 01-16-12, 02:46 AM
neebishis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold engine noise.........

Just my .02.....I have owned several Toyota vehicles in the last 10 years or so. I'm convinced the noise we are hearing is piston rattle. Pistons today are so short skirted to minimize friction, that if they are on the loose side of tolerances, they will rattle when cold. As they warm and expand, the noise goes away . The aluminum piston will expand at a much greater rate than will the cast iron sleeve they ride in. I had a Toyota pickup that rattled no worse with 200,000 miles on it than it did at 50,000 miles. I sold it to a young kid......last I knew it was close to 275,000 and still going strong. Not to worry!

Ken