RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Please help me with cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 02:54 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Please help me with cabin noise

Hello!

I bought a used 2004 rx330, AWD with 122000 miles. I could here loud cabin noise but Ar first we thought it was from the tires. Than some say it is wheel bearings. Others say it might be a differencial bearing. I live in Angola and mechanics here are more tentative. They make you change parts almost at random untill you have the problem solved. And parts are very expensive here. So please pay atention to my symptoms:

- the car has 255/35r20 tires, performance design.
- from about 70kmh a soud like wow wow wow wow becomes noteceable. This wow wow waw waw waw sound increases in pitch and frequency with speed increase. It seems to become less noise ate higher speeds.
- changed drives side, front , wheel bearing, no help. Have one new for the passenger side, but I am not sure if it is really bad, because the one I replaced loocked good.
- also, on a lift, I noticed that the back right wheel will not follow the others. It is slower.
- noise is 'best' heard with the windows closed.
- noise remains in neutral, so it is not the transmission (?).
- I do not hear a roar nor do I feel wheel play.

Note that I have a check engine light on, but no ecu reader where I currently am. Might find one in 2 weeks. Is there a way for this to be related to the noise?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eliaquim; 03-13-14 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 03:27 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hello,
I think your problem is that the plastic covering underneath your seat has come loose. I had a problem as well, the double-sided tape detached causing the plastic covering to slap up against the bottom of the truck directly below the driver's seat. This problem is solved by trimming the plastic piece.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Old 03-12-14, 03:49 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

I would focus on the tires and bearing components. My guess is it is one or the other. Google testing for bad wheel bearing or YouTube it and you will see tat raising the car an string to move wheel in and out with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock will determine if you have play in the bearing.
Old 03-12-14, 03:56 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Thank you Mr. Diverchris!
I will check for that as soon as I can. Let me advance that it might be, because the noise is more noteceable from the drivers sit. However, it seems to be coming either form under the hood or from the back, right side.

And just trying to identify the noise, it is more like some rotating thing is touching somewhere. Or like the roaring of a wheel bearing, but it is not constant. It roars, half a seconde, roars, half a second, and so on. The time between roars decreases with speed and the sound changes to a higher frequency.
Old 03-12-14, 04:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Eliaquim.

Here is some reading on possibly what diverchris was talking about. There are other plastic trays under the vehicle as well. You can try removing these for testing, however, best to put them back in the end.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...of-driver.html

Not sure if this helps any but it is a cheap test to perform to get it out of the way.

Next, would check the rear wheel bearings and all tires.
Old 03-12-14, 04:00 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
I would focus on the tires and bearing components. My guess is it is one or the other. Google testing for bad wheel bearing or YouTube it and you will see tat raising the car an string to move wheel in and out with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock will determine if you have play in the bearing.
Thanks! However, I do not notice any wheel play using this method. Only thing I notice with the car lift is the right back wheel not rotating at the same speed as the others. Might it be related to the noise?
Old 03-12-14, 04:02 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

And just trying to identify the noise, it is more like some rotating thing is touching somewhere. Or like the roaring of a wheel bearing, but it is not constant. It roars, half a seconde, roars, half a second, and so on. The time between roars decreases with speed and the sound changes to a higher frequency.
Old 03-12-14, 04:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

There are many threads on the wheel bearing issue, which is common on 2nd Generation AWD RX. For example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ear-rx330.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l-bearing.html

There are others you can search for here at CL.
Old 03-12-14, 04:17 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
There are many threads on the wheel bearing issue, which is common on 2nd Generation AWD RX. For example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ear-rx330.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l-bearing.html

There are others you can search for here at CL.
Thanks! I will try the easy, cheap plastic panels fix first, althoug I have few of them remaining, then I will focus on the bearings again.
Old 03-12-14, 04:20 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Ok, thank you. Please enlighten me. If it were tires, woudn't the noise appear even in moderate speeds? My tires are larger than stock, so it could be. Also, Are those V shaped treads noisier?
Old 03-12-14, 04:23 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

One thing I forgot to mention is that out of the asphalt, on dirt roads, the noise is almost imperceptible at the same speeds. Why would it be?
Old 03-12-14, 04:39 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

i honestly think it's the tires....can you find another set that's 18" or 17"?
Old 03-12-14, 04:43 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Running 255/35r20 on a RX330? That is most unusual, clearance must be close? Wheels that large will equal a rough ride, you will feel every bump on the road. In any event the RX330 AWD is known for wheel bearing issues. You may have a tire and wheel bearing issue.
Old 03-13-14, 02:10 AM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
i honestly think it's the tires....can you find another set that's 18" or 17"?
Yes, I can find a set for 1700 USD just the tires. I will end changing them because of other factors like suspension wear and ride quality. However, and because of the prices, I would like to try the easy, cheap fixes first, like the panels underneath. Then I will try the wheels.

Last edited by Eliaquim; 03-13-14 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 03:31 PM
Eliaquim
Driver

Originally Posted by diverchris
hello,
I think your problem is that the plastic covering underneath your seat has come loose. I had a problem as well, the double-sided tape detached causing the plastic covering to slap up against the bottom of the truck directly below the driver's seat. This problem is solved by trimming the plastic piece.
I hope this helps,
Chris

I finally went on and checked this. Removed a panel and glued the others. Still same noise.

One kore thing is tjat I can feel in the acceleration pedal that something is dry. Possible?

Quick Reply: Please help me with cabin noise