RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 Rear door problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 01:15 PM
MLBEATBOX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 Rear door problem

Hello,

I have an 05' RX330 and I have had problems with the automatic opening rear door closing by itself once it reaches (almost) fully open. A few weeks ago I was loading something in the back and it happened again so I (forcefully) pushed it back up. Wish I would have kept my "cool".... Now it doesn't work! Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a reset issue? Wondering if I may have ruined the pistons, or motor, and need to replace one or both. I know the pistons (for both) are around $500 for the pair... OUCH!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-11-11, 01:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you tried opening the rear hatch manually?
Old 02-13-11, 01:17 PM
Iowa330
Driver School Candidate

I have the same year and make. I don't have any advice but keep us posted to what your solution was.
Old 02-13-11, 01:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You might try using some liquid silicone fluid and lubricate the struts on the hatch. It may be that the sensor is tripping due to too much force. I'd not use WD40 or anything that thin but I'd not use a paste either.
The following users liked this post:
Party (01-20-18)
Old 02-13-11, 04:44 PM
js0l0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my RX330. I Lubricated both the struts and the hinges at the top with white lithium grease, and I have not had a problem since (6 months ago).
The following users liked this post:
Temi (10-23-20)
Old 02-14-11, 05:42 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Also might be a good idea to actually just manually lift the tail gate to full extension and then close the door firmly. I have the odd issue every so often where the automatic tail gate won't engage with the key or the door. For me it looks as though the door was not fully and although the locking mechanism engaged and there are no beeps or lights to say it is open, I suspect the switch requires a little bit of "manual override" and then works for a long time after that.
Old 02-16-11, 02:52 PM
MLBEATBOX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did lube the piston shafts with Mobil 28 (the best grease on earth), but that's not my problem. The pistons help move the weight of the heavy door. When there is too much stress on the motor, which does most of the work, it overloads and lets the door come down and shut itself. Lubrication is definitely the cure for that. The problem I'm having is with the actual motor (or associated gears or drives) which is near the hinge, above the headliner. I'm not sure yet if the motor needs replacing ($1,000+ from my local dealer) or a gear that drives the hinge arm needs replacing or resetting. After this happened, I opened the door manually, and exercised it a few times. It was working fine until 2 days ago... Now it wont open manually more then 6 inches! I'm a pretty mechanical guy, but with having to remove the headliner, deal with broken clips, dented foam and torn fabric, I may just suck it up and take it to the dealer... Again, OUCH! I'll post the outcome after I decide how to go about fixing this!
Old 03-07-11, 06:06 PM
delraym
Driver School Candidate

i can only close my rear door halfway and then it won't go down any further. it's not working at all in power mode. anyone have any experience with this? thanks
Old 03-08-11, 11:19 AM
gifford546
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 with the same problem. I am actually at the dealer now getting the motor replaced. I had a feeling it was a pricy repair. Luckily its still under the CPO bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 12-11-11, 06:13 AM
margaret75
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Originally Posted by MLBEATBOX
Thanks for the responses everyone. I did lube the piston shafts with Mobil 28 (the best grease on earth), but that's not my problem. The pistons help move the weight of the heavy door. When there is too much stress on the motor, which does most of the work, it overloads and lets the door come down and shut itself. Lubrication is definitely the cure for that. The problem I'm having is with the actual motor (or associated gears or drives) which is near the hinge, above the headliner. I'm not sure yet if the motor needs replacing ($1,000+ from my local dealer) or a gear that drives the hinge arm needs replacing or resetting. After this happened, I opened the door manually, and exercised it a few times. It was working fine until 2 days ago... Now it wont open manually more then 6 inches! I'm a pretty mechanical guy, but with having to remove the headliner, deal with broken clips, dented foam and torn fabric, I may just suck it up and take it to the dealer... Again, OUCH! I'll post the outcome after I decide how to go about fixing this!

I think that this may also have happened to my RX330. How did you go about fixing? Cost? Thanks.
Old 12-18-11, 07:06 PM
vteazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having this exact same issue on my 05 when using the automatic open function. It opens fully, then beeps and begins to lower on its own. Might try some lubricant on the struts, but I fear it's an issue with the motor.

I can open the rear hatch manually without an issue, other than having to be a bit forceful with it. Don't want to cause further damage to anything.

what to do......

Originally Posted by MLBEATBOX
Hello,

I have an 05' RX330 and I have had problems with the automatic opening rear door closing by itself once it reaches (almost) fully open. A few weeks ago I was loading something in the back and it happened again so I (forcefully) pushed it back up. Wish I would have kept my "cool".... Now it doesn't work! Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a reset issue? Wondering if I may have ruined the pistons, or motor, and need to replace one or both. I know the pistons (for both) are around $500 for the pair... OUCH!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-08-12, 05:27 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

I have a 2006. It does the same thing. Goes up to top, beeps four times and comes right down again. After pressing the open hatch button on the RC (or dash button) and going up and than right down it eventually goes up and stays there. I replaced the multi-plex computer 89222-0E020. It didn't make any differnece. Now I'm thinking it might be a sensor. Basically I'm stumped. It's a nice feature only wished it would work properly. Jamie
Old 12-16-12, 07:41 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

Update. Still doing it. it seems to be temperature related. Wish a real Lexus tech reads this thread and offers a solution (if there is one) . merry christmas . jamie
Old 10-08-13, 01:57 PM
spratt23
Driver School Candidate

The hatch on my RX-330 does the same thing but only in weather below 60 degrees. Lexus replaced the struts in April 2012 and now the problem is back. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-13, 02:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spratt23
The hatch on my RX-330 does the same thing but only in weather below 60 degrees. Lexus replaced the struts in April 2012 and now the problem is back. Any ideas?
Welcome to Club Lexus, spratt23.

You can try cleaning the struts and applying some lubricant to see if that helps any. Would try a silicone spray

Quick Reply: 2005 RX330 Rear door problem