RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 Rear door problem

Old 10-17-13, 01:48 PM
spratt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 Rear door problem

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, spratt23.

You can try cleaning the struts and applying some lubricant to see if that helps any. Would try a silicone spray
No, tried that already; it is a temperature issue. Rear Hatch works fine at temperatures over 60 or if the car is sitting in the sun; temperature drops below 60 and the hatch goes up fine but comes right back down when it hits the top position. Naturally it won't recreate at the dealer because of the warm temperature in the garage.
Old 10-17-13, 02:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spratt23
No, tried that already; it is a temperature issue. Rear Hatch works fine at temperatures over 60 or if the car is sitting in the sun; temperature drops below 60 and the hatch goes up fine but comes right back down when it hits the top position. Naturally it won't recreate at the dealer because of the warm temperature in the garage.
Temperature only related problems with the struts in cold weather are normally attributed to weak struts which should be replaced. Lexus may have replaced them for you, however, they seem to be faulty if cleaning and lubrication has not helped the cold weather situation. You might want to talk to the dealership over your displeasure at the current situation.

If you care to take on the job yourself you should have a look at these:

http://autopartsbylou.com/lift-suppo...=mmy&x=14&y=10

FWIW, I still have the original OEM struts on the hatch of my 2004 RX330. Never been replaced. Work fine even in the cold winters of PA when I have been north for the holidays.
Old 01-15-14, 07:25 AM
Matt L
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2005 RX330 and I live in cold Minnesota. I have had this problem as well. I had the rear hatch motor replaced at the dealer 2 weeks ago. On colder days, if I push either the dash button or key button, the rear hatch will open properly, but then it will beep, and then close. I wondered if the support struts were going bad and not holding it open. I did a little experiment. I pushed the hatch open button (tried both the dash and key) and the hatch opened. As the hatch neared the top of its open position, I placed my hand on the hatch to support it so it would not drop down. Zingo! It stayed open. This confirmed to me that the struts are bad. You can try this yourself to see if you get the same results. I will definitely not pay $500 at the dealer for rear struts. Thanks to RX330inFL for posting the link to liftsupportsdept.com. Looks like we can get both rear hatch struts for $60 plus shipping.
Matt
Old 01-19-14, 04:03 PM
jamieZ
Rookie

It's a common problem. Lexus RX power rear hatch doors are junk. CPU, struts, doesn't matter what you replace the problem never goes away. Break it completely so it doesn't take your head off. Jamie
Old 01-19-14, 05:20 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The fact is that most people do not have a problem with the power hatch door. MattL - change the struts and I bet the problem goes away.
Old 01-19-14, 05:39 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Never had an issue with my 2004 RX350 but I did clean and lube the struts once or twice every year.
Old 08-19-14, 12:23 PM
afterburne
Driver School Candidate

This post will not be a solution but an expression of how I feel. I thought the Lexus was over priced when I purchased it and definitely overpriced to maintain! $1000 for an electric motor and $500 for a lock actuator is ridiculous
Old 08-19-14, 10:56 PM
JJsRX350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info for the $60 lift supports.
Old 10-14-14, 03:29 PM
Thomi123
Driver School Candidate

Default Lift door pistons

I searched the web and found replacement pistons that cost less than $50/pr. They took all of five minutes to replace. They were a bit sticky at first but have since worked well without problem.
Old 10-14-14, 06:22 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a TSB about weak struts on certain years of the RX. The TSB calls for the old struts to be replaced by an updated and stronger version.
Old 11-18-14, 07:42 AM
Trex2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Part# for rear hatch strut replacemnt

Originally Posted by jakenbake
There is a TSB about weak struts on certain years of the RX. The TSB calls for the old struts to be replaced by an updated and stronger version.
Do you have the recommended updated and stronger version part number? Is the link to lifesupportsdepot the old baddies or are they good?

BTW, I just purchased a 2005 Rx330 for my in-laws to drive here in Iowa the next few winters while they watch my baby. It opens, beeps, and closes as previously described by others. I also had to replace the rotors/pads all around and the 90k mile service wasn't performed and I have the foggy headlight issue and the passenger rear taillight wiring is loose (grab it and it comes on, then a few days later off again). Not a good start with used lexus ownership. I bought it based on reputation of the brand as a good resale value (only plan to keep it a couple years) but maintenance is looking to undermine that.

I tried stopping it with my hand and was surprised by the amount of force it closes with. My MIL would definitely be stuck if it closed on her head. I'd rather not have my day-care givers decapitated, although a few of you may disagree if it were your MIL.
Old 11-19-14, 12:24 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

I doubt lifesupportsdepot is selling OEM parts. I don't have the Lexus part number for the new strut. I know it is listed in the bulletin but my subscription in expired right now. If you call the parts desk at the dealership, I am sure they would give it to you.
Old 11-21-14, 02:38 PM
childsucce
Driver School Candidate

Default Have the same issue with my 09 RX350

I am up in Massachusetts and when it started to get colder after this summer ( I had lived in South Carolina) when I used the power button in the car or on the key fob it would open and then close on it's own. In the early fall, this only happened in the colder mornings but now it is all the time.When I lifted manually the door stayed open, so I don't believe it is the struts.

Hope someone gets a fix for this.

Larry
Old 11-21-14, 07:52 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Just because the struts are strong enough to hold the door open doesn't mean they are strong enough to make the motor not think there is an obstruction.
Old 11-22-14, 04:29 AM
childsucce
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jakenbake, hadn't thought of that. Will try some new struts.
Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 RX330 Rear door problem